Year Zero (Digi Pack)

PearlrevolverPearlrevolver Posts: 56
edited April 2007 in Other Music
My buddy called me last night and said he has a copy of Year Zero in his possession. He said it looks fantastic and the booklet works with the concept story very nicely. This is great and all, but he said the most fucked up thing is the disc. When I asked him to elaborate he said it changes colours. He said when he opened the digi the disc is black. When he took it out of his disc player, it turned into a sandy colour. He said the sticker on the disc is heat sensitive and will even change colour from the heat of your fingers.

Trent keeps on rolling with new surprises for this release.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    That just made my day. Thanks man.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    awesome
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    I'm very, very ... very excited about this record.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I can't wait! I've heard it, but I want to HAVE it IN MY Hands!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • .. yup, picked up my copy of Year Zero today - haven't had a chance to pour over the booklet but have copied it into my iTunes and yes¡ noticed that the disc changed colour when i ejected it¡ hehe .. thought it was perty darn cool¡ (though lookin' at it now, the disc seems to be gettin' darker¿ - could just be me bein' a doofus though hehe)

.. can't wait to give it a spin¡¡ :)
    ~i wanna rise .. and say g'nite .. i wanna take .. a look on the other side~
    rEd mozziE
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Think I may pick this up along with The Fragile and With Teeth, later this week, time to get my NIN collection started I think.
    Had copies of those two for a while just not got round to buying them and play have them for £5.99 each at the mo.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Think I may pick this up along with The Fragile and With Teeth, later this week, time to get my NIN collection started I think.
    Had copies of those two for a while just not got round to buying them and play have them for £5.99 each at the mo.:)

oh i think it's long overdue reefer. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    oh i think it's long overdue reefer. :)

Like I say, I've had them just not the originals.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Like I say, I've had them just not the originals.

i know. but for me it doesn't really count unless you got the artwork. :p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i know. but for me it doesn't really count unless you got the artwork. :p

which is true, I agree.;)
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I've listened to it so many times already but I want it now, I want to see it, to touch it..... NOW!
    redrock wrote:
    I've listened to it so many times already but I want it now, I want to see it, to touch it..... NOW!

http://www.cherwell.org/files/winner.jpg

"Calm down dear".
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    redrock wrote:

So go and buy it! It came out here today.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    audiodave wrote:
    So go and buy it! It came out here today.

I can't until Thursday!!!!!!!
  • I bought this today. It sounds alot better in the car on CD; my little computer speakers were making it sound pretty 'thin' - you can hear all the sound layers sound better in le automobile.

Suprised to see that the cover is different than the one I'd seen advertised on the net; it's a green-tinged photograph of what looks like a very industrial city, perhaps belonging to this post-apolacyptic world the album's on about. I much prefer this artwork to what I thought was the cover: the blue car windscreen with the black shadowy figure infront of it (although this photograph is still inside the liner notes).

Another thing I like about this album is the way the songs all change quickly and run together. This being a more elctronic album than some of the others, the spaces between the songs on the website stream seemed slightly jarring to me. They interrupted the flow.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    I bought this today. It sounds alot better in the car on CD; my little computer speakers were making it sound pretty 'thin' - you can hear all the sound layers sound better in le automobile.

Suprised to see that the cover is different than the one I'd seen advertised on the net; it's a green-tinged photograph of what looks like a very industrial city, perhaps belonging to this post-apolacyptic world the album's on about. I much prefer this artwork to what I thought was the cover: the blue car windscreen with the black shadowy figure infront of it (although this photograph is still inside the liner notes).

Another thing I like about this album is the way the songs all changly quickly and run together. This being a more elctronic album than some of the others, the spaces between the songs on the website stream seemed slightly jarring to me.

I agree it sounds much better on CD than streamed from the website. And the Year Zero player would never let me listen to God Given or Zero Sum.

I prefer the actual cover to the one of the presence. On the front, it shows the industrial type city that you described, but the good part. Nice houses, the church on a hill, even some green in there, but the back is quite the contrasting photo. It shows clouds of black smoke, and a city in ruin.

I love how the CD changes colour too! :D

redrock wrote:
    I can't until Thursday!!!!!!!

My condolences!
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

Aawww Mark and Dave... just rub it in!!!! :mad:
  • audiodave wrote:
    I love how the CD changes colour too! :D

I've yet to see that! Haven't taken it out the player yet. Am I right it starts off black?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• redrock wrote:

:( Sorry Rita. Just think how much you'll enjoy it on Thursday. And what the hey, when everyone else is bored from playing the crap out of it, you'll have fresh ear candy.

Hehe.... I'll still be full of wonder... Damn school holidays!!!!
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    redrock wrote:

If it makes you feel better I'm waiting also :o ... cd-wow better get it's skates on :mad:
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    Have you been listening to it Chime, or are you saving yourself?
    I've yet to see that! Haven't taken it out the player yet. Am I right it starts off black?

Indeed it does. Changes with heat. It was so hot on the way home from getting the CD in my car, when I took it out it was completely white. If you press down on the front of the CD, you'll see your fingerprints in white.

"All the black is really white, if you believe it."

:( Sorry Rita. Just think how much you'll enjoy it on Thursday. And what the hey, when everyone else is bored from playing the crap out of it, you'll have fresh ear candy.

Bored? Noooo. I've had The Fragile for years, and I still play the crap out of that on a regular basis, and discover new things every time. I would say it has had more plays than any single PJ album, and I expect Year Zero to be the same.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• audiodave wrote:
    Indeed it does. Changes with heat. It was so hot on the way home from getting the CD in my car, when I took it out it was completely white. If you press down on the front of the CD, you'll see your fingerprints in white.

"All the black is really white, if you believe it"

Coool :)

audiodave wrote:
    "All the black is really white, if you believe it."
    oooOOOOooo....... I like that........ **touches Dave's and Mark's CD from afar and leaves white prints**
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    hmmm.... have to go to Futureshop to pick up tax software....

will put it off until tomorrow, so i can pick this up too......

gotta get the good with the bad! :D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Bureau of Morality??? I love it! I will need to listen to Year Zero a few more times...already like the lyrics more than anything else he's given to us...

Picked this up today along with a CD I have been waiting for to come back into stock. Witch. Metal band. J Mascis plays drums! Very Black sabbath sounding (those riffs).

Other pickups for me today...on vinyl:

Smashing Pumpkins -- Pisces Iscariot (sealed!)
    Sonic Youth -- Destroyed Room and Rather Ripped
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    just listened to the whole thing and sadly i think its the worst nin album to date. usually a few of the songs strike me as great the first listen. this time there were 2 that i kinda liked. i know i have to listen to it more but its such a poor album. the lyrics are so bland compared to anything before, so impersonal. ive always liked that about trent, the lryics were so personal you almost couldnt believe anyone would share them. and most of the music sounds like cheesy computer-sci-fi movie soundtrack stuff with record scratching just thrown in for whatever reason. i had a bad feeling when i heard this album was coming out so soon after the last one.

well thats my opinion, i was so hoping this would blow with teeth out of the water. trents been on a downward sprial since the fragile.
    just listened to the whole thing and sadly i think its the worst nin album to date. usually a few of the songs strike me as great the first listen. this time there were 2 that i kinda liked. i know i have to listen to it more but its such a poor album. the lyrics are so bland compared to anything before, so impersonal. ive always liked that about trent, the lryics were so personal you almost couldnt believe anyone would share them. and most of the music sounds like cheesy computer-sci-fi movie soundtrack stuff with record scratching just thrown in for whatever reason. i had a bad feeling when i heard this album was coming out so soon after the last one.

well thats my opinion, i was so hoping this would blow with teeth out of the water. trents been on a downward sprial since the fragile.

You're right about the lyrics. This is pretty much the first album Trent isn't writing about himself. He's writing about the future from other people's perspectives. But I don't think the lyrics are weak at all.

I absolutely love this album, but it was never going to please everyone.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Its TOMORROW!!!!!! 12 Hours from it should be in my hands and in my player!!!! I've been listening to the streaming off the site, but I want to hear the real thing and go through the booklet. Except for following clues I haven't looked at any pictures posted. I want to hear Hyperpower more distinctly and all the things in the background. Oh man. Its like christmas eve.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008