5) Dave Grohl

Runner-ups:
Brett Reed (Rancid)
Erik Sandin (NOFX)
i'll trade you my tee shirt for a grilled cheese
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    1 Keith Moon (If he is not on your list, you have not seen and heard him......if he is not first on your list......you need to relisten.
    2 John Densmore
    3 Dave Grohl (Should stick to drumming)
    4 Phil Collins
    5 Stephen Morris
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • dave grohl
    carter beauford
    neil peart
    tim alexander
    john bonham
    yes i aint.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    No particular order:

Keith moon (the who)
    John Bonham (Led Zep)
    Matt Cameron
    "Taz" Patrick Bentley (Rev Horton heat/ Burden Brothers)
    Neil Peart (Rush)
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    1) John Bonham
    2) Jon Theodore (hands down the best I have ever seen live; The Mars Volta aren't the same without him)
    3) Keith Moon
    4) Jose Pasillas
    5) Glen Kotche (from Wilco; severely underrated)
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Keith Moon (the who)
    John Bonham (led zep)
    Mike 'Puffy' Bordin (fnm)
    Chad Sexton (311)
    Dave Grohl
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Keith Moon
    John Bonham
    Brann Dailor (Mastodon)
    Dave Grohl (Especially on Songs for the Deaf ~ QOTSA)
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    listening to Who's next gave me a new perspective of what is possible on the drum kit.

the fills in "won't get fooled again"...........goosebumps...... and then the biggest scream ever recorded in rock 'n roll........
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    1.Taylor Hawkins:)
    2.Matt Cameron:)
    3.Stewart Copeland
    4.John Bonham
    5.Keith Moon/Roger Taylor

I also love Joey Castillo, Dave Grohl, Nathan Followill and Patrick Hallahan.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'm not saying these guys are the best but here is who i like:

brann dailor (mastodon)
    matt cameron (soundgarden/pj)
    John Bonham (zep)
    danny carey (tool)
    john baizley (baroness)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    No order really

Billy Cobham (Miles Davis/Mahavishnu Orchestra etc)
    Elvin Jones (John Coltrane)
    Brendan Canty (Fugazi)
    Jeff Nelson (Minor Threat)
    Max Roach (Anyone who was anyone in jazz)

Only jazz and punk. Strange :cool::D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Favorites, not necessarily who I think is the best:

Neil Peart
    Billy Cobham (but, umm, he is the best :))
    Tim Alexander
    Stephen Perkins
    Tony Williams
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    BinFrog wrote:
    Billy Cobham (but, umm, he is the best :))
    Saw him live. You'd think watching an old man starting a drum solo by tapping his cymbals with his fingernails for 4 minutes would be really boring. But no.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    no order

danny carey - tool

keith moon - the who

ginger baker - cream and the like

jack irons - RHCP/pearl jam

john bonham --- ZEPP
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    glasshouse wrote:
    listening to Who's next gave me a new perspective of what is possible on the drum kit.

exactly. some of those songs are just incredible. i think i remember "my wife" being especially good for moon. i once heard his style described as a set of drums being thrown down a flight of stairs. he was wicked.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    David Dowle
    Rikki Rockett
    Mike Geary
    Rod Morgenstein
    Bobby Blotzer
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    Lars Ulrich (that's right i said it)
    Jack Irons
    Keith Moon
    John Bonham
    Janet Wiess
    Animal
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
    buddy rich was a phenomenal drummer too, i had him in my list but took him out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDU-ZyBQRnQ&feature=related
    buddy rich was a phenomenal drummer too, i had him in my list but took him out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDU-ZyBQRnQ&feature=related
    Buddy definitely needs a mention. He was the BEST drummer ever probably in terms of ability but he didn't make my list because I don't really like his music. I picked a bunch of other jazz drummers over him because their work, whether as technically accomplished or not, does a lot more for me on the albums they're on. Elvin Jones' drumming with Coltrane is just so important to the overall sound for me. I haven't heard anywhere near as much from Rich but he's not a drummer I listen to the music of, he's the kind of drummer I watch videos on youtube of in amazement, if that makes any sense :)

Amazing musician though. Incredible.
  • jsk175jsk175 Posts: 70
    No Jimmy Chamberlin yet!!
  • 1.Taylor Hawkins:)

You know, it's funny. I got dragged along to an Alanis Morisette concert once and the only person I was really interested in seeing was him, but he'd bleedin' well left the band by then. :(

Matt Cameron
    Jimmy Chaimberlain
    Sean Kinney
    Mike Bordin
    Tre cool

Just my personal preferences. :)
    You know, it's funny. I got dragged along to an Alanis Morisette concert once and the only person I was really interested in seeing was him, but he'd bleedin' well left the band by then. :(

Matt Cameron
    Jimmy Chaimberlain
    Sean Kinney
    Mike Bordin
    Tre cool

Just my personal preferences. :)
    Bordin is great.

Chamberlin was the only good thing about the Pumpkins when I saw them at Reading last year. That guy has phenomenal power.
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    John Bonham
    Keith Moon
    Ginger Baker
    Buddy Rich
    Elvin Jones

ask me tomorrow and Moon and Bonham stay at the top....anyone else can sneak in
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    jsk175 wrote:
    No Jimmy Chamberlin yet!!

One of my favourites, that guy is a fucking machine.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Keith Moon DEFINITLEY elevates the music to a whole new level.

My favourite though is Dave Grohl. Probably my favourite all around musician.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Dave grohl - nirvana power housing is the greatest
    Jack irons - very unique
    Matt cameron - is god
    patrick keller (or whatever his name is)- guy from raconteurs, was phenomenal live
    Butch - the eels rule!
  • learntojamlearntojam Posts: 15
    Surprised at the lack of love for Carter Beauford in this thread. Man has skills
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    Nicko McBrain
    Tim "Herb" Alexander
    Mike Bordin
    Matt Cameron
    John Bonham
  • ProgFan511ProgFan511 Posts: 51
    Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater,Liquid Tension Experiment, O.S.I, Neal Morse)
    Thomas Pridgen (The Mars Volta)
    Gene Hoglan (Death, Dark Angel, SYL, Testament, Devin Townsend)
    John Bohnam
    Neil Peart(Rush)

Notables:
    Dave Lombardo (Slayer, Fantomas)
    Terry Bozzio (Zappa, Fantomas and a million others)
    Buddy Rich
    Keith Moon
    Charlie Zeleny
    6/22/08 DC
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    jack irons
    barricuda drummer
    john bonham
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out