Options

SMC: 1995 - Screaming Headless Torsos

2»

Comments

• Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    bump

gotta keep this up at the top
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    loading on my iPod as we speak, will listen tomorrow
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I did what you suggested and send it to the adress. I had to make it MP3 though becaus e11 hours was too long. This was only two hours or maybe a bit less. I hope you like it. Marcus Miller time.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    transplant wrote:
    I'd like to listen to a live performance.

Cool, I'll see what I can do about uploading some live performances tomorrow! Theres a DVD they have, with two full concerts, don't know if its possible for me to get that up, but if it is, I will. If not, I'll put up an audio performance of theirs.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    bump
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,212
    I've got mixed feelings on this one.

The musicianship is stellar on it, especially the drumming. It's a very 'danceable' record. It is an album that begs to be played loud. I'd bet my house that these guys are incredible live.

But the guy's voice... ugh. I can't seem to get over it, either. I don't know how to explain it- I've heard plenty worse in terms of how a voice sounds, but I don't like his voice/singing style with this music. Then there are the weird vocal flourishes (like in Kermes Macabre) that make me go, "what the fuck?", and not in a good way. This doesn't happen on all tracks (I don't mind his actual singing on the last song, Another Sucka, for example), but for the majority of the record I find myself trying to hear anything but his vocals.

From what I'm familiar with from Robert Randolph, I'd have a hard time believing he wasn't influenced by this band in some way.

As a Floyd fan I have to like the nod to Have A Cigar in Kermes.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    really talented dudes, but I don't think I dig this. Maybe funk fusion just isn't my thing. I can see they are very good at their respective duties, but it is a chore for me to sit and listen to all this stuff. Sorry dude, just not my bag.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    burnin-candleburnin-candle Posts: 158
    Just got through it, had a busy week.

Anyway, this is a pretty nice mix of funk/metal/jazz/fusion. The guitar work and the drumming is pretty damn spectacular. There are some very intense moments of serious jamming, which is great to hear. (track 6-7 etc)

However, I have to tell ya, the vocals put me off to some degree. I could probably do without the lame rapping, that's for sure. lol And that weird "huh huh huh" he does. Weird.

I'm not sure Robert Randolph would get influenced by this guy. Sure, their tones might be similar, but the styles are different in my opinion.

But an enjoybale listen on the instrumental parts. I can see why they would be better live.

Cheers.
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Echoes wrote:
    really talented dudes, but I don't think I dig this. Maybe funk fusion just isn't my thing. I can see they are very good at their respective duties, but it is a chore for me to sit and listen to all this stuff. Sorry dude, just not my bag.

that pretty much sums up my thoughts.

I gave this quite a few chances.....can't get into it.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits