Options

Who was the first band to resemble Pearl Jam's sound?

MapleTeaMapleTea Posts: 50
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Was it STP, or was it not until Creed, LIfehouse and all of those bands.
*****no time to be void or save up on life,
you got to spend it all...*****
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    STP for sure...I remember seeing them open for Megadeath (don't ask) way back before Sex Type Thing really broke out and in the beginning that dude was a total Vedder clone.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    STP for sure...I remember seeing them open for Megadeath (don't ask) way back before Sex Type Thing really broke out and in the beginning that dude was a total Vedder clone.

I thought it was STP...That first album Core was very Pearl Jam influenced.
    *****no time to be void or save up on life,
    you got to spend it all...*****
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    STP without a doubt.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    i disagree i think stp and pearl jam are nothing alike maybe on the song plush they have similair vocals but scott is so much different then eddie and scott is a way better live performer
  • Options
    i disagree i think stp and pearl jam are nothing alike maybe on the song plush they have similair vocals but scott is so much different then eddie and scott is a way better live performer

Sorry man, Weiland totally ripped Eddie Vedder off. All the way through Core and even throughout Purple as well. Interstate Love Song certainly has an Ed feel to it. To his credit he ended up changing his style and it was'nt until then that he started to get a bit more respect.

As for him being a better live performer, that is just ludicrus. No way, and thats an unbiased opinion, I love STP as well, but Weiland gets no where near Vedder. Listen to Velvet Revolver, he struggles live
    My life is a disaster zone
  • Options
    of course it was STP, everybody knows that. its been documented. wish i had a link but youll just have to trust us.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    It was STP. Totally agree with previous posts. It's why I had trouble ever getting into their music.
    At first I thought it was just a rip off. Later I could appreciate their music and sound. Because my niece liked them alot and since I appreciate her taste in music I gave them another chance. I think they do or did have their own talent or sound but they definitely were the first to "copy" ," PJ's or Eddie" sound.
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    prljam85prljam85 Posts: 227
    I would say STP were the first but Creed is a closer knockoff of PJ.
  • Options
    DeniDeni Posts: 233
    *jumps on the bandwagon*

Yep... it was STP. For sure! ;)

Peace and Love,
    Deni :)
    "Ideas are bulletproof." --V

Peace and Love
    Deni
    :)
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the rolling stones
    the who
    the beatles
    the kinks
  • Options
    I must be a complete idiot or something, because I've never thought pearl jam and stp sounded the same at all.
  • Options
    See my problem re: the STP/PJ comparisons is that Ten came out in August '91, and Core came out in September '92 - STP began recording the album in April of that year, so that gave them eight months to 'formulate' a sound that emulated Pearl Jam's sound - I just don't buy that. Yeah there are similarities in their styles, but listen to a song like Dead & Bloated and he sounds far more like Layne Stayley than he does Vedder.

And when you say who was the first band to sound most like PJ, are we talking musically or vocalists who sound like Vedder?
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    Peolple have been saying this for years. STP used way more gain than PJ. To me, the first couple of bands were Days of the New, and Seven Mary Three
  • Options
    miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    have you hearc 'Creep' by stone temple pilots?
    sometime i think that IS pearl jam lol
    myspace.com/airstriponeuk
  • Options
    miskin wrote:

Listening to it at the moment, reminds me more of Nirvana than Pearl Jam, Weiland has more drawl in his voice than Vedder, far more akin to Cobain or Stayley. I'd be interested to know what Pearl Jam song or album you think Creep sounds like.
  • Options
    keyser_sozekeyser_soze London, England Posts: 205
    i really think this rip off thing is bull. there is a stp demo under the name mighty joe young from sometime in 1990 with songs from core and other songs. they were playing the same kinda stuff that is on core and scott sounded the same way!!!
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • Options
    i really think this rip off thing is bull. there is a stp demo under the name mighty joe young from sometime in 1990 with songs from core and other songs. they were playing the same kinda stuff that is on core and scott sounded the same way!!!

Well, I don't think anybody "ripped off" anybody. A person can't help the way they sound when they sing, and you are right in saying that they were out and making music before Pearl Jam came out, but the original question wasn't who was the first to rip off Pearl Jam. The question was... Who was the first band to resemble Pearl Jam's sound? Well... that was STP. It just was... no biggie. :D

Peace and Love,

Peace and Love
    Deni
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    I think Candlebox was one of the first that was an ripp off.
  • Options
    scott is one of the best singers live performers of all time so is eddie love them both
  • Options
    Deni wrote:
    Well, I don't think anybody "ripped off" anybody. A person can't help the way they sound when they sing, and you are right in saying that they were out and making music before Pearl Jam came out, but the original question wasn't who was the first to rip off Pearl Jam. The question was... Who was the first band to resemble Pearl Jam's sound? Well... that was STP. It just was... no biggie. :D

Peace and Love,

But if you listen to the two bands carefully there really isn't much of a resemblance at all, and like I said are we talking about the music sounding similar, or Weiland sounding like Vedder?
  • Options
    But if you listen to the two bands carefully there really isn't much of a resemblance at all, and like I said are we talking about the music sounding similar, or Weiland sounding like Vedder?

I will try not to take offence to the accusation that I don't listen carefully. ;)

But I sort of agree with you... and I sort of don't. Personally, I think it depends on the song. I agree with the person that said that Creep sounds like it could have been a Pearl Jam song--musically. And as for Weiland sounding like Vedder, well... yah. They don't sound exactly a like. Weiland's voice is much more gravelly. In that vain it does sound a bit more like Cobain's possibly. But the style is similar. There are other songs by STP that make me think of Pearl Jam too. Interstate Love Song is one. Plush is another. Yes, they don't sound exactly the same, but to this day if I hear Plush come on the radio my ears will perk because for just HALF A SECOND I will think... oh Pearl Jam... no... wait... that's STP! ;)

Peace and Love,

Peace and Love
    Deni
  • Options
    STP came first, but let's not forget Silverchair's Frogstomp. Daniel Johns was mimicking Ed like crazy!
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    miskin wrote:

(but with some of the worst lyrics ever put down on paper, save the chorus maybe)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    corduroy10 wrote:
    STP came first, but let's not forget Silverchair's Frogstomp. Daniel Johns was mimicking Ed like crazy!

Yeah Daniel Johns was trying really hard when Silverchair came out! I'm not really a big Silverchair fan but he has developed his own style over the years.

The only likeness I hear between STP and Pearl Jam is the anthemic songs and powerful singing - to me that is where the similarities end.
  • Options
    I don't know how you can say these bands sounded nothing alike back in the day. I mean, why did STP get so much flac for it, why did Beavis and Butthead make jokes about it, why does this thread exist...? There must be something, right..? Its pretty obvious that Scott doesn't sing his songs in the manner in which he used (And also Ed, for that matter), and thus the comparisons vanished. The songs themselves don't really compare to each other. The same thing with CREED. Their songs never really sounded like Pearl Jam's, but mr Stapp's vocal style is obvoiusly influenced by mr. Vedder's. Now, if you were to compare creed's songs to STP's, well now you have yourself a little originality problem. But thats another thread I guess.
    www.myspace.com/sharkie002
  • Options
    I don't know how you can say these bands sounded nothing alike back in the day. I mean, why did STP get so much flac for it, why did Beavis and Butthead make jokes about it, why does this thread exist...? There must be something, right..? Its pretty obvious that Scott doesn't sing his songs in the manner in which he used (And also Ed, for that matter), and thus the comparisons vanished. The songs themselves don't really compare to each other. The same thing with CREED. Their songs never really sounded like Pearl Jam's, but mr Stapp's vocal style is obvoiusly influenced by mr. Vedder's. Now, if you were to compare creed's songs to STP's, well now you have yourself a little originality problem. But thats another thread I guess.

Because at the time STP hit the scene PJ were pretty damn big, it was an obvious and lazy comparison. I'm not sure what aspect of the music anyone sees as being that similar? I've had people in the past swear blind that they think Pearl Jam are a Nirvana rip-off, some people have strange ways of interpreting music, and people are susceptible to what journalists and the media in general have to say - you only have to look at the term 'grunge' to see that.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The sound of "Plush" was very similar to PJ, so I would have to say that STP was the first band that hit it big nationally to sound like PJ. To their credit, their sound progressed over the years to a point where they sound like only themselves.

As to comparing the frontmen as a live act, I would classify that as comparing apples to oranges. Eddie and Scott Weiland (I have never had the urge to see a Creed show) are very different creatures when the spotlight hits them.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options

Well call me crazy but though I guess there was a aslight similarity to Pearl Jam (talking about STP) I never really saw it that way, I guess Scott's persona was so hugemongosly different that Eddie that I was never able to see their songs of anything for that matter that resembled to Pearl Jam, I think STP had a great style and I always loved their music...

Now as far as Mr. Scott Stap, he is a dick, and enough said about that... lol
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options

What the hell are you talking about? How in the hell could Scott even compare to Eddie? You must be smoking something and it ain't the good shit.
    Sold to Pearl Jam at birth!
  • Options
    Now that I've got that out my system....I have to admit when I first heard STP I thought it was another P.J. song on the radio. Now I know better. Today they don't even sound close to me. I know Eddie's voice front to back...soft melodic roll to gut wrenching scream. I laugh when I hear people compare others to Eddie. No one holds a f*cking candle to that man.
    Sold to Pearl Jam at birth!