Options

Does anyone actually buy music anymore?

2»

Comments

• Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    i buy cds. i love cds. i'd much rather have a cd then a file. if the file is all i have then ok, but i love my cds.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    After getting a cd burner, I went about 2 years without buying one cd, then I would buy a cd not very often, 3 or 4 a year maybe, and about a year ago I started buying again, now I buy 3-4 albums a month.........mostly ones that I wanted to own after burning, stuff I know I would want, and rarely a new album
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    I do. Just bought two yesterday.
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I have turntables though so I actually get way more vinyl records than cds........but they are all used ones that I get for no more than a dollar most of the time
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    pjamdude69pjamdude69 Posts: 174
    I buy CD's all the time.. Just got Binaural, Vitalogy and No Code last night- got ALL my CD's ripped off a couple years ago, and slowly but surely getting all the PJ studio stuff re-purchased. Finally completed it by getting those last three. Been subsisting on boots, burned stuff, Benaroya, etc, etc. Finally figured fuck it, it's goddamn time to finish off the collection.

Been pickin up old school rock CD's lately too- all the old Van Halen (the first four), AC/DC (Bon Scott stuff), Best of the Who, etc.. I prefer stuff I already know rocks. If it's a new band, I may check out some of those 30 second snippets that were mentioned above, just to get a taste... Or even check out a particular bands' website....

Buying, seeing, touching, feeling, reading liner notes, all good things about purchasing a CD..
    "On the edge of a know-nothin' town, Feelin' quite superior in Den Haag"

11.05.93- Indio, CA
    07.13.98- Inglewood, CA
    10.28.00- San Bernardino, CA
    06.02.03- Irvine, CA
    07.23.06- The Gorge
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I don't like downloading music really. There's a place by me called "rolling stones" that sells cd's really cheap. A cd will usually cost me 7.99 as opposed to itunes and paying ten bucks. I too like looking at my cd rack and seeing all of those cases stacked up. I rip a lot of them onto my computer, but i don't want to go out and spend a couple hundred bucks on an ipod. Cd's are better to me. I'll ocassionaly go out and pick up records too. I've got about a good twenty records of classic rock stuff and a couple pj. Fuck digital music.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,851
    even flow? wrote:
    I still buy vinyl and cds. I don't own a computer. So that is that.

How do you get 10,000+ posts and not own a computer?

I sense a scam. Or possibly a scam-ola! :D
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Eraserhead wrote:
    How do you get 10,000+ posts and not own a computer?

I sense a scam. Or possibly a scam-ola! :D

Work allows me seven hours of play and one hour of work. ;) No night or weekend posts for this PJ fan.

Tremorisinmytree: I used to love the smell of new cassettes when you opened them.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    even flow? wrote:
    Work allows me seven hours of play and one hour of work. ;) No night or weekend posts for this PJ fan.

I didn't know you worked in my building.

:D

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    Anything that I like I will buy the CD.

I havent downloaded much in the last couple of years but anything I did download and liked I would buy. I have about 350 cds right now. Buy about 2 a month I would estimate.

I do however buy a ton of used ones. There is a great store in the area that has an online wishlist that checks stock in all the other locations. Get stuff transferred locally or mailed to you. Prices are about 1/2 of a new disc.

http://www.beatgoeson.com

They always have a ton of the 2000 bootlegs. :)
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I buy CDs and legal downloads. But I'm so unorganized, that I do buy CDs of stuff that I want to listen to alot. My experience with downloading is it sits on a computer, then MAYBE I get it into an MP3 player, or *maybe* I burn it onto a CD, but then it just doesn't have the same 'weight' as an officially produced and bought CD.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    I buy cds and download music. mainly i buy cds for collection i find myself buying a cd putting it in my computer and then never seeing it again but it still wouldnt be the same to just download an album without getting a chance to see the artwork and stuff. CDs for me are still a must.
    Hail, hail the lucky ones, I refer to those in love....
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    I download music, when I found it good enough I will buy it.
    Only of my favourite bands I will buy the albums directly!
  • Options
    Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    I buy cds still...I bought the new Pearl Jam one...and the new Buckcherry cd comes out next week. :) I buy vinyl too :p
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • Options
    i buy about 3 or 4 cds a year...they're too expensive for students!
    but it would never come to my mind to burn or download a pearl jam album!
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
  • Options
    I used to download alot but now I don't like bothering with it. Most P2P programs come up with alot of questionable or corrupt files anyway. If I'm on the cheap about purchasing an album, I'll lend it out from the local library and burn a copy.
    The other great thing about the library (atleast the Columbus and Westerville systems) is that they have a terrific selection of older and newer CDs. It's great to spend a few hours just browsing albums you've never heard of or listened to and checking them out if you feel like it.
    I reserve actual purchases for stuff I plan on keeping until I'm on my death bed... like PJ, Tool, NIN.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I've bought every CD I own. I love the artwork and basically the whole experience of waiting for a new CD and buying it as soon as it's availible.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    With the extremly easy access to music now, how many people actually buy it?

I know lots of people who have a huge unpaid for collection.

Call me a traditionalist, but unfortunately for my bank account I keep spending lots of money every week buying music... I just love having an album in my hands, staring at the cover and going through the booklet info and art with the eyes of a child... yeah, I know the end is close for those of my kind, but I'll take it while I can... I can listen to digital music, but it's just not my thing...
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    transplant wrote:

besides, finding room to store CD's is becoming a pain in my ass.

That's soooooo true... One of my worst nightmares is seeing myself swallowed by my record collection... damn monster!!
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    I still buy it. I have downloaded in the past if I needed a single song...Nirvana's You Know You're Right is a perfect example. I don't even have a fileshare program on my pc anymore. I like the packaging and it feels more like mine if I buy it.
  • Options
    With the extremly easy access to music now, how many people actually buy it?

I know lots of people who have a huge unpaid for collection.

i buy a new cd a week, on the average

burnt cdrs of studio albums just don't cut it for me
  • Options
    yes i can see there are a few people who d/l stuff to hear it and get a feel for it, because tbh no one wants to buy a CD and find out theres one decent song on there, especially at the prices they charge!
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I buy more than I copy.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    I really make an effort to buy my music rather than burn or dl it, except in the case of trying to preview a potential CD purchase. And I like buying CDs MUCH more than buying off iTunes.
    Her?
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I prefer to buy. I like the actual cd and artwork, etc. that comes with it. Plus, I don't like to have to burn copies. I listen mostly in my car and the originals always sound better than burned ones. Also, I just like supporting the artist. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    EbizzieEbizzie Posts: 240
    I used to buy CDs rather often..probably got 700-800 CDs in my collection. But since becoming a family man here in the last few years, and the accompanying quest for responsible spending, I just have a tough time dropping $15 on a CD when I could be putting that in savings or toward something for the house or kids. So, I'm pretty much a strictly illegal downloading kinda fool. I'll buy ONLY those CDs released by my absolute favorite artists (PJ, Wilco, Radiohead, etc.).

I usually surf all the music blogs and find a ton of stuff that I would have never purchased, even back when I didn't mind spending money on CDs. If I can't find something that I want on a music blog then I'll use http://www.allofmp3.com to buy an album on the cheap (if you haven't been to this site, go NOW). Digital music has opened me up to lots of music that I would have never given a chance. Ya know, you hear some Death Cab so you download the album. Then you hear about Ben Gibbard's Postal Service, so you download that, which leads you to checking out some other shit.
    "Worse than traitors in arms are the men who pretend loyalty to the flag, feast and fatten on the misfortunes of the nation while patriotic blood is crimsoning the plains." -- Abraham Lincoln