Superunknown

yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Been listening to this album a lot lately. Its fuckin' awesome.

I also noticed that there's a real distinct sound from the first half of the album and the second half. The first half of the album is much more upbeat (in terms of music) and generally faster. The second half is slower and kind of grungier (I know that term is generally hated).

Anyway, I recently took out Black Hole Sun just to see how it would sound without it, and I actually think its a better album that way.

I'm also obsessed right now with Limo Wreck, Fresh Tendrils (especially) and Like Suicide. But just such a good album all over.
you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    yosi wrote:
    Been listening to this album a lot lately. Its fuckin' awesome.

I also noticed that there's a real distinct sound from the first half of the album and the second half. The first half of the album is much more upbeat (in terms of music) and generally faster. The second half is slower and kind of grungier (I know that term is generally hated).

Anyway, I recently took out Black Hole Sun just to see how it would sound without it, and I actually think its a better album that way.

I'm also obsessed right now with Limo Wreck, Fresh Tendrils (especially) and Like Suicide. But just such a good album all over.
    don't forget 4th of July. My favorite of the album.
    I've aso listened to that album quite much recently and I completely agree with your view. Awesome album... and I like the production
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Julien wrote:
    don't forget 4th of July. My favorite of the album.
    I've aso listened to that album quite much recently and I completely agree with your view. Awesome album... and I like the production

The production is awesome. There is something about this album that flows better than a lot of their other albums I believe. I know that its kind of their commercial album, but it really just works so well.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    ya its brilliant but badmotorfinger ftw!
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Yeah I always thought the setlist on the record was perfect.

The only conceivable problems are that a few of the songs sound like obvious cut and paste jobs, and that the sound is a bit to shiny-- but at the same thime they were probably going for the mainstream hard rock masterpiece (a la Who's Next) so it's hard to fault them for not being a raw as they usually were.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    yosi wrote:
    The production is awesome. There is something about this album that flows better than a lot of their other albums I believe. I know that its kind of their commercial album, but it really just works so well.
    superunknown is my favorite soundgarden album, by far. Maybe because I discovered them with that album..
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • I prefer superunknown to bmf because for me bmf's first 4 tracks are godly then after that its just kind of okay. SUK really flows well troughout the whole album and really doesn't have a weak track.
    I prefer superunknown to bmf because for me bmf's first 4 tracks are godly then after that its just kind of okay. SUK really flows well troughout the whole album and really doesn't have a weak track.

I wouldn't quite put it like that because Face Pollution, Mind Riot, and Drawing Flies are fucking awesome, and Searching, and Somewhere are pretty good. But, yeah, I see what you're saying.
  • ii44 wrote:
    I wouldn't quite put it like that because Face Pollution, Mind Riot, and Drawing Flies are fucking awesome, and Searching, and Somewhere are pretty good. But, yeah, I see what you're saying.

I find myself obsessed with "searching with....", even though I didn't like it much compared to the rest of BMF at one point. Superunknown is a masterpiece, but I rarely think its their best. Louder than love to Down on the Upside are some of the best albums of all time. I really like the raw ultramegaOK, as well.

I guess I'd be more inclined to compare LTL with BMF and Super with DOUS. And usually I'll pick LTL and DOUS, but I love them all.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • I became a fan after hearing this great album. It's good from begining to end- no weak spots whatsoever. If anything, I tend to enjoy the second half a whole lot more than the first. And that is a great testament to an album's greatness. TDITTL is one of my all time favorate songs from any band. I used to need that song to get myself out of bed! Like Suicide is amazing. I could go on and on. Sure was a great era for music: Dirt, Superunkown, Vitology, In Utero.
    Damn it, why did they have to break up?!
  • That is such a great record.

Every few months, I just have to spend a few days listening to it. I listen to it far more often than any pj record anymore, actually.
    "If this doesn't make you smile
    You don't have to cry
    If this isn't making sense
    It doesn't make it lies"
  • 4th of July is epic. The dogs barking etc It's like they created another world with that song. Amazing.
    I find myself obsessed with "searching with....", even though I didn't like it much compared to the rest of BMF at one point. Superunknown is a masterpiece, but I rarely think its their best. Louder than love to Down on the Upside are some of the best albums of all time. I really like the raw ultramegaOK, as well.

I guess I'd be more inclined to compare LTL with BMF and Super with DOUS. And usually I'll pick LTL and DOUS, but I love them all.

There are some bright spots on Louder Than Love, but there are some really terrible songs on it as well.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    I prefer superunknown to bmf because for me bmf's first 4 tracks are godly then after that its just kind of okay. SUK really flows well troughout the whole album and really doesn't have a weak track.

superunknown drags on a bit....

HAVE YOU NOT MIND RIOT? HOLY WATER?? NEW DAMAGE!!??? - one of the best sg songs imo,

wow thats a very bad statement, you really need to listen to BMF again
  • Soundgarden also has the coolest album titles of any band I think. Fuck they were just cool all round!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    4th of July, Limo Wreck, Fresh Tendrils (their most underrated song ever) and Like Suicide are absolutely godly.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    My fav Soundgarden is actually Down On The Upside. Superunknown is one hell of an album tho.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • The title track is amazing, Cornell's vocal performance is INSANE!
  • six words:

THE

DAY

I

TRIED

TO

LIVE

:rolleyes:

superunknown, fell on black days, like suicide, limo wreck... love it, love it, love it
    STILL: BADMOTORFINGER STANDS ABOVE SUPERUNKNOWN
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
    October22 wrote:
    i love this band. i always thought that their only weakness was cornell as a lyricist. kind of trite, simplistic and predictable.

Wait, what???
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i've heard complaints of Cornell's Soundgarden lyrics but i've never really had a problem w/ them.

i bought Superunknown the day it was released on the strength of the radio hit "Spoonman". over the years i've grown to love:

Mailman
    Head Down
    Let Me Drown
    Limo Wreck
    4th of July
    Like Suicide
    Fell On Black Days

although i don't listen to this record as much as i should it's still in the top 30 all time for me. probably top 25.
  • I BrisK I wrote:

HAVE YOU NOT MIND RIOT? HOLY WATER?? NEW DAMAGE!!??? - one of the best sg songs imo,

I agree. Down On The Upside too.

I love Soundgarden's darker, slower songs.
  • webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    October22 wrote:
    yes, this record blew my mind when i was a kid. i love this band. i always thought that their only weakness was cornell as a lyricist. kind of trite, simplistic and predictable. that sounds harsh but i do love the guy. i'm sure some of you will agree. another problem for me is the length of the songs. most of them would be better served being about a minute shorter. it always bugged me how they seemed to kind of drone on.

also, the cover is pretty wicked. looks like some vampires in the northern wilderness or something. always liked it.
    wow, i really dont think i could disagree with you more. Cornell puts in fantastic lyrics, consistently throughout the album.

one minute shorter for the songs? i really cannot see where you are coming from. the songs are perfectly constructed the way they are.

and what about the thread starter saying Superunknown would be better with Black Hole Sun. Like holy shit. Thats like a family with one of the kids taken away. Black Hole Sun is a FANTASTIC song, regardless of whether or not it was a smash hit, and its one of their best ever.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Well if it weren't for Superunknown and Soungarden I never would have liked Pearl Jam. Man, do I owe a lot to Soundgarden!!!
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • I BrisK I wrote:

It's all opinion man, believe me I've heard both albums plenty of times. I don't think SUK drags at all. I think we need to take this out in halo :-)
    webberf1 wrote:

and what about the thread starter saying Superunknown would be better with Black Hole Sun. Like holy shit. Thats like a family with one of the kids taken away. Black Hole Sun is a FANTASTIC song, regardless of whether or not it was a smash hit, and its one of their best ever.

That was me. I wasn't saying I didn't like the song because it was a radio hit, and I didn't say it was a bad song. I just heard it too many times and got sick of it. I also think its overrated and just wanted to see what the album would sound like without it. I mean, if I always skip the track, why not just take it out? Personally I prefer it that way.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I think Superunknown is certinally the best Soundgarden album. I don't really rate their pre-Badmotorfinger stuff. They've got some good songs but it's all drowned out by muddy and sludgey production.

I think Down On The Upside is a good album full of missed oppurtunities. The heavier songs sound really muddeled. Good mellow stuff though.
    muppet wrote:
    I think Superunknown is certinally the best Soundgarden album. I don't really rate their pre-Badmotorfinger stuff. They've got some good songs but it's all drowned out by muddy and sludgey production.

I think Down On The Upside is a good album full of missed oppurtunities. The heavier songs sound really muddeled. Good mellow stuff though.

I really, really, REALLY, dislike the effects and production used on Chris' voice on that record.
  • yosi wrote:
    That was me. I wasn't saying I didn't like the song because it was a radio hit, and I didn't say it was a bad song. I just heard it too many times and got sick of it. I also think its overrated and just wanted to see what the album would sound like without it. I mean, if I always skip the track, why not just take it out? Personally I prefer it that way.

That would be like taking Stairway To Heaven from Zeppelin IV, or Alive from Ten - yes they are all over played songs, and it goes without saying that all those bands have better songs on the album, but they all play a part in making the record what it is. I very rarely listen to Black Hole Sun, and wouldn't be at all bothered if Cornell skipped it live, BUT I still think it's an incredibly well written song and deserves to be on the record.
    That would be like taking Stairway To Heaven from Zeppelin IV, or Alive from Ten - yes they are all over played songs, and it goes without saying that all those bands have better songs on the album, but they all play a part in making the record what it is. I very rarely listen to Black Hole Sun, and wouldn't be at all bothered if Cornell skipped it live, BUT I still think it's an incredibly well written song and deserves to be on the record.

I'm not saying it shouldn't have been written. I just like the album more without it. That's the beauty of taste, mine is mine, and yours is yours. And with these new machines called ipods, I can do whatever I want to the tracklisting on the album. If I really wanted, I could put on a couple of Disney songs.