NIN (New Record)

Comments

• I cant wait to see them twice in 2007..cant wait for the new record either
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I cant wait to see them twice in 2007..cant wait for the new record either

Which shows are you seeing? There are still tickets to March 10th and 11th, and I keep fantasizing about going over there! I'm hoping they'll be touring some more in the U.S. though.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Kerrang! interview with Trent on the new album..
    Kerrang!: Your last album took six years. We've only had to wait 18 months for this one.

Trent Reznor: "It's been pretty interesting, I'm probably as surprised as some fans are (laughs). But really it's just a matter of discipline. When I was on the last tour, to keep myself busy I was just really hunkered down and was working on music the whole time, so this kept me in a creative mode and when I finished the tour I felt like I wasn't tired and wanted to keep at it."

Kerrang!: Is there anyone else playing on the album?

Trent Reznor: "It's all me, mostly recorded in hotel rooms around the world on laptops. There maybe some surprise vocalists that pop up here and there — although I don't want to say who since the final mix hasn't been determined yet, and Josh Freese is playing the drums on one song, but it's not like a big guest star-type record. It feels a bit more focused in a certain direction than 'With Teeth' did."

Kerrang!: What's the concept?

Trent Reznor: "I'm trying to avoid getting too detailed about this but I will tell you that this is a concept record, and it's part of a bigger picture of a number of things I'm working on. Essentially I wrote the soundtrack to a movie that doesn't exist. This album is a bit more electronic and I'd say rhythm plays a bigger element in it than in the past and it's veering away from concern about song structure and getting played on the radio."

Kerrang!: Are you talking about some kind of multimedia event?

Trent Reznor: "My goal is that the music can be interpreted with the richest context. So what I'm immersed in is a way to achieve that. Now that albums have gone from 12 inches of real estate with artwork and a whole aesthetic, to CDs, which are ugly and disposable, to nowadays just being a file on a computer, it's led me to putting a lot of thought in to ways to present music that still makes it feel important and that has depth and purpose."

Kerrang!: Will it be a heavy album?

Trent Reznor: "It's not heavy in any kind of metal type sense, I'd say a big inspiration sonically would be early PUBLIC ENEMY records, a collage of sound type of thing, not heavy in a metal guitar kind of way."

Kerrang!: On "The Downward Spiral" and "The Fragile" you blended together an extreme amount of disparate sounds and layers — is this moving further in that direction?

Trent Reznor: "Well Alan Moulder (long-time collaborator) was stunned when he first heard it. Normally a ProTools session has alot of tracks and this time he was like, 'You're kidding me, it's only this much stuff?' The end result has a bit of racket to it — it's much more improvisational, less refined. With this record I feel a lot less concerned about what people think about it — especially the dying record industry. I couldn't care less about that right now."
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • AxlUlrich wrote:
    Kerrang! interview with Trent on the new album..

This interview just gets me more excited.
    One typo (that was from the original transcriber, who has since fixed it at the original source) - it should be 'rhythm', not rhyme. Axl are you a spiral member?

Looks like 2007 is going to be a good year for NIN.
  • Lisa81Lisa81 Posts: 132
    This sounds good.
    Went to see them a few years ago at London Docklands Arena, and when we got there we found out the drummer was ill and they weren't playing. :(
    www.flickr.com/photos/ljrw
    JaneNY wrote:
    One typo (that was from the original transcriber, who has since fixed it at the original source) - it should be 'rhythm', not rhyme. Axl are you a spiral member?

Looks like 2007 is going to be a good year for NIN.
    lol..yeh when i saw rhyme i was like..hmm another "Down With It"?!
    thanks for the correction
    nah not a Spiral member.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    About European dates...:What kind of tour will this be??? I mean is it something special(acoustic/orchestral like Mountain View) or another leg of WITH TEETH tour??? Or will it support the new album?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Please somebody answer me!!!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • I'm seeing them in London soon (March, I think.) I'm only a casual fan, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm going with a couple of die-hards.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    Anyone infos on spring European tour, please???
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Ricsard wrote:
    Anyone infos on spring European tour, please???

Just check out their site http://www.nin.com
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I'm seeing them in London soon (March, I think.) I'm only a casual fan, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm going with a couple of die-hards.

Which day are you going? VV, chime and I are going on the 7th. I think Gossard is God may be going that day too (?). VV and I have spiral tickets and we still looking for one for Chime (anybody???)
    I'm seeing them in London soon (March, I think.) I'm only a casual fan, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm going with a couple of die-hards.

Trust me. You will walk into the show a casual fan. You will leave the show as a die-hard. It happened to me.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I will be seeing them on their first dates in Manchester and Birmingham next year. Will be my third and fourth time of seeing them, and I can't wait! First time as a sprial member too.

I can't wait for the new album, and i'm quite glad it isn't going to sound like With Teeth.

I'm also really interested to see who the support acts will be, as i've really enjoyed the previous NIN support acts i've seen.

I feel kinda sad now though, i'm a member of two bands fan clubs!
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodave wrote:
    I will be seeing them on their first dates in Manchester and Birmingham next year. Will be my third and fourth time of seeing them, and I can't wait! First time as a sprial member too.

I can't wait for the new album, and i'm quite glad it isn't going to sound like With Teeth.

I'm also really interested to see who the support acts will be, as i've really enjoyed the previous NIN support acts i've seen.

I feel kinda sad now though, i'm a member of two bands fan clubs!
    I got a feeling that there are quite a few of us who are in both fan clubs...

Hoping for more shows in North America after the Euro tour...

It should be interesting to see who the opener's are.

Looking back at all the times I've seen NIN (10+ now), the openers have been really, really good (A Perfect Circle, Queens of the Stone Age, Death From Above, Peaches, Bauhaus, Marilyn Manson, Jim Rose Circus, Saul Williams, TV on the Radio, The Dresden Dolls)
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I got a feeling that there are quite a few of us who are in both fan clubs...

Hoping for more shows in North America after the Euro tour...

It should be interesting to see who the opener's are.

Looking back at all the times I've seen NIN (10+ now), the openers have been really, really good (A Perfect Circle, Queens of the Stone Age, Death From Above, Peaches, Bauhaus, Marilyn Manson, Jim Rose Circus, Saul Williams, TV on the Radio, The Dresden Dolls)

You are probably right!

The two openers i've seen are The Dresden Dolls and Saul Williams, and I now love both.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • redrock wrote:
    Which day are you going? VV, chime and I are going on the 7th. I think Gossard is God may be going that day too (?). VV and I have spiral tickets and we still looking for one for Chime (anybody???)

I will find out.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• JaneNY wrote:
    Trust me. You will walk into the show a casual fan. You will leave the show as a die-hard. It happened to me.

I'm perfectly open to that. :D

• Lisa81Lisa81 Posts: 132
    Just booked my ticket for the 2nd Birmingham show! Yay!
    www.flickr.com/photos/ljrw
    About European dates...:What kind of tour will this be???
    I mean is it something special(acoustic/orchestral like Mountain View) or another leg of WITH TEETH tour??? Or will they support the new album?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    will they release their new effort by the end of March????????

PLEASE!!!!!!!
    Ricsard wrote:
    About European dates...:What kind of tour will this be???
    I mean is it something special(acoustic/orchestral like Mountain View) or another leg of WITH TEETH tour??? Or will they support the new album?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    will they release their new effort by the end of March????????

PLEASE!!!!!!!

I don't think its considered another leg of the With_Teeth tour, but he is taking the band with him. If I don't hear of any US dates soon, I may go to London.
  • Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    JaneNY wrote:
    Yeah I like Broken too - especially Wish and Gave Up. I'm sure you've seen the video for Gave Up? Its just playing but so greatly intense.

So, noisy. For Trent to call it noisy seems to me to mean strap yourself in using the body harness AND put on your helmet - I can't wait!

But the big question is WHEN in 2007 for the CD! Sometimes on the Spiral people get to post questions and he does answer them periodically - probably 50 people will ask this.
    Isn't the new album supposed to come out sometime in April? I'm sorry if this has been answered already..or asked. I just came across this. I do have a question though. I know Trent said BYIT comes out on 2/27..but now i'm hearing all different dates from other people on the radio...2/20, 2/22. I'm going by what Trent said...no?
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
    JaneNY wrote:
    I don't think its considered another leg of the With_Teeth tour, but he is taking the band with him. If I don't hear of any US dates soon, I may go to London.
    I'm guessing that there will be more US dates...there HAS to be.. as for London..I toyed with that idea as well. Everyone seems to be setting their sights on London for some reason. I wonder why.
  • Penny453 wrote:
    I'm guessing that there will be more US dates...there HAS to be.. as for London..I toyed with that idea as well. Everyone seems to be setting their sights on London for some reason. I wonder why.

Hmmm, that'd be nice, but I doubt it. Hasn't the tour been going for about 2 years now? I think after Europe they'll have a break to record and what not.
    Penny453 wrote:
    Isn't the new album supposed to come out sometime in April? I'm sorry if this has been answered already..or asked. I just came across this. I do have a question though. I know Trent said BYIT comes out on 2/27..but now i'm hearing all different dates from other people on the radio...2/20, 2/22. I'm going by what Trent said...no?

Yes April supposedly (people are speculating 17th, which is a Tuesday) - the previous post of mine is a little while ago, before we knew this. As to BYIT 2/27 is what says on the main NIN site, and that's what I'm going by.

edit - here is the link to the info on the main page of the nin site:
    http://www.nin.com/halo/22/index.html
    Saturnal wrote:
    Hmmm, that'd be nice, but I doubt it. Hasn't the tour been going for about 2 years now? I think after Europe they'll have a break to record and what not.
    but they did have a break...and they did record...and they're done with the new album...so wouldn't a tour follow? They were already in Europe..they did touring there already before. I hope that once the new album comes out...the new tour dates will be annouced and it'll be under the name of the new album as opposed to the "with teeth" tour.
    JaneNY wrote:
    Yes April supposedly (people are speculating 17th, which is a Tuesday) - the previous post of mine is a little while ago, before we knew this. As to BYIT 2/27 is what says on the main NIN site, and that's what I'm going by.

edit - here is the link to the info on the main page of the nin site:
    http://www.nin.com/halo/22/index.html
    ah ok. Once again sorry, I haven't been on any boards lately...including the NIN board. All I can say is thank god that Feb & April aren't so far away. :) ok good, I thought I was starting to go nuts with the release date for BYIT. It's nice to know it's not me, it's them.
    the album will be titled "Year Zero"..not really digging the title.

YNWA
  • AxlUlrich wrote:

I don't mind it. Year Zero....starting fresh after all the problems Bush has put the world through during his stay in the White House. Maybe..I don't know.

It could be a very different record, which I very excited for.
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    yeah I don't know what to make of it yet. I'm sure it'll grow on me. I want to see it already though. I can't wait till April 17th!