Jack Johnson or John Mayer

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited May 2008 in Other Music
I'm limited on money this year, and a friend of mine wants to go see both of these artists - I really only want to pay for one. Who puts on the better show?
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    drew0 wrote:
    I'm limited on money this year, and a friend of mine wants to go see both of these artists - I really only want to pay for one. Who puts on the better show?
    John Mayer is a hell of a guitarist. Both of them... bunches of chicks at their concerts... not the typical dude ranch you see everywhere else.
    Jack Johnson girls cuter... mostly because John Mayer girls... well, you'll probably be getting a call from Chris Hansen of Dateline:NBC.
    I like Jack Johnson's music, better.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB2aLz5YSDo

This should tell you all you need to know.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    definitely john mayer. he is a great performer and one of the best guitarists in the world, regardless to what the haters say.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Mayer.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    neither...save your money
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • John Mayer
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    As much as I don't like the stuff he writes, John Mayer kicks ass at guitar. Jack Johnson... kinda puts me to sleep.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • magikevmagikev Posts: 296
    Mayer. Best "young" blues guitarist around . ..period.
  • magikev wrote:

i don't know about that

Jonny Lang and Kenny Wayne Sheppard both smoke John Mayer
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
    magikev wrote:
    I beg to differ, Everybody, let me introduce you to Davy Knowles, age 21:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=50DbjogXuyc
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    John Mayer, without a doubt... don't like Johnson at all.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622

What he said.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    John Mayer. He is excellent live. And way less boring.
    Cock Fight.
  • I beg to differ, Everybody, let me introduce you to Davy Knowles, age 21:

I've spent the last hour or so investigating this guy, and all I have to say is this: Wow.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    i have never seen jack johnson live....i love his music.

but.....

a couple of years ago, i went to a counting crows/john mayer show. counting crows played first. i left about 5 songs into john mayer's show. it was TERRIBLE....and the little teeny boppers in the crowd were so annoying.
  • righteousbaberighteousbabe Posts: 662

exactly what i was thinking.
  • SDHSClassof82SDHSClassof82 Posts: 306
    Jack, definitely. But I'm female, and I admit, the attraction isn't entirely musical.
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”
  • MerkingBoyMerkingBoy Posts: 249
    Yes Sir,

Both of 'em only attract to females, preps, and homosexuals.
  • Don't listen to the ignorant people on here go see John Mayer and be prepared to have a good time simple as that
    I've spent the last hour or so investigating this guy, and all I have to say is this: Wow.
    I know, absolutley fucking amazing.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    mensane wrote:
    i have never seen jack johnson live....i love his music.

but.....

a couple of years ago, i went to a counting crows/john mayer show. counting crows played first. i left about 5 songs into john mayer's show. it was TERRIBLE....and the little teeny boppers in the crowd were so annoying.

Yeah that's when he was making his crap pop music. Now at least he's got a good blues groove going.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I saw that guy in a tiny pub when he was about 18 and had never played to more than 50 people probably and the first thing I said when I walked out was "that guy shits all over clapton and all other whiteboy blues players".
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Mayer
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Mayer
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    Holy fucking shit! HOLY SHIT!
    I was checking out the youtube clip, the guitar intro, the second dude started singing, redeyes asks "Who is that?"
    This dude is good...
    oh, and Jack Johnson!!!!!!!!!!!! John Mayer makes music for 12 year old girls... so fathers be good to your daughters yeah...
    I can't STAND John Mayer's lyrics, he is a great guitarist, but damn, his lyrics are awful!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
    I beg to differ, Everybody, let me introduce you to Davy Knowles, age 21:

This kid should go upside Mayer's head with his Telecaster :p. Loved the Freebird video when Davy and his mates were in middle school!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I hated both of them last year, then I saw John Mayer at Bridge. He was the best performance I saw. Now I just hate Jack Johnson.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    i really liked jack johnsons last 2 albums, hated anything since then. saw him while back and show was really good i thought.

But JJs live show sounds like a totally different vibe than what Mayers seems like - im getting from these Mayer youtube clips....and i knew nothing of him before....dont expect anything like that at JJ show...its all very mid-tempo and "pleasant"...

BACK DOOR SLAM eh? that kid is brilliant! He's younger than me and im not old!, thats very depressing
  • Back Door Slam guitarist is insane, yes, but some of you guys are getting too hype saying he SHITS on Mayer...
    Back Door Slam guitarist is insane, yes, but some of you guys are getting too hype saying he SHITS on Mayer...
    His songwriting isn't quitethere yet, but he's shown that he can do anything (listen to 'Too Good For Me' or 'Stay' for his softer side). I think he's a MUCH better guitarist.