Smashing Pumpkins - Tarantula

danedane Posts: 1,062
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Since there was no Tarantula thread on the first 3 pages, I'll start a new.....

Has anybody heard this new single? What do you think?
I saw it by chance in Itunes. I have really high expectations for the new album. Maybe that's why I'm a bit dissapointed. Tarantula is OK, but it reminds me to much of the last albums. Either they should have gone oldschool or completely reinvented themselfes imo.
I bought two songs on Itunes. The other was Eyes by The scottish enlightment and I've listedned alot more to that........
Roskilde 30-06-00
Berlin 23-09-06
Copenhagen 26-06-07
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
"This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I love tarantula
    Great single, great riffs, great energy.
    I saw it live in Brussels last saturday and it was incredible !
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • danedane Posts: 1,062
    You saw them last week-end!!?? Man, I envy you! Do you remember the setlist?
    Just checked out their HP (which I didn't know was up and running) and they'll return to Belgium in august.
    I was hoping that they would play this years Roskilde Festival. But no danish shows this time. ARRRGGHHH!!
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    i downloaded it, and after a couple of listens I think its kind of Blah....nothing special...if I heard some bar band playing it, I wouldn't get excited or anything.
    "It's all happening"
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    dane wrote:
    You saw them last week-end!!?? Man, I envy you! Do you remember the setlist?
    Just checked out their HP (which I didn't know was up and running) and they'll return to Belgium in august.
    I was hoping that they would play this years Roskilde Festival. But no danish shows this time. ARRRGGHHH!!

Yes, I saw them last saturday !
    I don't remember the setlist perfectly. It was quite similmar to the Paris' setlsit. They started with United States, the they played today, etc.
    They played something like 10 tracks of the new album, 5 or 6 from Mellon Collie, and 5 or 6 from Siamese dream. Setlist can be found on the netphoria forum. There are also many pics taken during the show.
    I think I'm going to Pukkelpop in August to see them again.
    Are you coming ? :D
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
    Julien wrote:
    Yes, I saw them last saturday !
    I don't remember the setlist perfectly. It was quite similmar to the Paris' setlsit. They started with United States, the they played today, etc.
    They played something like 10 tracks of the new album, 5 or 6 from Mellon Collie, and 5 or 6 from Siamese dream. Setlist can be found on the netphoria forum. There are also many pics taken during the show.
    I think I'm going to Pukkelpop in August to see them again.
    Are you coming ? :D

Sounds like an awesome show!
    And no, I wont be seeing them this summer. But thanks for rubbing it in! ;)
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    its the best song ever written
    i love rock chicks
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    the music is reallly good but the lyrics seem kind of lame to me. I'm still gonna buy the album.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    pjfan020 wrote:
    the music is reallly good but the lyrics seem kind of lame to me. I'm still gonna buy the album.
    Yeah and he sings really bad now too. But the music is good enough that I can't stop listening.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Very cool song, the Pumpkins are in form again
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    danny72688 wrote:
    Yeah and he sings really bad now too. But the music is good enough that I can't stop listening.

What planet are you on?! His voice sounds just fine, he's never been an amazing singer, but he sounds like he always has.
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    I was only half impressed with the 30 sec clip that was released a while ago but I heard the whole thing yesterday and I gotta say it's pretty damn good. Feels like it'll grow on me more and more too.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
    What planet are you on?! His voice sounds just fine, he's never been an amazing singer, but he sounds like he always has.
    His voice is 100x happier than on MACHINA and all other Pumpkins songs (especially the chorus). I don't hate it but I think it's definitely nowhere near as good as before.
    danny72688 wrote:
    His voice is 100x happier than on MACHINA and all other Pumpkins songs (especially the chorus). I don't hate it but I think it's definitely nowhere near as good as before.

Happier? and really you are setting the bench mark at Machina.....

have you listened to the recent live stuff?
    Happier? and really you are setting the bench mark at Machina.....

have you listened to the recent live stuff?
    Not much and what I did hear sounded better. But the specific recording of Tarantula. Well....let's say with that kind of riff I was expecting vocals parallel to Silverfuck or Geek U.S.A....even The Everlasting Gaze.

BUT I'm also glad it's not a rehash, and it obviously doesn't bother me that much because I can't stop listening to the damn song ;)
    danny72688 wrote:
    Not much and what I did hear sounded better. But the specific recording of Tarantula. Well....let's say with that kind of riff I was expecting vocals parallel to Silverfuck or Geek U.S.A....even The Everlasting Gaze.

BUT I'm also glad it's not a rehash, and it obviously doesn't bother me that much because I can't stop listening to the damn song ;)

Haha, you're just being picky!!!
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    THAT SONG BLOWS. I'm sorry, but its not very good. Compare it to ANY other Smashing Pumkins single and it will get defeated......Remember when everyone was saying "It doenst matter if Iha or D'Arcy arnt in the band. Billy does everything on their records.", well thats total BULLSHIT! This song sucks!
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • Ali babaAli baba Posts: 36
    the song is THE BEST SONG IN THE WORLD

it is fun, energetic, good drumming, great solos, cool mix ...
    rage333 wrote:
    THAT SONG BLOWS. I'm sorry, but its not very good. Compare it to ANY other Smashing Pumkins single and it will get defeated......Remember when everyone was saying "It doenst matter if Iha or D'Arcy arnt in the band. Billy does everything on their records.", well thats total BULLSHIT! This song sucks!

I totally disagree, I think it's awesome, and so do the VAST majority of Pumpkins fans.
  • bertanbertan Posts: 266
    i just listened it once but i'm loving it.

did anyone actually think they would make another siamese dream? that is way in the past, to me it was obvious they would pick up from where machina left and it seems like that's what they've done. machina had some great stuff as well so i'm quite ok with this. great energy, good dynamics, and billy sounds great, what else could i ask for?

btw, tarantula kinda reminds me bodies, which is just another reason to love it :D
    "hey na na na na hey that's something"

30.09.2006 Athens | 18.06.2007 London | 18.08.2009 London | 05.07.2014 Werchter | 17.07.2018 London | 08.07.2022 London
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    I totally disagree, I think it's awesome, and so do the VAST majority of Pumpkins fans.

indeedy

and i dont care if this record sucks or is awesome becuase...

THE PUMPKINS ARE FUCKING BACK AND THEY ARE TOURING
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i like it alot!!!! its pretty rockin'.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    bertan wrote:
    i just listened it once but i'm loving it.

did anyone actually think they would make another siamese dream? that is way in the past, to me it was obvious they would pick up from where machina left and it seems like that's what they've done. machina had some great stuff as well so i'm quite ok with this. great energy, good dynamics, and billy sounds great, what else could i ask for?

btw, tarantula kinda reminds me bodies, which is just another reason to love it :D

I was hoping for a new Today ;)
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119
    rage333 wrote:

How is it bullshit? Billy does do everything (except drums)
  • WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 459
    What a rocking first single!! It's been awhile since a new release rocked like this.
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
    WWS wrote:
    What a rocking first single!! It's been awhile since a new release rocked like this.

only 1979 was higher on billboard modern rock charts ....
    tarantula is second behind linik suck
    i love rock chicks
  • At first I didn't really like it but it grew on me FAST. I love it now.. It's a pop song.

"You're the real, if real ever was.... just becuz,... you're real, if real ever was..."

what the hell? Kind of a crap line... but think about it as a pop song. It's pretty much a perfectly written chorus. Catchy as hell.

The crowd at the Orange Peel Saturday night exploded when they played it.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    seen it live 3 times

and its just so awesome

heard it loads of times before i went to the shows. Best new song so far.. starz and bleeding the orchid follow closly
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I'm a huge Pumpkins fan, but I think Tarantula is terrible.

The first time I heard it I thought it was an AFI, or 30 Seconds to Mars-type band.
    well
    afi doesnt have jimmy on drums or billy solo guitar crashing lies into dust
    i love rock chicks
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Tarantula is the best single they've had since Cherub Rock (unless you want to count Muzzle, which was a single in Europe). And I plan on buying as many copies of Zeitgeist as possible so I can have all the B-sides!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee