Bonus Tracks/Foriegn Releases

scw156scw156 Posts: 442
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I was surfing the internet tonight looking at a bunch of different bands albums. Following link after link lead me from one band to the next to the next and I started noticing a pattern. Pretty much every band that released an album always released extra songs on the Japanese version of the album... the track listing always have "additional songs for Japanese release" on wikipedia pages etc.

Whats the deal with this? Why do bands (including Pearl Jam) release one version almost everywhere and then have a second, longer version with bonus tracks in Japan (and sometimes some places in Europe)

Am I missing something? Why hold some songs back from a certain audience?

If this is in the wrong forum or I'm just a moron and overlooking something feel free to rip me a new one.

thanks
The Sentence Below Is True
The Sentence Above Is False
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think albums are much more money there so bands do it to give people a little something extra for the extra money spent. I could be wrong, but I remember reading that somewhere a long time ago.
  • American bands don't tend to tour overseas as much.

Hence, other countries are given bonus tracks.

or so has been my understanding.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • CD are more expensive in Europe than in the US (here in Germany a regular CD is between 16 and 18€ and that's the cheapest I know in western Europe, in Belgium or France you are very often over 20€) and even more expensive in Japan. Record companies use extra songs (sometimes extra CDs) to make sure people buy the domestic version and not any (cheaper) import version.
    Landgraaf 00 Hamburg 00
    Arnhem 06 Antwerp 06 Berlin 06
    Düsseldorf 07 Nijmegen 07

Neil Young And Friends Berlin 95
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Yeah I think it has to do with how much more expensive cds are outside of the US. A cd in a record shop here in the UK will still cost you on average £12 which is roughly $24. To be fair we can get them cheaper online now, about £8/$16.

For example to buy Coldplay's latest cd from amazon.co.uk it costs £8.98, and on amazon.com it costs $9.99 - nearly half the price.
  • angelm20angelm20 Posts: 142
    Its just not fair~I hate that shit~ Its not our fault they have to pay more~ We want the bonus tracks too!
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,058
    its like the bands who reissue their CD's 6 months after it came out with a free bonus DVd or Cd or something, so we all have to buy it twice...well those of us who are stupid enoough to do that...

Me thinks its mostly a ploy by the labels rather than the bands
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I never really understood that either, but it makes sense to try and make up for the higher cost in other countries.
  • I thought it had something to do with Japan not getting b-sides on their singles?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    CD are more expensive in Europe than in the US (here in Germany a regular CD is between 16 and 18€ and that's the cheapest I know in western Europe, in Belgium or France you are very often over 20€) and even more expensive in Japan. Record companies use extra songs (sometimes extra CDs) to make sure people buy the domestic version and not any (cheaper) import version.

That makes sense. Thanks for replying everyone
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 628
    if they release the same product that's available in the US in another country, it's considered an import over there and subject to huge taxes and tariffs. if they change the product even a little (by adding a song) and have them printed or pressed (whatever physically making them is called) in that country, they consider it a domestic product and it's much more affordable to that country's consumers. so it's not to screw us, even though it feels it. i suppose if japan produced any music that got popular in america, we'd get the extended version. getting the original, short version isn't always bad though, especially when an album is carefully sequenced. think how fucked up ten would sound if wash followed release.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    id be happy without the extra tracks if the bands toured more here. :)
    for example, every time pearl jam annouce one of their little mini tours alls i hear on this board is bitch bitch bitch about oh why wont the boys play the south. oh i hope they tour the west coast/east coast/whatever the case may be. id relish the opportunity to see pearl jam play as often as you all do in the US without the prohibitive cost involved. and yeah yeah yeah i know theyre an american band. :rolleyes: you want the bonus tracks, get on the internet and buy the import. :p:)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    I thought it had something to do with Japan not getting b-sides on their singles?
    I'm pretty sure it's because the Japanese music market is much slower than elsewhere. Meaning people don't really buy singles at all there. So in order to give fans access to the b-sides bands include them on the albums.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • CD are more expensive in Europe than in the US (here in Germany a regular CD is between 16 and 18€ and that's the cheapest I know in western Europe, in Belgium or France you are very often over 20€) and even more expensive in Japan. Record companies use extra songs (sometimes extra CDs) to make sure people buy the domestic version and not any (cheaper) import version.

This is correct.
    I'm pretty sure it's because the Japanese music market is much slower than elsewhere. Meaning people don't really buy singles at all there. So in order to give fans access to the b-sides bands include them on the albums.

This is not.

If bonus trakcs were not included, overseas distributors would reject albums that are identical to the US releases because people can simply purchase cheaper US imports. Without widescale distribution in each country, releases wouldn't be promoted and artists wouldn't be have their music in all stores. Inaccessible music severely limits the audience an artist can reach, so it's in their best interest to secure distro deals and provide additional tracks so the distributors can profit.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)