Jack Johnson or John Mayer

2»

Comments

• His songwriting isn't quitethere yet, but he's shown that he can do anything (listen to 'Too Good For Me' or 'Stay' for his softer side). I think he's a MUCH better guitarist.

Roll Away is my favourite song on the album, and I think it's his best "song", as opposed to best guitar workout... But his cover of Outside Woman Blues is an awesome display of guitar heroism.:D

That said, I don't think he's THAT much better of a guitarist - more flashy, definitely, but I like the tasteful stuff Mayer does as well. And Mayer's songs are definitely more fully-formed.

No reason why either of them has to shit on the other anyway.:p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    Their website says they are going to be at Bonnaroo. You lucky people are even more lucky than I thought!
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    my vote if for john mayer. i've seen him once.

do not leave your seat -- short show
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • FoxwellFoxwell Posts: 142
    For my money, John Mayer's music isn't good enough to ignore his personality.

In public and on stage he comes across as contrived and self-indulgent (I saw him and the Marley Brothers at the Hollywood Bowl; they joined Dave Matthews on stage for a stellar version of "Exodus".) .

Regarding his performances, he's akin to Celine Dion, in that there's a disconnect between how much emotion they show on their faces and the art that is being produced.

To look at him play, you'd think he was possessed by the spirit of Robert Johnson. To listen to him play, you'd think more along the lines of Robert Goulet.

Jack Johnson, on the other hand, seems more genuine to me, and his music puts a smile on my face.

Either way, I hope you make your decision based on the music and not on the relative hotness of the girls in the crowd, or who shits on whom, or what some douche bag like me says. It's about the music, right?
    "In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer." -- Albert Camus

"He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that." -- John Stuart Mill

"Mongo just a pawn in game of life." -- Mongo
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Roll Away is my favourite song on the album, and I think it's his best "song", as opposed to best guitar workout... But his cover of Outside Woman Blues is an awesome display of guitar heroism.:D

That said, I don't think he's THAT much better of a guitarist - more flashy, definitely, but I like the tasteful stuff Mayer does as well. And Mayer's songs are definitely more fully-formed.

No reason why either of them has to shit on the other anyway.:p
    My favourite softer song is Stay, or Too Good For Me, or Rollaway, or Gotta Leave. Can you tell I love these guys?

And I never get tired of showing this picture:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=396000&l=71df4&id=512465746
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • pearlygirlypearlygirly Posts: 48
    Definately see Jack Johnson. He puts on a good show, and if your lucky (like I was) you might even catch him cover Pearl Jam.
    I said YEH!
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    Jack Johnson
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Foxwell wrote:
    To look at him play, you'd think he was possessed by the spirit of Robert Johnson. To listen to him play, you'd think more along the lines of Robert Goulet.

that's perfect....:D

my may be a technically a good guitarist but he has no soul

i haven't seen jack in person but i'd choose him over mayer every time
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Definately see Jack Johnson. He puts on a good show, and if your lucky (like I was) you might even catch him cover Pearl Jam.

What song did he cover?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
    His songwriting isn't quitethere yet, but he's shown that he can do anything (listen to 'Too Good For Me' or 'Stay' for his softer side). I think he's a MUCH better guitarist.

weak songwriting = Kenny Wayne Sheperd Syndrome. Dude sure can play, though. :D
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    John Mayer shits on everything Jack has ever done. People that say Mayer sucks are simple stupid because he can play the guitar better than 95% of the people that you listen to. His lyrics aren't that strong..Jacks aren't either. I like both singers music, but if I were you I would choose Mayer.
  • magikevmagikev Posts: 296
    i don't know about that

Jonny Lang and Kenny Wayne Sheppard both smoke John Mayer

I've seen Jonny Lang live as well, and personally thought Mayer was better. I do love Jonny Lang though.