the album of the year thus far is death cab

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited May 2008 in Other Music
....until MMJ proves me wrong, I guess. 'Grapevine Fires,' 'I Will Possess Your Heart' and 'You Can Do Better Than Me' are fucking amazing. I've been a casual listener for the longest time, but these guys have really branched out and hit a nerve with me this time. Dark, beautiful, awesome album.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    hold steady?
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • MikeoMikeo Posts: 199
    i have not herd the new death cab...but i can tell you that MMJ is going to win this one...Hands down. I think that the only album that can beat Evil Urges is Albert Hammond Jrs. Como TE llama. This is a long Shot. But it could happen.

Ill have to listen to Death Cabs new one. just to make sure.

Mikeo
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    After one time through with Death Cab and MMJ's new albums, I much prefer Death Cab's. As a caveat, I really don't get MMJ. I just can't connect with the music. Death Cab's album is outstanding.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Sorry, and I know this is all opinion obviously, but an emo band cannot get 'album of the year'...ever.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • SpeakersSpeakers Posts: 252
    I usually don't spend much time in this area but after listening to the new death cab I had to come see what people were saying about it. I like a lot of their stuff but this album blows it all away. I'm on my 10th listen already...and it has been getting better each time.

I love the rawness of it. You can really feel this music...something that is lacking from a lot of new stuff these days. Album of the year so far.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I've never liked Death Cab...and I've never liked emo..so I guess it makes sense. As far as MMJ go they are a great real rock n' roll band and probably in the top 3 bands on the planet right now. Indie/emo bands like Death Cab are kind of neat but have got nothing on the awesomeness of MMJ.
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Death Cab is no where near emo... are you people fucking dumb?
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Well, I guess it's how you define it... haha. Stupid words, stupid English language and its ambiguity.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • tmud91087tmud91087 Posts: 97
    As far as albums of this year go I have to give it to The Black Keys Attack and Release...Ive had it since April first and every week i get stuck on a song. Week one it had song 1 on repeat and couldnt get passed it until i realized number 2 was amazing, then number 3, and it just keeps getting better. An amazing amazing albums from these guys...Cant wait to see em Saturday!
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
  • fragileblakefragileblake Posts: 716
    I think Nick Cave's record will win for me. I'd also put the new costello and rem above death cab as well.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    evenflow82 wrote:
    Sorry, and I know this is all opinion obviously, but an emo band cannot get 'album of the year'...ever.

I wish the term "emo" would die. I'm pretty sure Death Cab for Cutie is not "emo," but even if they are it's unfair to write a band off due to some pointless label.

Does anyone have some information regarding the Jack Kerouac documentary soundtrack Ben Gibbard has contributed to? I'm dying to know what the release date is. I can't find it anywhere.

Here's the website for anyone who might be interested in the project:

http://www.kerouacfilms.com/kerouac_soundtracks.html
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Just picked up this album on itunes this morning, psyched to give it a listen.

Going to see the Black Keys in NYC tomorrow night though so I'm currently stuck on their new album.

Good problem to have I guess.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
    didn't "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" by spoon come out this year? i don't understand how anyone could like DCFC over spoon. i loathe that band.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    The best thing I've heard and listened to repeatedly is Attack and Release

Brighter than Creation's Dark, which I just recently bought, will probably be my favorite with a few more listens just to be sure

I won't consider Evil Urges officially until it is released, but I have heard it and listened a bunch and it is without a doubt the best
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Death Cab is no where near emo... are you people fucking dumb?

Thank you!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    ^^ I'm not sure what they are, but I certainly am not impressed with whatever it is
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    hobbes wrote:
    didn't "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" by spoon come out this year? i don't understand how anyone could like DCFC over spoon. i loathe that band.

Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga came out last year.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • nothingheadnothinghead Posts: 270
    my money is on Sunday at Devil Dirt - Isobel Campbell/Mark Lanegan
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Never was into or will be into death cab. I heard something from them years ago and hated it. Plus, im not even fond of the name of the band.

MMJ will win. Evil Urges is great. Unless PJ pulls the new album out of their ass somehow this year.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • I love Death Cab but have been having a hard time getting into the new one. Evil Urges on the other hand is completely owning me. Its gonna be tough for anyone to beat it this year....
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    if the whole Death Cab album sounds anything like the first single I'll vote this one WORST album of the year.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    Mikeo wrote:
    i have not herd the new death cab...but i can tell you that MMJ is going to win this one...Hands down. I think that the only album that can beat Evil Urges is Albert Hammond Jrs. Como TE llama. This is a long Shot. But it could happen.

Ill have to listen to Death Cabs new one. just to make sure.

Mikeo

O MAN!!!!! hes making a new record???? awesome.... I LOVED his first one AMAZING
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Just downloaded this cd and it's good, not great. I think it's better than Evil Urges because Highly Suspicious is the worst song I've heard this year.

I'll still take Consolers of the Lonely over both.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • SVRDhand13 wrote:
    if the whole Death Cab album sounds anything like the first single I'll vote this one WORST album of the year.

Surely you must jest. If you've heard the radio cut, they've lopped off about 3 1/2 minutes of the song too. The bad-ass 4 1/2 minute intro is different than anything they've ever done.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • CobbelstoneCobbelstone Posts: 35
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

I fell asleep at a Death Cab show once, honest to God.

I think the radio songs are catchy. I heard that one about I will take over your mind or whatever it was. I can't see buying the album though.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I once recommended Twilight by Elliott Smith to a friend once. She listened to it and then said it was crap and that I should listen to I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab if I wanted to hear real beauty. I nearly cried. At her, not the song.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
    i think DCFC has great singles. their albums i can't stand.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I didn't think it was that special. The lyrics suck, and the music wasn't good enough to make up for that. It isn't bad, it's just not that good either.
    Cock Fight.
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    I've always hated Death Cab, especially that nasally voice, but I'm loving this new album!
  • Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    The Breeders already put out the best album of 08
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."