Options

Does anyone actually buy music anymore?

Drifting AwayDrifting Away Posts: 270
edited April 2006 in Other Music
With the extremly easy access to music now, how many people actually buy it?

I know lots of people who have a huge unpaid for collection.
Run to the hills
run for your life
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i still buy music.......i just don't have time to listen to it.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,851
    I buy CDs all the time. I'm not against cyber-pikeys, sorry, downloaders, but I prefer to own the physical album.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    eddies grrleddies grrl Posts: 509
    i do. i like having the cd to hold & look at, the artwork, etc. i guess i'm a tactile sorta person. downloading only gets me so far. :)
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    if i only were filthy rich I'd be buying new Cd's all the time. :D but cause I'm not, I buy them whenever I can.
    so yes, people do still buy music.

I know a girl who actually dislikes CD's because they're so much "trouble" , she's too lazy to stand up and push play or change the CD. :eek:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    lol

if i had a million whatever. i would certainly go buy every cd i have ever wanted
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I buy cd's quite often.

I also get burned cd's from friends though. I don't download much illegal music but i do get a number of cd's from friends telling me oh you have to check out this band etc etc also i've asked some buddies to burn cd's to help complete my collection of some older artist....
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    murph83murph83 Posts: 122
    I always buy cds, i actually wish i didn't buy as much as i did, i have an addiction to music stores i think. I can't walk buy one without going in and buying something. I like having a real copy of a cd, it makes me appreciate it more and take care of it. If it is burning I just neglect it and it gets lost or damaged. Also, I am trying to build my cd collection, i'm currently around 200 original cds.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    I do... except for boots. I have to say, this downloading system I can't make work, so I have friends burning them for me (not too many... just four or five) and I give the price of the bootleg to charity.

*shrugs*
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Not nearly as much as I used to.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    i still buy it. when i was younger i used to buy everything that i liked. if i listened to a song anywhere i would go to the store and buy the cd but now i'm a little more 'picky'
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    still and will always buy cds.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    I still buy vinyl and cds. I don't own a computer. So that is that.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    cookie5798cookie5798 Posts: 396
    I buy all my music as the only computer I have access to is this one at work and I can't download!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    apparently i buy too much cause i got put on a three month ban that will end on april 25th. the ban also included books, which totally sucks.

but i do have to admit i broke the ban just once (last week or the week before), which is stellar performance by me.

so now it's 20 days and counting.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I buy a majority of my stuff through iTunes now. Easy to use...relatively cheap.

If I really like a band, I will make the effort to go out and buy the physical CD.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    There's nothing like the actual cd. I buy far too many. I love the whole package, artwork, booklet, etc. I collect vinyl too.

I have nothing against downloading as it's an easy way of trying out new music genres. If I like what I hear I usually go and buy it.

I do find it sad, in this age of downloads, that album artwork could one day be a thing of the past.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I donwload lots of albums, but I've probably bought 60 CDs so far this year. I too prefer to have the physical copy in my hand.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    I buy lots of cds still. Of course, I also download illegally to find what I like. I'm not going to pay to download one song to see if I like the band. I usually go to cdnow (amazon) and they let you preview 30 seconds of each song. You don't get the whole thing but usually a good enough feel of whether you'll enjoy a band or not.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I actually will buy CDs I've heard good things about or am curious about even if I haven't downloaded them already, so I guess I don't live hard and fast by the rule that I need to have heard it by downloading it first.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    I buy the albums, I read the liner notes, I read the acknolwedgments and thank yous. There are still a few of us out there.
    "Bombs dropping down. Please forgive our hometown"
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I will always buy music. I like going into shops and discovering good music. I do download songs off limewire but I don't download albums.
  • Options
    I download some songs, and when I have money, I buy it!

I love the Original Albums... the cover-art is nice! and the CD desing!

I want buy Led Zeppelin IV this month! :P
    "Who say the Rock has not future?"
  • Options
    MaartenMaarten Posts: 12
    I'm still buying records! (Every PJ record of course, for example)
    One of the goals in my life is owning évery Neil Young record he has ever recorded... Right now I have only 14 records so that's still a long way to go, but it's worth it!
    Make it pain-painfully quick
    Want to be enlightened like I wanna be told the end...
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I buy the records of bands I like. Most times if I've never heard something and I'm not too sure about it I will download it, then if I like it I will buy the record. No sense giving $20 to a band for a cd you hate. If anything all that downloading does is allows me to preview potential purchases.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    I still buy CD's because I refuse to pay good money for MP3's. I can make my own MP3's with CD's. Plus, I like the artwork whenever a band bothers to make it interesting :)
  • Options
    I will never stop buying cd's and vinyl, my girlfriend thinks I have an addiction, when i take the wrapping off a new disc the first thing I do is smell it, nothing like the smell of a new disc, does anybody else do this?
    "I'll be hanging upside down, and there I will swing, for all e.........tern.............ni..............ty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I legally download more than I do purchase the physical copy. Rarely is artwork that interesting to where I would look at it more than once.

besides, finding room to store CD's is becoming a pain in my ass.
  • Options
    obbleobble Posts: 49
    Remember than your computer will peter out and die one day, CD's will stay with you forever. I generally download songs that lead me into buying CD's.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: NZ Leg Chieftain & Member No.6-+--+

**Drop the Leash on my Garden Porch, Downunder 06'**
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,089
    Absolutely...love browsing at Newbury Comics, love having the actual cd and art, love the quality of sound vs my iPod.

As a matter of fact, today's run was:

Twilight Singers - "Blackberry Belle"
    Rainer Maria - "Catastrophe Keeps Us Together"
    Queensryche - "Operation: Mindcrime II"

I'm afraid to listen to O:M II...could wind up with some serious buyer's remorse.
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    I buy all my music. I buy cds all the time. I buy way to many actually. I hate having just a downloaded copy of an album.