Vote for Sanjya

2»

Comments

• rrivers wrote:
    So, by that logic, we shouldn't listen to Pearl Jam anymore either, right? Stern is just as relevant and entertaining as he ever was. Sound familiar?

no my logic is that unlike Pearl Jam, Howard Stern is irrelevant. For example, when he went to Sirius satellite radio he lost 95% of his audience, this only validates my point. Over the years Son of the Beach was canceled because its humor was low brow and repetitive, his bio pic tanked, fartman never got off the ground, his E show was canceled, and so was his CBS show. On the other hand Pearl Jam is making groundbreaking music on every album and they have one of the most diverse and important catalogues in rawk history. In his defense Howard stern has to produce 4-5 hours of new material everyday, but how many times can you go to the fart joke and stripper well?

I would also like to copy and paste my friend’s sentiments
    On April 18th a tragedy took place. Yes, the end of the majestic Sanjaya Malakar. I don't know how I'm going to feel tomorrow when I wake up and realize that my Sanjaya is gone. I won't forget his beautiful hair and his amazing smile. How can America not see that the voice of Sanjaya was like God sending one of his angels to sing for us. He will be dearly missed.
  • no my logic is that unlike Pearl Jam, Howard Stern is irrelevant. For example, when he went to Sirius satellite radio he lost 95% of his audience

you're insane if you think thats true
    On the other hand Pearl Jam is making groundbreaking music on every album and they have one of the most diverse and important catalogues in rawk history

Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • the show is an outlet for people with talent that may not have other options than this to have had the chance to have been discovered. granted everyone is not going to like every winner or the style of music they perform but you can't deny the show has had some real talented people on. the next eddie vedder could be found for all you know. and to vote for some kid that sucks and try and kill a show like this is stupid. if you don't like it don't watch it or listen to people's comments about it. this won't end the show anyway it's the number one show in america for christ sakes!! what it will do is deny someone with real talent the opportunity to win.
    Dude its American Idol, we have enough pop music around. Having Sanjaya win will destroy the show's credibility. They might have to stop letting America vote to prevent this kind of thing from happening, which would make the ratings tank and the show goes off the air. Don't worry we're not gonna find the next Eddie Vedder on there, if they're going to then they already have in that Daughtry loser. Do we really need more fake rocker guys?
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696

You are so right off_the_record.

pearljamharmony, Stern did not lose 95% of his audience. Pearl Jam did lose a huge amount of audience from 1993. By his bio pic, do you mean "Private Parts". Sorry, pal, that did not tank.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • you're insane if you think thats true[/quote]

Okay well if you don't think that Pearl Jam is groundbreaking and exciting on every album, then why are you here? True Pearl Jam lost alot of casual fans after Vitalogy because the masses for the most part have a short attention span and a limited intellect. Private Parts grossed slightly more than $41 million in total, but if you think that 41 million dollars is this great figure for such a "profound" movie there are alot of "profound" Jenifer Lopez movies that have grosses anywhere between 60-90 million such as the "timeless-classic" Maid in Manhattan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maid_in_Manhattan#Box_office ) and the Oscar nominated Wedding Planner ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wedding_Planner#Box_Office ). Remember my figure of 95%, okay maybe I exaggerated a little. When Howard Stern left satellite radio ONLY 8% (1.1 million) of his terrestrial audience went with him to Sirius, so he only lost 92% of his audience (http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060511/0944239.shtml) Stern is an irrelevant piece of garbage who is trying his best to grab on to any piece of popular culture to keep his name in the media. Do you know how many people watch American idol? Anywhere between 20-30 million people a show ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idol#Television_ratings ). To think that a percentage of 1.1 million people had anything to do with Sanjaya's success is insane. Is it American Idol popular? That goes without saying, but Is American idol bad for popular music? Indeed it is, Fox or Rupert Murdorch trying to changing the way music is presented to us is a scary thing. Think about how this right wing media giant has brainwashed the heart of this country. Where did Sanjaya's success until last night come from? Maybe a little Michael Jackson nostalgia, maybe it was his effeminate presentation or maybe it was millions of sheltered little girls?

PS thanks for the debate
    You have to pick a side. Either the masses have limited intellect and a short attention span (your argument when talking about PJ losing listeners) or the majority of people who stayed away from "Private Parts" are smart. $41 million is not earthshattering but I think most people would consider it a hit, especially since it was released 11 years ago. No one said "Private Parts" was a profound movie or a timeless classic. All I said was that it did not tank. 8% followed him initially to satelitte but those numbers have grown substantially. Do you really think there would be a talk of a merger before Stern went to Sirius? XM was by far the leader before Sirius got Stern.

Just because 20-30 million people watch American Idol does not mean they all vote. I know quite a few people who watch it who don't vote. Stern and votefortheworst.com had a ton of people voting a lot. I'm sure there are a lot of people who think American Idol is stupid (one thing you and I can agree on) and maybe heard about the Sanjaya movement who are not Stern fans but thought, I'd like to mess with this stupid show so they voted too.

I love Pearl Jam not because they are particularly groundbreaking but because they have powerful, rocking music that comes from a real place. I admire them for not being complacent but they didn't really invent anything new.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    thank god he finally got the boot. It's weird though...I kind of felt sorry for him.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Okay well if you don't think that Pearl Jam is groundbreaking and exciting on every album, then why are you here?

i have to consider them "groundbreaking" to post on a message board?

oh oh, nevermind, you'll probably post more irrelevant stats that i could give two shits about.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
    i have to consider them "groundbreaking" to post on a message board?

oh oh, nevermind, you'll probably post more irrelevant stats that i could give two shits about.

Well said!