I really hate MTV

Comments

• so it's based off whether you've heard of a band or not that makes them produce "musical impact"???

cheers :)

a significant or major effect on popular music, would be to be the band that every 14 year old girl loves and that every 19 year old male hates. (thats where the whether or not you've heard of them part comes in)

it would to be able to wipe out the current popular genre of music and replace it with your own (nu-metal replaced with pop punk/emo bands)

it would be to bring about a bunch of copy cat bands that music execs sign onto their label because their A&R reps didn't find the "it" band first (thats where Panic! at the disco and every other band of the like comes in)

it would be to bring about a change in the style of fashion that the teenagers choose in order to fit in (hence the black rimmed glasses, dyed black hair and eyeliner).

with all that being said i'd say, like it or not and whether its deserving or not, Fallout Boy has had a pretty big impact in popular music.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • i agree with you, its just that some of us remember when mtv was actually kinda cutting edge and get this, PLAYED MUSIC (gasp) and it kinda bums us out.

when was MTV ever cutting edge?
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    so it's based off whether you've heard of a band or not that makes them produce "musical impact"???

hmm.

i don't think i need to link you to my band's page, my music collumns for the newspaper i work for, or offer snippets from my old indie music radio show -- i can see what type of "music" follower you are.

cheers :)

I wouldn't mind if you did to be honest. Also, what type of "music" follower am I. I genuinely want to know!
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Echoes wrote:
    I wouldn't mind if you did to be honest. Also, what type of "music" follower am I. I genuinely want to know!

so that when i do, the argument either ends with:

"well, everybody has the right to their own opinion, man"

or

"your band sucks"

or

"your articles suck"

or

"ok, you have credibility, now i accept your response"

...i could care less. i don't need to PROVE to some dude that i've never met that i know what i am talking about and i have credentials. if somebody like thurston moore, wayne kramer, or steve turner was giving me shit like you are, then i would take the time to show them i got a backbone of music. so anyway, it's been a whole lotta fun. i'll letcha get back to being the wonderful emo police officer that you are.
  • Echoes wrote:
    Also, what type of "music" follower am I. I genuinely want to know!

anybody that takes ANY of those bands in the article (excluding Nirvana) seriously, like as a real band, really doesn't know what's goin on in the world.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    ...i could care less. i don't need to PROVE to some dude that i've never met that i know what i am talking about and i have credentials. if somebody like thurston moore, wayne kramer, or steve turner was giving me shit like you are, then i would take the time to show them i got a backbone of music. so anyway, it's been a whole lotta fun. i'll letcha get back to being the wonderful emo police officer that you are.

man dogg I'm not looking for your credentials, I'm genuinely curious here. In any case, what do you consider a real band? If people playing musica nd recording CDs in a preset group of people aren't real band, then I am not sure what is!
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • This thread continues to amuse me.:)

To the person who said none of these artists have any musical credability, Chino Moreno has made some awesome music with The Deftones and Team Sleep, as have the guys from Mastodon, Fall Out Boy although an impact you may not like have had a large impact on the current music scene, sure you might not like it but it HAS happened, just the same as Panic at the Disco and most of the other artists in the write up.
    Just because you dont like a type of music or artist does not mean you can say they have had no impact on music and culture in general, I dont like Michael Jackson or Madonna it does'nt change the fact that they are two of the biggest selling and most influential music artists of all time.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • MTV is a great big bore. Beavis and Butthead should watch that channel I think they would really like it.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • You apparently haven't listened to In Utero or Nevermind if you think that.

Why?

I own both. Neither have been listened to in years. I prefer something a little challenging for my ears. Something with depth and texture that i can really sink my teeth into. These albums wash over me without envoking much feeling at all. Its just simple boring songs that do nothing for me
    www.myspace.com/dhmarks - Me

www.myspace.com/jackietreehornmusic - The Band
  • i guess i don't really have a clear, focused thesis on why this particular article got me all rattled up, i think i am just upset when good bands and pretend bands cross paths and the pretend bands are supposed to offer insight.
    If you don't like MTV, but you're mad about them running that article, I'd say you're just upset because the music you like isn't popular. That's not MTV's fault. They market to the majority of kids, and the majority of kids don't like grunge-type music.

If you hate MTV so much, then don't pay so much attention to it. There's no need for MTV anymore. The internet can provide everything you need to find music you like.

Also, you should remember that the whole reason grunge became mainstream is because there was a period right before it that was filled with bands like you're describing now. If I were you, and wanted my music to be popular again, I'd be excited right now, because it's highly likely that it will happen again.
  • Saturnal wrote:

If you hate MTV so much, then don't pay so much attention to it. There's no need for MTV anymore. The internet can provide everything you need to find music you like.

nah, way off man.

i couldn't be more happy that i get to see my favorite bands in the world in tiny clubs - and have the chance to shoot the shit with them after the show. i am glad they aren't popular.

i am was upset for kurt/nirvana. it's embarassing for them to have these penis boys talking about how important nirvana was and how much they inspired their own bands when the bands they are in are manufactured groups of hot topic models. it's a joke.

and i haven't watched mtv/been concerned with mtv for probably 8 or 9 years, but the news section carries stories that aren't mtv-based as well, which is a site i'll check every now and then. seeing nirvana in the title caught my eye.

and for the record, grunge never went mainstream, one grunge band went mainstream (nirvana)...only grunge bands i can think of besides nirvana are green river, the melvins, mudhoney (up to a certain point in time), tad and maybe skin yard. how many music videos did they have?

• and for the record, grunge never went mainstream, one grunge band went mainstream (nirvana)...only grunge bands i can think of besides nirvana are green river, the melvins, mudhoney (up to a certain point in time), tad and maybe skin yard. how many music videos did they have?

Soundgarden were part of the early Seattle scene back in 84 - 85 as were Screaming Trees, both original bands of the "grunge" scene.
  • Soundgarden were part of the early Seattle scene back in 84 - 85 as were Screaming Trees, both original bands of the "grunge" scene.

screaming trees was NOT grunge. i own everything they've ever done and nowhere on any of the albums is a "grunge" song. i'll give you soundgarden, but they were a little closer to metal in their early days (84-87).

grunge is like the term "classic rock." it's not really a genre. it was a goofy slang word that turned into a marketing wet dream.
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    when was MTV ever cutting edge?
    noone ever thought about music videos before mtv
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • MTV is still on the airwaves?

I hadn't noticed...

... or gave a damn.
  • Unfortunately, Mookie, yes it is.

I hate it too. It was so much better in the early-mid 1990s when actual MUSIC was on there and not the pop, rap, and emo shit we see now.

MTV didn't even recognize it's 25th birthday. What does that fuckin tell ya?
    "And all the thoughts that spin...'round my head... I'm spinning... I'm spinning...how quick the sun can drop away"

"Don't it always seem to go... you don't know what you've got till its gone...they paved paradise...and put up a parking lot..."

".... Your dreams.......I see......................"
  • noone ever thought about music videos before mtv
    bob dylan - subterranean (sp??) homesick blues
  • screaming trees was NOT grunge. i own everything they've ever done and nowhere on any of the albums is a "grunge" song. i'll give you soundgarden, but they were a little closer to metal in their early days (84-87).

grunge is like the term "classic rock." it's not really a genre. it was a goofy slang word that turned into a marketing wet dream.

Hence why I put the G word in "" I've never liked the term, but Screaming Trees were as big of a part of the early Seattle scene as any of the bands you mentioned.
    They were one of the first bands to get a release their debut EP came out about a week or two after the first "grunge" single Swallow My Pride by Green River.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    noone ever thought about music videos before mtv

this is the funniest comment ever. and maybe the most ill informed. or the most naive. i haven't decided yet.
    but perhaps in your defense you are both too angry and too young to have noticed anything before MTV. i am old enough to remember life before MTV.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Hence why I put the G word in "" I've never liked the term, but Screaming Trees were as big of a part of the early Seattle scene as any of the bands you mentioned.
    They were one of the first bands to get a release their debut EP came out about a week or two after the first "grunge" single Swallow My Pride by Green River.

you're using "seattle scene" and "grunge" interchangeably which isn't really correct. that's what's throwin me off. yes, the screaming trees were a big band in the scene in the mid 80s, but they were not one of the first grunge bands.

how awesome is their "buzz factory" compilation!? gets me pumped up just thinkin about it.
  • ok think about this for a minute... pop(ular) music is for the masses. have you met them? i don't want to share musical interests with them, they're dumb
  • you're using "seattle scene" and "grunge" interchangeably which isn't really correct. that's what's throwin me off. yes, the screaming trees were a big band in the scene in the mid 80s, but they were not one of the first grunge bands.

how awesome is their "buzz factory" compilation!? gets me pumped up just thinkin about it.

get off the grunge pride high horse, when it comes to pop culture the Seattle Scene and Grunge scene will always be interchangeable and mixed. Pearl Jam, sound garden alice in chains, screaming trees, grunt truck, mud honey, green river, u-men, flop...all grunge

grunge was just the term coined for bands who either came out of seattle, or had the "seattle scene" sound.
  • get off the grunge pride high horse, when it comes to pop culture the Seattle Scene and Grunge scene will always be interchangeable and mixed. Pearl Jam, sound garden alice in chains, screaming trees, grunt truck, mud honey, green river, u-men, flop...all grunge

grunge was just the term coined for bands who either came out of seattle, or had the "seattle scene" sound.

ugh, agree to disagree.

i can't sit well with alice in chains and pearl jam being called grunge. i'm sorry, that's like calling the white stripes "classic rock." there was a great interview with L-7 talking about bands like seaweed and gas huffer who were nothing along the lines of what was being called grunge, but because they were from seattle in the early 90s, they got placed in the grunge category. and i heard gas huffer got pissed cause record shops weren't putting them in the punk sections! but again, this isn't really a vital argument.

by the way, i've never heard of grunt truck...what's their story?
  • ugh, agree to disagree.

i can't sit well with alice in chains and pearl jam being called grunge. i'm sorry, that's like calling the white stripes "classic rock." there was a great interview with L-7 talking about bands like seaweed and gas huffer who were nothing along the lines of what was being called grunge, but because they were from seattle in the early 90s, they got placed in the grunge category. and i heard gas huffer got pissed cause record shops weren't putting them in the punk sections! but again, this isn't really a vital argument.

by the way, i've never heard of grunt truck...what's their story?

Jack Endino produced, Seattle band. basically when Alice in Chains made it big all the anti-mainstream fans still had gruntruck to rely on to be their favorite unknown hard rock/metal/grunge band.
    this is the funniest comment ever. and maybe the most ill informed. or the most naive. i haven't decided yet.
    but perhaps in your defense you are both too angry and too young to have noticed anything before MTV. i am old enough to remember life before MTV.
    maybe i should clarify that im well aware there was music videos before mtv, but they were nowhere near as big a deal as they were after mtv, and most were just concert footage. is that better cate, or still too naive and uninformed for such a scholar as yourself?

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

maybe i should clarify that im well aware there was music videos before mtv, but they were nowhere near as big a deal as they were after mtv, and most were just concert footage. is that better cate, or still too naive and uninformed for such a scholar as yourself?

hey. you were the one that made the original statement not me.
    and i don't pretend to be a scholar but what you posted was done without much thought as far as i could see. no need to jump on my head cause you made the mistake. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    I don't think the problem lies with MTV. There's been great rock bands after 1994. The Foo Fighters, White Stripes, and Strokes pop to mind. I think its more along the lines that the bands of the early 90's stretched the genre and perfected it to such great extents nothing in a long, long time will sound fresh in reguards to root rock. List the bands:
    (1) of course...Pearl Jam
    (2) Nirvana
    (3) Radiohead
    (4) Smashing Pumpkins
    (5) Soundgarden
    (6) Pavement (not Weezer...fuckers)
    (7) Green Day
    (8) Stone Temple Pilots (post Core)
    (9) Fugazi
    (10) Red Hot Chili Peppers
    How can you go in a new direction without being compared to these bands? Nu Metal fell flat. 80's new wave is the only sound in these horrible bands heads where they believe they can have any trace of originality in the heads of their fans. Solution, wait for it to comeback full circle, when the listed bands are out of everyone's system. Of course by then you'll be listening to classical music. Don't worry, so will I!
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
    hey. you were the one that made the original statement not me.
    and i don't pretend to be a scholar but what you posted was done without much thought as far as i could see. no need to jump on my head cause you made the mistake. :)
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/generalization

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I never watch MTV. I just don't give a damm what they are broadcasting. I also never read things about music i don't want to see bands being hyped....
    I didn't know billy talent for example when i bought the album i think if i had seen them on tv i wouldn't have buy it
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.