I really hate MTV

chrisopaloozachrisopalooza Posts: 347
edited September 2006 in Other Music
it's a given nowadays, i know. but after reading this article on Nevermind's 15-year anniversary http://www.mtv.com/bands/n/nirvana/news_feature_091806/
i want to capture the stingray that killed poor steve irwin and use it on all the pussy, manufactured trash bands that clog FM radio and strut on MTV.

if you think about it, there hasn't been a good "popular"/"commercial" band that has started after 1994. there have been a truck full of great and amazing bands that have started past '94, but none of them want to be popular/choose to be popular, and i can clearly see why now.

look what happened to nirvana. what an amazing fucking band. they don't deserve to be talked about by talentless butt boys like all the douche bags featured in this article.

fallout boy, disturbed, panic at the disco, the killers, jet...these aren't bands, they're fashion toys. it makes me sick to my stomach.

i guess i don't really have a clear, focused thesis on why this particular article got me all rattled up, i think i am just upset when good bands and pretend bands cross paths and the pretend bands are supposed to offer insight.

ugh.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• it's a given nowadays, i know. but after reading this article on Nevermind's 15-year anniversary http://www.mtv.com/bands/n/nirvana/news_feature_091806/
    i want to capture the stingray that killed poor steve irwin and use it on all the pussy, manufactured trash bands that clog FM radio and strut on MTV.

if you think about it, there hasn't been a good "popular"/"commercial" band that has started after 1994. there have been a truck full of great and amazing bands that have started past '94, but none of them want to be popular/choose to be popular, and i can clearly see why now.

look what happened to nirvana. what an amazing fucking band. they don't deserve to be talked about by talentless butt boys like all the douche bags featured in this article.

fallout boy, disturbed, panic at the disco, the killers, jet...these aren't bands, they're fashion toys. it makes me sick to my stomach.

i guess i don't really have a clear, focused thesis on why this particular article got me all rattled up, i think i am just upset when good bands and pretend bands cross paths and the pretend bands are supposed to offer insight.

ugh.

Thats life for you, even arseholes have opinions.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • what else is new dude.
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279

what gives you any more right to talk about them?
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Echoes wrote:
    what gives you any more right to talk about them?

i'll take the arrogant yet sensible route on this one...fallout butt and panic at the shithole, are you serious? the fact that we are having this conversation on a pearl jam message board means that both of us have at least an ounce of good taste. but i mean, if you are defending manufactured bands, and saying that i, somebody who's music collection is a little more serious than "revalations" and "stadium arcadium", don't have the right to badmouth bands that think their shit stain of a presence stands toe to toe with nirvana...dude, you're in the wrong place. or maybe i am.
  • mark arm wrote:
    what else is new dude.

check out my first sentence. but i can't get frustrated with somebody who's got the best screen name on here. rock on.
    i'll take the arrogant yet sensible route on this one...fallout butt and panic at the shithole, are you serious? the fact that we are having this conversation on a pearl jam message board means that both of us have at least an ounce of good taste. but i mean, if you are defending manufactured bands, and saying that i, somebody who's music collection is a little more serious than "revalations" and "stadium arcadium", don't have the right to badmouth bands that think their shit stain of a presence stands toe to toe with nirvana...dude, you're in the wrong place. or maybe i am.

I'm saying that you are saying they don't have the right to talk about Nirvana because they are in shitty bands. I'm saying you've had even less of a musical impact, and therefore you have even less right to talk about nirvana then they do, by your own accord
  • This thread is becoming hillarious.
    I also found Chino Moreno's comments towards the end quite funny.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • yawn

i was beginning to think the article had some credit, then i saw who the opinions were from. Fallout boy? Panic at the Disco? A7X? nothing to worry about!
  • i do think the killers are pretty good. can't really tell if they're my guilty pleasure or if they have some talent. the others though - won't be around in a couple years. lets hope they're investing ;)
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    You guys are still watching MTV? Why? Most of it = reality shows or maybe mainstream-artists promotion, there is almost no music nor music promotion around that network anymore.

I think its days are numbered, mainly because nowdays we have 'my space' & 'you-tube' - Everyone can make a video and upload it to the net, everyone can make a song/record and do the same. MTV in its current state is becoming more useless eveyday.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    They're talking about Nirvana cos that's all they deserved. Any artist with any credibility and talent wouldn't have influenced such 'shit' bands.

Sorry, I should rephrase that... I meant Kurt Cobain. Nirvana were ok... Kurt Cobain got famous moaning about how he didn't want to be famous then killing himself... fucked if you think I'm going to accept he was the 'most influential artist' of the 90's, best guitar player, best singer etc...

The point is these bands are owned by MTV. The same MTV that tells us that Kurt was so fuckin' great. If they went against their own then the bosses wouldn't be happy.

And I don't like Metallica either... oh noooo's!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
    man I hate to defend nirvana ever buy your argument is retarded
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    MTV is targeted towards 14 year old girls. Seriously, that is their target audience. Have you overheard any conversations of 14 year old girls? End of discussion.
  • gabers wrote:
    MTV is targeted towards 14 year old girls. Seriously, that is their target audience. Have you overheard any conversations of 14 year old girls? End of discussion.

well-put. that's why it's frustrating to watch for us.

i do think that sometime after cobain/pearl jam is when this station went downhill. limp bizkit might have been the start or maybe the huuuuge influx of terrible hip-hop. if you watch any of those music video channels with old-school rap...that music was good in it's own right. and had meaning and purpose behind the rhymes/rhythm. now...sheeesh!
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • I hate MTV too. So i dont watch it, dont talk about it, dont listen to the bands it promotes. I suggest you do the same. It works for me, but then again i think Nirvana are shit so what do i know??
    www.myspace.com/dhmarks - Me

www.myspace.com/jackietreehornmusic - The Band
  • MTV killed Kurt Cobain. (not physically)

They should be prevented from making more money off of Nirvana.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I hate MTV too. So i dont watch it, dont talk about it, dont listen to the bands it promotes. I suggest you do the same. It works for me, but then again i think Nirvana are shit so what do i know??
    You apparently haven't listened to In Utero or Nevermind if you think that.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    You apparently haven't listened to In Utero or Nevermind if you think that.

I have and I think that
  • Echoes wrote:
    I'm saying that you are saying they don't have the right to talk about Nirvana because they are in shitty bands. I'm saying you've had even less of a musical impact, and therefore you have even less right to talk about nirvana then they do, by your own accord

oh. ok. some dude i dont even know telling me via pearl jam message board is telling me i dont have as much of a right to talk about nirvana as the little fairy bands. i think i am gonna put my tail between my legs and walk home.

define musical impact for me...

you think fallout balls has a musical impact?

i have more musical impact in my peub hairs than any of those bands from the article have combined. i think toddlers who have never seen a musical instrument in their lives have more of an impact too.

:)
  • Echoes wrote:
    I have and I think that

Oh. Well....
    "Should I tell you my room is walled up? In what way might I leave it? Here is how; Goodwill knows no obstacle. Nothing can stand before a deep desire. All I have to do is imagine a door." -Schultz

Trading stories with the leaves instead
    name one song that you recorded

Like it or not, those bands you claim to have more musical impact whatever than you do (unless of course, you have a pen name and have been releasing records I haven't heard of). Musical impact is how much influence they exert, how popular they are in their day and age's popular culture (evidently quite a bit, since they got you posting about them, and you aren't even one of their fans!).

I mean you might not enjoy their music (and nor do I), but these guys are more significantly musically than you are, so far (gotta leave the future open).
    Toolgarden wrote:
    Oh. Well....

no accounting for taste, eh?
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    Zzzzzzzzz...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
    by the way, isn't the guy from Disturbed, on the last photo of the article, looking just like a chubby version from the "Deal or no Deal' guy?

inappropriate post.

• Echoes wrote:
    no accounting for taste, eh?

Very true. Very true.

However, you of all people should realize that just because an artist isn't recognized by the media or public at large, doesn't mean they don't have a valid claim to an educated opinion or talent beyond the scope of the "average" listener. By stating that you have never heard of a person or their accomplishments, and because you have never heard of them they are somehow less competent than say, FallOut Boy, you are betraying a certain amount of hypocrisy that I don't think you realize or intend.
    "Should I tell you my room is walled up? In what way might I leave it? Here is how; Goodwill knows no obstacle. Nothing can stand before a deep desire. All I have to do is imagine a door." -Schultz

Trading stories with the leaves instead
  • Echoes wrote:
    name one song that you recorded

Like it or not, those bands you claim to have more musical impact whatever than you do (unless of course, you have a pen name and have been releasing records I haven't heard of). Musical impact is how much influence they exert, how popular they are in their day and age's popular culture (evidently quite a bit, since they got you posting about them, and you aren't even one of their fans!).

I mean you might not enjoy their music (and nor do I), but these guys are more significantly musically than you are, so far (gotta leave the future open).

so it's based off whether you've heard of a band or not that makes them produce "musical impact"???

hmm.

i don't think i need to link you to my band's page, my music collumns for the newspaper i work for, or offer snippets from my old indie music radio show -- i can see what type of "music" follower you are.

cheers :)
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    i don't think the killers should be lumped in with all those other bands. they're not the greatest, but they're not bogus.
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    can we get that stingray to stng all these people on these reality shows that are the real thng that destroyed mtv
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    shiraz wrote:
    You guys are still watching MTV? Why? Most of it = reality shows or maybe mainstream-artists promotion, there is almost no music nor music promotion around that network anymore.

I think its days are numbered, mainly because nowdays we have 'my space' & 'you-tube' - Everyone can make a video and upload it to the net, everyone can make a song/record and do the same. MTV in its current state is becoming more useless eveyday.
    i agree with you, its just that some of us remember when mtv was actually kinda cutting edge and get this, PLAYED MUSIC (gasp) and it kinda bums us out.
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
    mtv makes me wanna smoke crack.

inappropriate post.