Queens of the Stoneage - Era Valgaris ( im loving it)

Drifting AwayDrifting Away Posts: 270
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Gave it one listen loved it,has a similar vibe to Song for the Deaf,
Couldnt pick it up ealrier as i was poor long story now i have cash im getting CDS again
Got Korn unplugged, so dissapointed with it :(
But loving Era Valgaris, cant wait to listen again
Run to the hills
run for your life
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You need to look into the non-album tracks from those sessions. The Fun Machine Took A Shit And Died and Era Vulgaris are both stellar tracks. Would have taken them over crap like I'm Designer anyday.

Some interesting covers were also recorded as b-sides like White Wedding, Goin' Out West, and Christian Brothers. I wouldn't call them essential listening, but they are interesting to hear.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The Vacant wrote:
    You need to look into the non-album tracks from those sessions. The Fun Machine Took A Shit And Died and Era Vulgaris are both stellar tracks. Would have taken them over crap like I'm Designer anyday.

Some interesting covers were also recorded as b-sides like White Wedding, Goin' Out West, and Christian Brothers. I wouldn't call them essential listening, but they are interesting to hear.
    I like designer a lot :(

I do like FMTASAD a lot too though and Era Vulgaris.

I like this album. It has a very cool tone to it. Robot Rock :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Awesome, awesome album. (even "I'm Designer")
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Kickass album.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,224
    I like it, but I don't love it. I understand why he's gone, but the music definitely suffers without Nick. Like Lullabies To Paralyze, a few excellent songs and a bunch that are ok.
  • The Vacant wrote:
    Would have taken them over crap like I'm Designer anyday.

I'm Designer rules. Go home and jerk off.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    as a huge Elliott Smith fan, and a Queens of The Stone Age fan, I was pleasently surprised with the Christian Brothers cover.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Good album, but they've been steadily going downhill since the first album, which is a stone classic. It's funny how most people view it as an unimportant debut, like Bleach or Pablo Honey or something. Maybe if Dave Grohl played on it....
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    JWBusher wrote:
    Good album, but they've been steadily going downhill since the first album, which is a stone classic. It's funny how most people view it as an unimportant debut, like Bleach or Pablo Honey or something. Maybe if Dave Grohl played on it....
    I disagree I would rate them as follows
    Rated R
    Songs for the Deaf
    S/T
    Era Vulgaris
    Lullabies to Paralyze
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • One of the most underrated albums of the year. It truly rocks in every way. The only song that isn't that great is River In the Road.
  • Their first disc ownes. So damn heavy and in your face. Mexicola and You Can't Quit Me are probably my two favorite songs of theirs.
  • I find it to be unlistenable. Awful rubbish.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Much why I love Pearl Jam, every QOTSA album sounds unique to me. I'm sure the turnover of acual band members plays a part, but mostly it's a testiment to Josh Homme. He's the man. Saw them in Baltimore back in October and had a great time, but missed Lanegan. Wish they'd come back to D.C.!!!
    "If you love someone... set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck it up." - Ed
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    hmm

Josh should just reform Kyuss
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i love QOTSA but lately i've been really getting into their s/t record and the songs they had on splits around that time (split w/ Kyuss and split w/ Beaver). guess i like Josh's vocals more from back then.

Era Vulgaris is a good album, sorta weird though... like Rated R for me.

all the bsides are quality. "White Wedding" is killer. "Fun Machine" has that great line at the end: your 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag!!!
  • I thought Era Vulgaris was a pretty good disc. I like that it really does feel different than every Queens CD before it, much like all their other albums. Not spectacular but it had a fair share of solid songs that were pretty amazing live. Some of the highlights from that disc are Turnin' On The Screw, Misfit Love, 3s and 7s, Era Vulgaris, The Fun Machine Took A Shit! And Died, and Run Pig Run.

Rankings: Rated R, S/T, Songs For The Deaf, Era Vulgaris, Lullabies to Paralyze
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I am a bit baffled by the love for this one (see the best of 2007 poll). I love Queens of the Stone Age, and both of their previous releases were among the best releases in their respective years. Era Vulgaris, however, is falling horribly short for me. In fact, there really isn't one song on the album I love. I can't stand it.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I saw them live a couple months ago and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen, definatley the tightest live band I've seen, opened with regular john, and didn't play 1 song off rated R but it was still insane. The new record is awesome, not quite as good as the first 3, but definatley better than LTP, I hope they tour with PJ next year, as good as friend Josh and Ed are I could see it happening
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • boroff89 wrote:
    I am a bit baffled by the love for this one (see the best of 2007 poll). I love Queens of the Stone Age, and both of their previous releases were among the best releases in their respective years. Era Vulgaris, however, is falling horribly short for me. In fact, there really isn't one song on the album I love. I can't stand it.

Did you see them on tour at all? Misfit Love, Era Vulgaris, The Fun Machine Took A Shit And Died and Turnin' On The Screw were ace live. I enjoyed them much more recorded after that.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    gleemonex wrote:
    Did you see them on tour at all? Misfit Love, Era Vulgaris, The Fun Machine Took A Shit And Died and Turnin' On The Screw were ace live. I enjoyed them much more recorded after that.

When I've seen them live, they were terrible. They weren't tight at all. I did not see them on this tour, as my previous experiences with them have been not so good.

My favorite album of theirs continues to be Lullabies. But it looks like I am in the minority on this as well.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Nick needed to leave. He was turning into a dick and was too busy beating his wife. Unacceptable. Mike, their new bassist, is awesome.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Era is loads better than LTP, IMO.

Turning On The Screw is a fucking great opener.
  • I enjoyed Era Vulgaris immensely. The last time I checked my Itunes, that album had been listened to 32 times. I saw them in August on their Era Vulgaris tour, and the show was amazing(even rivaling the PJ shows I have been to). I have heard others give unfavorable criticism towards their shows in the past, but I think it has to do with the venue you're in. Most of the complaints I have heard came from patrons who saw them in Arenas, usually as an opener. I saw them in a club that fit 2,000. Some bands/shows are better in a club environment. But, that is just my opinion.
  • pr4mojo1pr4mojo1 Posts: 102
    I BrisK I wrote:
    hmm

Josh should just reform Kyuss

Best response ever!

But seriously since Josh "I constantly need a new band to keep it fresh" Homme fired Nick and Mark Lanegan it hasn't been the same. I liked Lullabies a lot but this album just plain sucks.

The first album is great, whoever brought that up.
    09/12/92-Irvine, 11/05/93-Indio, 06/24/95-San Fran, 11/06/95-SD, 11/07/95-SD, 7/13/98-LA, 07/14/98-LA, 10/25/00-SD, 10/28/00-Devore, 06/02/03-Irvine, 06/05/03-SD, 06/06/03-LV, 10/28/03-Santa Barbara, 09/02/05-Vancouver, 06/24/06-Cincy, 07/06/06-LV, 07/07/06-SD, 07/09/06-LA, 07/10/06-LA, 07/13/06-SB
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,224
    gleemonex wrote:

I saw them on this tour and, while they were still pretty good, it definitely didn't come close to when Nick was still around and Lanegan was coming out. Not sure about the show you saw, but that sick riff in Turnin On The Screw was buried in the mix and I thought the song came off flat (love it on the album). It was just a straight-ahead rock show and I guess I preferred it when they were a little more schizophrenic.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    When I've seen them live, they were terrible. They weren't tight at all. I did not see them on this tour, as my previous experiences with them have been not so good.

My favorite album of theirs continues to be Lullabies. But it looks like I am in the minority on this as well.

my fav is lullabies as well, i still listen to it heaps, its got some awesome songs on it, and mark lanegan, which is always a good thing...

still getting into era vulgaris (only given it a few listens)

one of my favourite bands at the moment...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
    self titled, qotsa/kyuss split, qotsa/beaver split is still the best era for me.

rated r is good but a little weird

songs for the deaf is quite awesome

lullibies to paralyze is quite awesome too

over the years and through the woods is good but too long.

era vulgaris is somewhere between rated r and songs for the deaf

oh yeah, what about the Stone Age Complication EP? anyone dig that?
  • self titled, qotsa/kyuss split, qotsa/beaver split is still the best era for me.

rated r is good but a little weird

songs for the deaf is quite awesome

lullibies to paralyze is quite awesome too

over the years and through the woods is good but too long.

era vulgaris is somewhere between rated r and songs for the deaf

oh yeah, what about the Stone Age Complication EP? anyone dig that?

S/T is the only disc of theirs that I can listen to from top to bottom on a regular basis. Still have to get the split EPs, but I love the reworked Born To Hula and The Bronze.

Rated R is alright. Lost Art, Headache, Fade, and especially Chemistry kick ass. The rest, not so much.

Songs For The Deaf is mad good. Evereytime I come back to that disc I find something new that kicks ass.

Lullabies only has a few tunes that really interest me: Wolf, Witch, Infinity, Precious, and the occasional Plaid and Goodbye. Would have made a great EP.

I felt the live album could have been more. Rather than a highlights disc and a full show DVD, I would have rather had a full show audio disc and a highlight's DVD. Make it a boxset with a full show on two discs, and then a live retrospective on the DVD. Less audience vids and more professional vids on the archival footage too.

Born To Hula and The Bronze kick ass, but the rest of the Complications EP seems forgettable.
    good luck finding those splits. i only have the Kyuss one which i paid $30 for (6 songs) and a friend of mine found the Beaver split (2 songs).

on the Beaver split:
    The Bronze
    These Aren't The Droids You're Looking For

on the Kyuss split:
    If Only Everything
    Born To Hula
    Spiders and Vinegaroons

Kyuss songs are: Into The Void (sabbath), Fatso Forgotso, Fatso Forgotso Phase II flipthephase
    does anyone have "Needles in the Camel's Eye" that was the bside to the Make It Wit Chu single? or know where i can find it?

edit: found it!