Options

SMC: 1995 - Screaming Headless Torsos

yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
edited May 2006 in Other Music
I just put up the Screaming Headless Torsos first album, 1995. It is an amazing combination of jazz/funk/rock fusion. I like it because there are some amazing vocals, guitars, bass, and drums - just about everything. The lead guitarist David Fiucziynski is a world famous jazz/fusion guitarist. This album has some really groovey funky tunes, which really get you bopping, and some really hard rocking tunes, and everything mixed and in between.

Some standout tracks (in my opinion) are:

Smile in a Wave (Theme From Jack Johnson): This song is awesome because it starts with a really cool drum/precussion intro. It has a great bridge/theme running throughout the song. What makes it even cooler is that this theme/intro/bridge is based on a riff in a Miles Davis song (as suggested from the title) called Yesternow (its on Miles Davis' Tribute to Jack Johnson album).

Grafiti Cemeter: Great groove, short and sweet bass solo. Just a really really groovy song.

Wedding in Sarajevo: Possibly my favorite song on the album. Just has an amazingly powerful and catchy chorus. All around good song.

Hope: I think this is based off of a Jimi Hendrix song. It has an insane riff, and is just very funky and groovy. Awesome song.

Word to Herb: Groovy, funky, hard rocking.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think,

Yosi

ps. Most of these guys are in a couple other of Dave Fuicizynski's bands, and if you want that stuff (its a little more jammy and without vocal), just let me know.
you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Bump......
  • Options
    bump.......
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Oh dear I can't seem to listen to this. I clicked on the like send to me by Transplant, but I only get to send an E-mail. I don't get it what am I doing wrong?
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I'm going to have to sit this one out, since I have a busy week ahead, but I'll be fucked if that isn't what amounts to pretty much the best band name I've heard in ages.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    downloaded and ready to roll.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    I'm going to have to sit this one out, since I have a busy week ahead, but I'll be fucked if that isn't what amounts to pretty much the best band name I've heard in ages.

Well, you should at least download the music and see what you think. These guys really kick ass.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    yosi wrote:
    Well, you should at least download the music and see what you think. These guys really kick ass.

twisted my arm, downloading it now
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    Oh dear I can't seem to listen to this. I clicked on the like send to me by Transplant, but I only get to send an E-mail. I don't get it what am I doing wrong?

open the first email in the inbox... there you should find a link to download...

but i will also send you a pm...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    Anyone get a chance to listen yet?
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    downloading this as we speak.

I'll let ya know what I think
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    I am listening to it right now. I am not quit sure what to make of it yet. At first I thought no. This isn't what I would be looking for going to the shop. Since I didn't have to buy it and I already had it anyway I listened to it. While listen to the first song it was clear that these are really good musiciance. The music has alot of energy at least that's what I'm thinking now while hearing Free man.
    I didn't like the second song.

For now I'm thinking this reminds me somewhat of the first two albums of Spearhead. I'll stop spiting out these words now and listen to it further. More to follow later.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    bump.......
    What does bump mean? I've seen it used elsewhere.
    Mansfield 8/7/92, 7/2/03; Boston 9/28/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06
  • Options

I don't know for certain, but I think it means getting it back on top of the board.
  • Options

It means your just posting for the sake of "bumping the thread" back to the top of the board so the thread doesn't get lost, and stays near the top. This way it is more likely that people will see the thread and read it.
  • Options
    I have a couple spins under my belt. I am not really sure yet. I don't have anything really like it, I can see why those would compare them to Spearhead, Fishbone etc.. so that is cool in itself. I cannot come up with the name of the last track however I found myself singing the chorus for about an hour last night.
  • Options
    Well I have listened to it a few times and I like it. This is a great CD for romance. Not with my girl though she wouldn't like the Jazzy feel, but that's beside the point.
    If I was to experience this band live, I would be dancing my feet off. Having said that I know I wouldn't buy this. It just isn't what I am interested in, which sounds pretty stupid because it is really good. It's just that it would end up some where in the back of my closet and there for be a waste of my money. Now that I have it on my computer I will make a copy and just have it for occasions that I am in the mood.

This is an album made by skilled artists and has a nice feel and swing. The only song I don't like is Blue in green. And that is due to the first minute, I can't stand the singing there.

Thanks for sharing this.
  • Options
    bump......this cd is definitely wierder than what I'm used to. (aside from Tom Waits, of course)
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    Bump.... Come on people these guys rock, give it a listen.
  • Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    are we all listening to the same cd?
    i don't find it all that weird... but i guess it depends on what you're usually listening to...

this is BRILLIANT stuff!!!!!!!!!!
    some amazing musicianship here (which was kinda expected since it's jazz fusion) but what really surprised me was that they rock MUCH harder than i expected...

i will have to give this a couple more spins...
    i just know that my brother who's into funk will love some of the tracks on this album...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    psycosmic wrote:
    are we all listening to the same cd?
    i don't find it all that weird... but i guess it depends on what you're usually listening to...

this is BRILLIANT stuff!!!!!!!!!!
    some amazing musicianship here (which was kinda expected since it's jazz fusion) but what really surprised me was that they rock MUCH harder than i expected...

i will have to give this a couple more spins...
    i just know that my brother who's into funk will love some of the tracks on this album...

I meant wierd as in "not the type of music I'm used to"

It's not weird as in, freakish or anything like that.
  • Options
    I would love to rifle through these guys CD collection. damn straight on the musicianship. every now and then the vocalist will pull something out of his ass that makes you stand up and take notice.
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    I would love to rifle through these guys CD collection. damn straight on the musicianship. every now and then the vocalist will pull something out of his ass that makes you stand up and take notice.

Yea, I really love these guys. I have been lucky to see them in concert three times (all tiny bars and clubs in NYC). They're pretty amazing. If anybody wants anymore of their stuff, either reply here, or give me a PM. If you think their studio work is good, thats nothing. It hardly compares to what a live show is about. So much energy. Also, maybe check out their website http://www.torsos.com. Really, really good shit.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Yea, I really love these guys. I have been lucky to see them in concert three times (all tiny bars and clubs in NYC). They're pretty amazing. If anybody wants anymore of their stuff, either reply here, or give me a PM. If you think their studio work is good, thats nothing. It hardly compares to what a live show is about. So much energy. Also, maybe check out their website http://www.torsos.com. Really, really good shit.

Hey Yosi do you like Marcus Miller?
    If you don't know him check him out, I have the feeling that his music would be something for you.
  • Options
    Hey Yosi do you like Marcus Miller?
    If you don't know him check him out, I have the feeling that his music would be something for you.

No, I don't know him. Do you have anything you can send me? In return, I'll send something else to you if you'd like. I have lots, of music. ;)
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    No, I don't know him. Do you have anything you can send me? In return, I'll send something else to you if you'd like. I have lots, of music. ;)

I am still not sure how that works. Uploading a CD I mean, if you could explain as if you were talking to an idiot(step by step), Then maybe I could do it.

I have one amazing live album by Marcus Miller. He is a fushion Bass player.
  • Options
    I am still not sure how that works. Uploading a CD I mean, if you could explain as if you were talking to an idiot(step by step), Then maybe I could do it.

I have one amazing live album by Marcus Miller. He is a fushion Bass player.

That sounds awesome, and I will definitely help you upload a cd. The easiest way for me to do that though would be on AIM. Do you have AIM? This would be the quickest and best way for me to talk to you and explain what to do.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    That sounds awesome, and I will definitely help you upload a cd. The easiest way for me to do that though would be on AIM. Do you have AIM? This would be the quickest and best way for me to talk to you and explain what to do.

Dude (if you are infact a dude)(otherwise dudette)

You are talking to a person that has absolutly no clue what so ever when it comes to computers. Hahahahaha I don't even know what AIM is.
  • Options
    Dude (if you are infact a dude)(otherwise dudette)

You are talking to a person that has absolutly no clue what so ever when it comes to computers. Hahahahaha I don't even know what AIM is.

Hahaha, its ok. I can do my best to help. AIM stands for AOL Instant Messenger.

And its dude ;)
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Hahaha, its ok. I can do my best to help. AIM stands for AOL Instant Messenger.

And its dude ;)

Well I got as far as ziping it. And now you're gone. I have no clue what to do now, so I'll await for further instuctions.

Hahahahahaha. Sorry I haven't done this before.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    If anybody wants anymore of their stuff, either reply here, or give me a PM. If you think their studio work is good, thats nothing. It hardly compares to what a live show is about. So much energy. Also, maybe check out their website http://www.torsos.com. Really, really good shit.
    I'd like to listen to a live performance.