Options

Who was the first band to resemble Pearl Jam's sound?

2»

Comments

• Options
    webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    yesterday i was just listening to Temple Of The Dog, and i downloaded the video clip for 'Hunger Strike' where Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder do a duet. When Eddie's voice came on i immediately thought "man, that's what the guy from Creed sounds like". So i would definitely have to say that the guy from Creed was heavily influenced by Eddie.

Do check out some Temple of the dog material, it's pretty good stuff.
  • Options
    i disagree i think stp and pearl jam are nothing alike maybe on the song plush they have similair vocals but scott is so much different then eddie and scott is a way better live performer

I saw Scott on his solo stuff and I thought he sucked. I walked out it was so bad. He was wearing like a dancing outfit with almost a tutu on and he was dancing like a complete moran. Totally sucked. Now if Mike Patton and Mr. Bungle did the same thing I would had been in love! Go figure.

STP first attempt was to mirror PJ but not for very long. They did their own thing quickly enough to make their own mark. I love 3rd and 4th album...good stuff. The stuff with Slash howover is crap. Just makes me want to have a new STP album more.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    Totally agree with an earlier post that it was a lazy comparison by the media at the time - one word album titles and songs, same producer, singers mumble - I actually think Eddie was influenced by early Michael Stipe, using his voice as an instrument, more than Weiland being influenced by Vedder. I also agree with an earlier post that Weiland sounds more like Cobain than Vedder.

Both Ten and Core are masterpieces for what they are. Core is much heavier, full of durges, more metal. The bass is more prominent and the drums are Zepplin like- hit it hard and keep time, whereas Ten is full of drum rolls, time changes and a two guitar attack by Mike and Stone.

I hear alot of Zepplin in both bands.

Which band whould do a better cover of When the Levee Breaks?
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • Options
    Neil Young, ragged glory, in a way....
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    I think Scott Weiland sounds more like Kurt Cobain than Eddie Vedder on a lot of songs

EDIT: jesus h christ.. skipped page 2 and someone had already posted this comment
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    core and ten were somewhat similar, after that, STP sounded NOTHING like pearl jam.
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    STP without a doubt.

thank you for plush
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    Code13Code13 Posts: 17
    Stp!

• Options
    MJSB74MJSB74 Posts: 75
    of course it was STP, everybody knows that. its been documented. wish i had a link but youll just have to trust us.

Wtf does that mean?? Its been documented? You mean someone has typed it somewhere on the internet...so it must be true....
  • Options
    KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    enharmonic wrote:
    Peolple have been saying this for years. STP used way more gain than PJ. To me, the first couple of bands were Days of the New, and Seven Mary Three
    I'd have to agree with the Seven Mary Three and/or Creed. I'd say back in the day, when I first heard "Plush," it really had a wicked new sound to it! Besides, most of you weren't even a sparkle in your parents eyes yet.
  • Options
    KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    pipedreams wrote:
    .Which band whould do a better cover of When the Levee Breaks?

I can definately see PJ doing an awesome cover of "When the Levee Breaks!"
  • Options
    i dont think STP are a rip off of pj, however they may have been signed cause they had a similar sound and a record label wanted to cash in on that....
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • Options
    i dont think STP are a rip off of pj, however they may have been signed cause they had a similar sound and a record label wanted to cash in on that....

Now THAT I will agree with!
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    I kind of like STP, can't stand Creed though.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    pipedreams wrote:
    Both Ten and Core are masterpieces for what they are. Core is much heavier, full of durges, more metal. The bass is more prominent and the drums are Zepplin like- hit it hard and keep time, whereas Ten is full of drum rolls, time changes and a two guitar attack by Mike and Stone.

Bullseye. Just not that metal (core). I look at it this way. STP sounds like what guns n roses would sound if they would have ripped off pj back in the day. PJ sounds like what R.E.M. would sound if they were to rip off STP. Sound of albums is what im talking about. But of course i know all of this is silly talking. Use your imagination.

both bands are great.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Never got the STP/Pearl Jam comparisons. Vedder and Weiland did have similar sounding voices on a few tracks from core but that is it. Nothing from Ten even remotely resembles Core. Look at the guitars, bass rifs, drums and especially lyrics. STP got a bad wrap for no damn good reason back in the day.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    MCG wrote:
    Never got the STP/Pearl Jam comparisons. Vedder and Weiland did have similar sounding voices on a few tracks from core but that is it. Nothing from Ten even remotely resembles Core. Look at the guitars, bass rifs, drums and especially lyrics. STP got a bad wrap for no damn good reason back in the day.

Yeah, I love STP but I never really thought STP was a Pearl Jam rip-off. But I do remember Weiland once saying that he wished he had Eddie Vedder's voice...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    So who else is thinking about that celebrity deathmatch between Vedder and Stapp?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,349
    Klumpie wrote:
    I think Candlebox was one of the first that was an ripp off.

candlebox and pearl jam formed around the same time in seattle...pearl jam just broke into the mainstream first. they were from the same scene, had the same friends, hung out together...they were similar, but candlebox didn't rip off pearl jam
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .