Superunknown

2»

Comments

• yosi wrote:
    I'm not saying it shouldn't have been written. I just like the album more without it. That's the beauty of taste, mine is mine, and yours is yours. And with these new machines called ipods, I can do whatever I want to the tracklisting on the album. If I really wanted, I could put on a couple of Disney songs.

I know where you are coming from. Thing is though, that album would never have reached its cult classic kind of status without that song. It is a shame though that the album seems to be defined by BHS, when there are loads better songs on the record - although perhaps I would feel differently if I hadn't heard it a million times!
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    yosi wrote:
    I'm also obsessed right now with Limo Wreck, . But just such a good album all over.

woo f**king hooo! great thread!

we must be in the same universe...

I have this CD permanantly loaded in my car CD player ....

"Limo Wreck" is just about the best tribute to Black Sabbath's sound that I have heard from the 90's rockers...

and with "Day I tried to Live" as the next track.. it's evil unlimited!!!!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    It's all opinion man, believe me I've heard both albums plenty of times. I don't think SUK drags at all. I think we need to take this out in halo :-)

hell yeah!
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I know where you are coming from. Thing is though, that album would never have reached its cult classic kind of status without that song. It is a shame though that the album seems to be defined by BHS, when there are loads better songs on the record - although perhaps I would feel differently if I hadn't heard it a million times!

This is definitely a fair point.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • i love all soundgarden albums from the bottom of my fat saturated heart.

just stick em all on back to back and stop the bitching.

superunknown was my first though, so it has a special place.

the two separate vocals on 4th of july freaked the shit out of me, memo: do not listen to whilst heavily stoned...
  • I've recently got all my cds back from storage. For about two weeks I've pulled out various all-time favorites, and since I've read this, I realize I've got out all the Soundgarden albums except this one. Its such a great album, but I've always tended to listen to it least. And It is the first one I ever got fully exposed to. Anyway, I'm going to get it out now.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    I haven't listened to this album in a while. My old Superunknown tape is lying around somewhere.......I've just gotta find it. Great album, from start to finish, that rivals Ten and Vs.
  • webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    yosi wrote:
    That was me. I wasn't saying I didn't like the song because it was a radio hit, and I didn't say it was a bad song. I just heard it too many times and got sick of it. I also think its overrated and just wanted to see what the album would sound like without it. I mean, if I always skip the track, why not just take it out? Personally I prefer it that way.
    I still disagree with you. Superunknown would be a lesser album without Black Hole Sun, regardless of the radio play it got.

Its one of the best constructed songs on the album, fits brilliantly in the middle of the album, and is the perfect lead-on from Head Down. I might also mention it has one hell of an awesome guitar solo from Kim Thayil:D
  • Odin wrote:
    I haven't listened to this album in a while. My old Superunknown tape is lying around somewhere.......I've just gotta find it. Great album, from start to finish, that rivals Ten and Vs.

Building the towers belongs to the sky......

I remember it being described as "instant classic rock" certianly this is true.

anyway, this post reminded me of a tape I had that was warped towards the end of Fresh Tendrills and perfectly led into 4th of July.
  • webberf1 wrote:
    I still disagree with you. Superunknown would be a lesser album without Black Hole Sun, regardless of the radio play it got.

Its one of the best constructed songs on the album, fits brilliantly in the middle of the album, and is the perfect lead-on from Head Down. I might also mention it has one hell of an awesome guitar solo from Kim Thayil:D

it is a great song, but it is the only SG song that is in danger of being over-played.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    we named our highschool volleyball team after that album back in the day. still amazing when you go back to it, so many great great songs.... aside from the obvious ones, fresh tendrils, kickstand, she likes surprises, head down, 4th of july, it just goes on & on.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    yosi wrote:
    Been listening to this album a lot lately. Its fuckin' awesome.

I also noticed that there's a real distinct sound from the first half of the album and the second half. The first half of the album is much more upbeat (in terms of music) and generally faster. The second half is slower and kind of grungier (I know that term is generally hated).

Anyway, I recently took out Black Hole Sun just to see how it would sound without it, and I actually think its a better album that way.

I'm also obsessed right now with Limo Wreck, Fresh Tendrils (especially) and Like Suicide. But just such a good album all over.

nice .. those are the 3 best songs on the album, in my opinion .. well, throw in head down too =]
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    We all know the singles are great, but when I pop in this CD I go straight for the more hidden treasures. Let Me Drown is one of my favorite album openers ever, and really sets a good mood for the rest of the CD. Kickstand, short but sweet and a great live tune. Head Down and Half are mysterious experimental tunes that are also quite awesome. Fresh Tendrils is awesome as well, I luckily found a rare live version of it. Limo Wreck is just amazing, especially that solo. But I'd say my fav tune off the album is 4th Of July. Maybe because I'm a huge Terminator fan and the lyrics really match those movies, but I also really like the sludgy guitars and dual vocals and another great Thayil solo.

As for Black Hole Sun, I think it doesn't get much credit from the hardcore fans simply because it's so popular. It's a great track and although I try not to listen to it too much so that it remains fresh for me, I still wouldn't imagine Superunknown having it. Although Badmotorfinger remains my favorite SG album, Superunknown is a real close second.
  • Been listening to this album constantly for a few days now...... Soundgarden is my absolute fav. Has anybody ever done hard rock better? not IMO. Led Zeppelin and PJ are right there. Its been Superunknown in the house and VS. in the car, two of the best albums ever, IMO.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    It's still in my all time top 5.
    I love Badmotorfinger & Louder Than Love, but Superunknown is on a whole other level.
    Nothing much over the last 13 years gets close in my opinion.

"She lived like a murder, but she died...just like suicide"
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • The best album I`ve heard in my life.
    ??!
  • If, by some freak circumstance, Drawing Flies hadn't been recorded until the Superunknown sessions, Soundgarden quite possibly would have created the perfect album.
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
    Speaking of which, we forgot Mailman! An awesome twisted track that wouldn't have sounded out of place on BMF. Very powerful lyrics too.."I'm the dirt beneath your feet".
  • Duder5k wrote:
    Speaking of which, we forgot Mailman! An awesome twisted track that wouldn't have sounded out of place on BMF. Very powerful lyrics too.."I'm the dirt beneath your feet".

Mailman tend to be my absolute fav track. Its like a perfect song, then again, so it the title song.
  • Duder5k wrote:

But see it wouldn't have. Superunknown does'nt sound like the same band. In BMF, as good as it is, some of the tracks just loose their direction. In SU they switched slightly. In SU you get screaming wah wah guitar over screaming vocals as opposed to just screaming in most of BMF. It's the reason alot of the Audioslave material by comparsions sounds 'empty' I guess.
    Well the sludgy guitar definitely sounds like a riff off BMF, but I guess the vocals and other things wouldn't.