Tasteful Metal

Comments

• EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    no offence but judging by your favourite metal bands you don't exactly appear to be an authority on the subject
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Echoes wrote:
    no offence but judging by your favourite metal bands you don't exactly appear to be an authority on the subject

No offence taken at all, but I can tell what is and isn't 'metal' just as I can tell the difference between what is and isn't classical music. Deftones might not be ultra heavy, but are/were still metal none the less.
    my point was you listed a whole bunch of hard rock bands as 'tasteful metal.'

but I don't listen to much Deftones but I dunno from what I've heard they've got some pretty metall sounding stuff
  • Check out the Acacia Strain.
  • Echoes wrote:
    my point was you listed a whole bunch of hard rock bands as 'tasteful metal.'

but I don't listen to much Deftones but I dunno from what I've heard they've got some pretty metall sounding stuff

Again Chevelle and Taproot have some 'metal' tunes, I'll happily post some for your judgement if you like? To be fair, the original post cited Deftones as an example of 'tasteful metal', and the bands I listed were probably closer to them than some of the others people have listed. To me, and I may be wrong, but I think the original poster was referring to more melodic metal, so obviously they aren't going to be as heavy.
  • Echoes wrote:
    I'd consider the Deftones metal, just about.
  • I'd consider the Deftones metal, just about.

Yeah for sure, Chino can scream with the best of them. For me they are the perfect balance of heavy and melodic.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I got into metal by listening to Alice in Chains, Dirt was quite heavy for me at the time, and I gradually wanted to progress. Also, you could give Fozzy a try!

A few bands mentioned already...

Down are certainly one to add to the list... the second album is great... and so is Phil Anselmo.

Type O are a little repetative...

And if all else fails and you can listen to Hayseed Dixie! :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
    Again Chevelle and Taproot have some 'metal' tunes, I'll happily post some for your judgement if you like? To be fair, the original post cited Deftones as an example of 'tasteful metal', and the bands I listed were probably closer to them than some of the others people have listed. To me, and I may be wrong, but I think the original poster was referring to more melodic metal, so obviously they aren't going to be as heavy.

I wasn't hassling because you weren't listing bands like Dissection or Cryptopsy. I've heard Chevelle and Taproot. Dudes are hard rock. Having some 'metal' tunes doesn't make you a metal band. Otherwise Ween would be a metal band.
  • Echoes wrote:
    I wasn't hassling because you weren't listing bands like Dissection or Cryptopsy. I've heard Chevelle and Taproot. Dudes are hard rock. Having some 'metal' tunes doesn't make you a metal band. Otherwise Ween would be a metal band.
    True, but just because a metal band takes their collective feet off the pedal every once in awhile doesn't make them any less of metal. Opeth, for instance, have an entire album consisting of melodic prog-rock. Would you ever accuse them of not being a metal band?
    nope. They have a history of multiple straight-up awesome metal albums. I will reverse your argument, though, and say that just because a band "puts their collective feet on the pedal," they are still not a metal band. I mean sure Soundgarden and Chevelle and Taprooot and Ween drop the hammer sometimes, but I'll never consider them a metal band - does that makes sense?
  • Echoes wrote:
    nope. They have a history of multiple straight-up awesome metal albums. I will reverse your argument, though, and say that just because a band "puts their collective feet on the pedal," they are still not a metal band. I mean sure Soundgarden and Chevelle and Taprooot and Ween drop the hammer sometimes, but I'll never consider them a metal band - does that makes sense?
    With the exception of maybe Orchid, Opeth have never really released a straight-up metal album. Every single one contains very soft elements, acoustic guitars and soforth, even even entire songs without any distortion.
    Anyway, I see what you're saying, but the difference with a band like Soundgarden lies in the style of music they're playing, as well as the intensity. You don't ever hear Chris Cornell screeching in a 'metal' manner, so to speak, in the way that Moreno does with the Deftones. A band like Soundgarden could never be considered metal because they never become heavy enough, even in their heaviest moments. Yes, I know that a lot of their songs are indebted to Black Sabbath etc and are quite heavy, but overall they maintain a 'hard rock' sound throughout their music.
    The Deftones, on the other hand, sound like a metal band for the most part (unless you consider a band sans solos unmetal :p), from the level of distortion through to the vocals.
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    True, but just because a metal band takes their collective feet off the pedal every once in awhile doesn't make them any less of metal. Opeth, for instance, have an entire album consisting of melodic prog-rock. Would you ever accuse them of not being a metal band?

No, because the album you are refering to was a second side to their metal album.
    Im not tryin to start shit, but just because something is heavy doesnt make then metal. Go try to find deftones in any metal section in a music store and I bet they are in the pop-rock section.
  • PJ-Sin wrote:
    No, because the album you are refering to was a second side to their metal album.
    Im not tryin to start shit, but just because something is heavy doesnt make then metal. Go try to find deftones in any metal section in a music store and I bet they are in the pop-rock section.
    They're in the metal section of every record store in Dublin.
    dude I pretty much conceeded the fact that the Deftones sounded pretty metal earlier. I haven't listened to very much, but I don't have a problem with them in the heavy metal pantheon, at the moment.

And man you're taking this places I don't want to go, really with the discussion of "shades" of metal (as in, this album is not completely metal, etc.). I suppose I could say something more, but I need to go to work, and I can think about it there, but the precense of an acoustic track or an interlude does not make an album any less metal to me - when describing My Arms Your Hearse or Blackwater Park, I wouldn't tell someone it is meoldic death metal/acoustic prog album, I would probably just call it a melodic death metal album (and maybe mention the progressive overtones as well). I dunno. Same with ensiferum. I'll call it folk metal but not "folk metal/acoustic folk/chant"
  • Echoes wrote:
    dude I pretty much conceeded the fact that the Deftones sounded pretty metal earlier. I haven't listened to very much, but I don't have a problem with them in the heavy metal pantheon, at the moment.

And man you're taking this places I don't want to go, really with the discussion of "shades" of metal (as in, this album is not completely metal, etc.). I suppose I could say something more, but I need to go to work, and I can think about it there, but the precense of an acoustic track or an interlude does not make an album any less metal to me - when describing My Arms Your Hearse or Blackwater Park, I wouldn't tell someone it is meoldic death metal/acoustic prog album, I would probably just call it a melodic death metal album (and maybe mention the progressive overtones as well). I dunno. Same with ensiferum. I'll call it folk metal but not "folk metal/acoustic folk/chant"
    I know, apologies for splitting hairs there, but all in the name of conversation I say!
    They're in the metal section of every record store in Dublin.

Well, you Irish people are just silly drunks. LOL (Im part Irish, so dont get offended)

Actually I hate labeling music anyway.
    Ive always thought it would be a cool idea to start a record store and just have one section for EVERY kind of music. That way you wouldnt have to wonder what band was in what section and stupid shit like that.
  • Echoes wrote:

No I kind of do get where you are coming from, but how do you really define metal? Like I said in my previous post, I think the bands I mentioned are closer to the sound the original poster was talking about. I'm not sure really otherwise what 'Tasteful Metal' is!! I presumed it was more easily digested metal, which by its very definition is going to be more accessible (which to me means melodic) and Taproot and Chevelle are two bands that spring to mind when I think of that.
  • i didn't think metal was supposed to be tasteful but anywho here are my recommendations:

mastodon (i know you already said you gave them a shot but try harder, they indeed are the cats pyjamas)

in flames (melodic death metal, singer might be a little harsh to be tasteful)

jesu (post-metal, a fusion of post rock and metal)

isis (kinda like jesu but their songs are more traditional in arrangement, singing can be abrasive)

neurosis ( also a post metal band with empahsis on mood and tone over immediacy)

godflesh (an earlier more accesible version of jesu from justin broadrick, their later albums are the most accesible, such as hymns)

some more accesible metal:
    slipknot (they rock kinda, subliminal verses and their self titled album are their best in my opinion, rocks and is catchy as hell)

korn (never really liked them but anywho their best albums are korn, follow the leader and untouchables in my opinion)

machine head (groove metal band, heavily influenced by thrash, best albums are burn my eyes, the more things change and through the ashes of empires. Fucking ignore the burning red and especcially supercharger. they went all nu metal on these albums and sucked at that to be honest)

high on fire (energetic stoner metal band, get blessed black wings)

kyuss (more laid back stoner metal band, best albums are blues for the red sun and welcome to sky valley)

go rock out baby doll
    no offense but i think if you can't handle pantera and mastodon then maybe metal isn't for you cos in all fairness they are two of the greatest metal bands ever
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • any chance people can recommend some good music they like for this person and leave the genre debate to the 15 yr olds???
    already did on the second post.

From what I've heard of Godflesh, it wasn't much more accessible than Jesu - are albums other than Streetcleaner less abrasive?
  • MatchesMatches Posts: 12
    Not sure what it is classified as, so I dunno if it is metal, hard rock, alt rock, alt metal. Doesn't matter to me, I like these bands too.

Wednesday 13 Every song is catchy. Yes, they are all about death, dying and the dead, but there is something about the songs that is very catchy.
    Murderdolls Again, a lot like Wed. 13 (he is the singer) but a little heavier.
    Dope. Weird, but fun.

All are heavier, tend towards being fast, yet not nearly as heavy as some of the others, but not nearly as light as normal rock.
  • Echoes wrote:
    already did on the second post.

From what I've heard of Godflesh, it wasn't much more accessible than Jesu - are albums other than Streetcleaner less abrasive?

streetcleaner is probably their most abrasive.

seems as their career went on justin started getting more accessible so by albums like hymns they are pretty catchy.

songs like anthem, deaf, dumb and blind and animals are pretty accesible.

especially anthem.

what i meant was their song structures and instrumentation are more traditional than jesu.
  • TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    Shadows Fall

great band
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Killswitch Engage - has anyone mentioned them yet? They have some really catchy songs, do they count as metal?! Well I quite like them anyway.....
  • Matches wrote:
    Not sure what it is classified as, so I dunno if it is metal, hard rock, alt rock, alt metal. Doesn't matter to me, I like these bands too.

Wednesday 13 Every song is catchy. Yes, they are all about death, dying and the dead, but there is something about the songs that is very catchy.
    Murderdolls Again, a lot like Wed. 13 (he is the singer) but a little heavier.
    Dope. Weird, but fun.
    I heard a Wednesday 13 song on a Terrorizer cd recently and it wasn't so hot.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Have any of you all heard of/checked out the band Amon Amarth?

I was listening to some of their previews on itunes and kind of liked what i heard. Any opinions on them good or bad?

If good any album suggestions?

Thanks
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 141
    drew0 wrote:
    I'm trying to get into metal, but I can't find any tasteful metal that I like. It's hard to say what I'm looking for, but I've been listening to a lot of Deftones and Metallica lately, and want more heavy stuff. I've tried Pantera, like some of the stuff - some of their work I find to not be as good, though. I love Five Minutes Alone, and just about anything I've heard by the Deftones (mainly their bigger hits and all of White Pony), and anything by Metallica from Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, and Justice For All. What are some other songs / bands that would be appealing to fans of that type of metal? I tried Mastodon, and the only song I liked was Blood & Thunder.

Metal is kind of a tough genre to get into, simply because there are so many "types" of metal. And then there are the never-ending debates as to what is metal and what is not metal (if you've read all the posts so far, you've gotten to see that).

Based on what you've said here (Deftones, Metallica, some Pantera) I would say to check out Pantera's "Vulgar Display of Power" and "Far Beyond Driven". By far their best albums (IMO) with some very catchy metal tunes (I prefer Vulgar Display for songs like Walk and F'n Hostile). I would say to check out all of Metallica's tunes, just to see if you like the "other" stuff. I agree with the poster who said that Load and Reload aren't bad...particularly Load. If you get the chance, see these guys live - they are absolutely amazing. Other bands to check out that are easier to listen to (again, IMO) would be:
    Korn (just the first album....great metal record, though their later stuff isn't too bad)
    Mudvayne (particularly their second album, though the others aren't too bad)
    Incubus' "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." (their only "metal" record)
    Fear Factory (though you probably want to skip Concrete, which was a death metal record before they got into the melodic/industrial metal vein.....Demanufacture and Obsolete would be great places to start)
    Killswitch Engage is pretty good

Other stuff I like which you may want to give a try (later) include
    Lamb Of God
    Coal Chamber (kinda similar to early Korn)
    Devildriver (Coal Chamber's singer decided Coal Chamber wasn't metal enough so he started this band)
    Sepultura (again, anything before Roots)
    Soulfly (or the Roots album from Sepultura)
    Trivium (definite Metallica influence)
    Demon Hunter (Korn/Slipknot mix....sorta)
    Slipknot
    Stone Sour
    Marilyn Manson
    Nine Inch Nails
    I like Cradle of Filth's "Nymphetamine" album, but haven't heard any of their other stuf...some people like 'em, and others despise them.
    White Zombie (not to be confused with Rob Zombie's solo career)

I personally have never gotten into the whole death metal or black metal genres cuz it's just a little too over the top for me. Sometimes Manson can be too (but you might already know that). And I'm sure that some of the stuff I've listed here can be fodder for discussion / debate / arguing. In the end, all that really matters is what you personally like. This is the stuff that I like when it comes to metal....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
    Killswitch Engage - has anyone mentioned them yet? They have some really catchy songs, do they count as metal?! Well I quite like them anyway.....

Yeah, I would say probably Nu-metal, but metal none the less. They are pretty catchy, yes, and great live, but somehow just get very repetative and boring for me (but I DO like them...) If you like KSE you should try Agony Scene (KSE's guitarist Adam produced thier album and it pretty much kicks ass)

Also, I just thought about Fear Factory. They are more "industrial metal" with some of the most powerfull vocal harmonies I can think of. Plus thier drummer is OFF THE HOOK!!!
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    any chance people can recommend some good music they like for this person and leave the genre debate to the 15 yr olds???

Haha thank you. I got more than enough recommendations, but I do get kind of annoyed when someone says one thing and people only discuss that. Happens a lot, but anywho. I don't care if people don't consider the Deftones metal, I consider them alternative metal, and that's what they're labeled as - I mean, listen to Elite. That's not rock & roll, or pop, or rap.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08