Reading Festival 2008

miskinmiskin Posts: 278
edited August 2008 in Other Music
Who's going... Rage Against the Machine wohoo!

i'll be bar staffing with a charity - people and planet, but hoping my shifts working out so i get to see Rage...
myspace.com/airstriponeuk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I'm volunteering, doing the campsite stuff. Hopefully it'll involve just wandering about in a flourescent jacket doing nothing in particular.

It's the worst lineup since 2004 in my opinion (which is why I'm volunteering instead of buying a ticket), but there's enough decent bands to make it worthwhile. Only bands I'm looking forward to who I haven't seen before are Conor Oberst and Rage though.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    fowls wrote:
    I'm volunteering, doing the campsite stuff. Hopefully it'll involve just wandering about in a flourescent jacket doing nothing in particular.

It's the worst lineup since 2004 in my opinion (which is why I'm volunteering instead of buying a ticket), but there's enough decent bands to make it worthwhile. Only bands I'm looking forward to who I haven't seen before are Conor Oberst and Rage though.

i agree about the linup. 2006 - pearl jam
    2007 - smashing pumpkins

ok so itll be good to see Rage but there isnt one bad im like desperate to see this year really. Killers would be nice... btu Sunday has an awful line up...
    Sunday always has an awful lineup on the main stage though (other than the top 2 who are usually good). I usually spend most of Sunday in the Festival Republic tent, which looks great this year. Cage the Elephant, Fighting with Wire, Johnny Foreigner, Black Kids, Los Campesinos and Friendly Fires. First time I've recognised so many bands in that tent!
    Paul
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Going to Leeds, same thing really!

How do you guys help volunterring? I think a woman came into our school about oppurtunities like this but I wasn't really listening.
  • miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    im going with people and planet, just applied on their website. so i have to do 3 x 6 hour shifts and get a ticket, 3 meals and 6 drinks free. :)
    There's a few ways.

The bars are usually managed by contractors who you sign up with and they offer you festivals.

The arena work (standing by the tripod speakers by main stage and columns in the tents, and checking wristbands) are sorted out by Oxfam. Usually Oxfam is the first to get all its volunteers because it's the first place people think of and people like to put it down as 'charity work' on their CV.

The stewarding and campsite staff are sorted out by DCSS ( http://www.dcsiteservices.com/ ). Stewarding being basic wage pay but have to work 12 hours all 3 music days. Campsite work is voluntary (i.e. no pay) but only have to do 3 8 hour shifts between the wednesday afternoon and monday morning (1 4-midnight shift, 1 midnight-8am shift and 1 8am-4pm shift, so only miss one headliner at most. shifts sorted out first come first served on the wednesday). Slightly more work than bar staff (and I don't think we get free food and drink, though I might be wrong), but the advantage is you can get the work out of the way outside of the arena opening times so don't have to miss any music. DCSS sort out staffing for quite a few festivals (Glastonbury, O2 Wireless, the Hyde Park Calling gigs, Reading and Leeds, Latitude, as well as some big outdoor gigs like the London Radiohead gigs), so it's quite handy, just have to sign up once and have a profile, then enroll for anything you want to work on.

They've all filled up their quota for Reading this year I think (they need to do all the security and criminal records checks so the deadline for application is usually mid-July).
    Paul
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Cheers, that sounds pretty great. I'll have to check it out when I'm 18 next year.
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    You're excited about seeing Rage? Ugghhh...
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • smithnic wrote:
    You're excited about seeing Rage? Ugghhh...

Yea and so were 60K @ Coachella last year.

And the 50K that SOLD OUT Rock the Bells for the first time sense they have had that festival.

Or the 75K that came to Lolla this weekend.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I saw Rage at T in the Park this year and they were excellent, i wouldnt miss them. KOL were as good as always, also enjoyed Glasvegas and surprisingly enough i thought Stereophonics were really good as well.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • I've got a Day Ticket for Rage. Can't wait.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,058
    day ticket for RATM also, probably wont bother turning up much earlier either.....only got my mind set on RAge
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,058
    fucking expensive gig just to see one band I know!!! £70 to see Rage, or for the Americans amoungst us, $135!!!! ouch