What/Who got you into music?

2»

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    as best as i can remember, i was 9 years old. my eldest sister had explosive hits '74. and that was the end of my innocence. after that i 'borrowed' everything my two older sisters listened to. i'd also listen to my da's movie themes and basically anything else i could get my hands on. much later a boy got me into led zeppelin(go figure) ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • My brother bought me my first CD player because he wanted me to be a music fan, like him. It obviously worked because now I love music and I love it more than him.

Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, maybe FNM, were my first three bands that I ever really loved to start off with.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    My father and his Sound System that traveled the island of Jamaica. He toured and played social events all over the island. From the early sounds of the Wailers in the 60' then the 70's when reggae started to kick into gear.

Music hit me but how I got into my youthful love of rock then hard rock then heavy metal I'll never know. However, one thing I could possibly turn to is the RIFFS, heavier the better and rock music provides that genre of music for me.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Started listening to Snoop, Dre, and Warren G when they were at the height of their popularity. Then Nirvana, Weezer, Green Day, Offspring, Smashing Pumpkins, and Oasis got me listening to rock soon after.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Started listening to Snoop, Dre, and Warren G when they were at the height of their popularity. Then Nirvana, Weezer, Green Day, Offspring, Smashing Pumpkins, and Oasis got me listening to rock soon after.

I'd have to say that I'm pretty much the exact same except for Oasis and Weezer. throw in my dad's CCR and the Beatles vinyls and that's how I got into music. I knew Offspring and Nirvana before I knew Pearl Jam. they were like the salad you eat before they bring out your lobster (or something like that)

Welcome to the 1994 HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    The first album I ever bought was Michael Jackson's Thriller. From there I got into Aerosmith, AC/DC, and Guns N' Fucking Roses. After that I was heavy into NWA, Ice T, and Public Enemy.
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    For me, also Blondie Parallel Lines and Pink Floyd the Wall
    Debbie Harry will always rule

then went into my "pretty in pink" faze
    loved all those bands (pyschedelic furs, cure, the smiths, and every other band lir (long island radio station) got me into

nothing compared to my musical epiphany Pearl Jam wrought

pretty funny how i never understood seeing same artist more then once(lifetime not per tour), now i'm following them around and planning vacations around tours as much as i can
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    how far do you go back???

first song i remember LOVING was toto - africa, when i was 5!

first tape i ever bought was M.Jackson - bad, we were dating at the time.

first cd was def leppard hysteria.

then i lost things a wee bit....there was some bros, new kids, it was a confusing time, my sister saved me with the joshua tree.

then me & music kind of lost ways, good thing too the way it was heading! my re-introduction was sealed & passion cemented with the release of the use your illusion albums. with ten just around the corner & the industry about to embark on a scene that defined my tastes for life, the rest they say is history :)

then just as things were getting stale in the rock scene i began working in a record store which opened my ears to so many things that i wouldn't normally have crossed paths with. there is so much good music out there, it's just a shame it's burried under so much shit.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    The Beatles. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    itsevobaby wrote:
    how far do you go back???

first song i remember LOVING was toto - africa, when i was 5!

first tape i ever bought was M.Jackson - bad, we were dating at the time.

first cd was def leppard hysteria.

then i lost things a wee bit....there was some bros, new kids, it was a confusing time, my sister saved me with the joshua tree.

then me & music kind of lost ways, good thing too the way it was heading! my re-introduction was sealed & passion cemented with the release of the use your illusion albums. with ten just around the corner & the industry about to embark on a scene that defined my tastes for life, the rest they say is history :)

then just as things were getting stale in the rock scene i began working in a record store which opened my ears to so many things that i wouldn't normally have crossed paths with. there is so much good music out there, it's just a shame it's burried under so much shit.

what can i say, i can superior taste when i was 8

but i also loved meat loaf (still a guilty pleasure) so maybe not
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
    I'd have to say that I'm pretty much the exact same except for Oasis and Weezer. throw in my dad's CCR and the Beatles vinyls and that's how I got into music. I knew Offspring and Nirvana before I knew Pearl Jam. they were like the salad you eat before they bring out your lobster (or something like that)

Welcome to the 1994 HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

No way, I will forever remember that line, havent even listened to that record for years.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

By the way, it feels damn good to be able to say that I listened to great music as a kid and most of it is still my favorite music today. Kids nowadays are gonna have to fess up to listening to horseshit like Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Nickelback, High School Musical, Hilary Duff, etc. etc. I get to say that my first tape was Weezer and my first cd was Smashing Pumpkins.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Ten when i was in 7th grade. Then i stopped "listening" to music for a while, especially after i lost Ten. Then i bought Rearviewmirror when i was a junior in college on a wimb ("hey, i used to listen to these guys" was probably my exact thought) when i walked into the neighborhood record store. Thought the rest of the songs (non-ten songs i never heard before) sounded great (lyrically as well as instrumentally). I was sold.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    My parents... i grew up around a lot of music. (good music too)
    My older cousins helped shift it slightly when they introduced me to Pearl jam in 1992. (still clear as day in my mind actually)
    Damn I miss those cousins :(
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • My mom. I grew up in West Texas, but my mom listened to good rock music (led zep, neil young, heart, pink floyd, aerosmith, ect) I feel so blessed. Most all my friends grew listening to country and know every classic country song and singer, but that stuff is 90% lame then and now. I am so thankfull, Love you Mom.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    I'd have to say it was my older brother who got me into music. I still remember rocking out in his room listening to The Beastie Boys: Licensed to Ill album. He was also into Metallica a lot. So I heard that growing up as well.

Also during the summer's when growing up my family shared a cabin with some family friends, and so I got exposed to music that way as well. Most of the Seattle sound and all that.

I still remember my brother for my b-day one year buying me the Smashing Pumpkins: Siamese Dream, and Soundgarden: SuperUknown on cassette tape. Yup thats right, on cassette tape!

Also Green Day: Dookie was the first CD I ever owned, and Bush: Sixteen Stone was the second. I also know that Vitalogy was one of the first CDs I ever bought myself, the others were gifts.

I do know I never really got into Nirvana until AFTER Kurt died, and with Pearl Jam I always liked them, and half the time I hear Oceans I still think of playing Super Mario World at the cabin in the summer of '92. And on rare occasions when I hear Black, I remember how back in the day I thought it was weird that some dude would paint all the pictures black! Hehe, I didn't quite understand that one at the time!
  • Recently I started listening to the Offspring for the first time since in a couple of years and found I still really enjoy them. I realised that the band, and in particular the Americana album, are responsible for my interest in listening to and playing rock music. I think that through this I opened my mind to many other types of music and musicians which I previously would have discounted and never listened to.
    The Offspring was where it all started for me - A couple of catchy songs (which in hindsight I consider to be among their worst) led me to buy an album which was far heavier (to my virgin ears) than I ever expected. But I loved it. Through that, I began exploring too many different bands to mention. And since then I've been on a never ending journey of musical discovery. It also made me pick up the guitar which ended up shaping my youth in a drastically different way.
    So here I am 9 years later, a complete music fanatic and absolutely loving it.
    So where did it start for you?

p.s.: The Offspring Rock! :D

it was the americana album for me as well...i think i was 12...some songs on it are really stupid...but better you get into rock music by teeny pop punk or nu (!) metal than not at all...

and the earlier offspring stuff is really good...the debut is one of my all time favs...listen to crossroads!

two years later i found out what rock music really is about...came across nirvana and pearl jam ;)
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Neil Diamond - Hot August Night

Leave me alone, I'm fucking old alrihgt, or I'll get dunks to hunt you !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Neil Diamond - Hot August Night

Leave me alone, I'm fucking old alrihgt, or I'll get dunks to hunt you !!
    Nooo! He'll wear his kilt again :(
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    I wish i had a cool story to tell about how my parents listened to great records but i don't. I grew up listening to really awful music from mariah carey and whitney houston to my early teens to bad pop-rock stuff like the calling, creed, 3 doors down.

At some point i heard incubus and coldplay on mainstream radio as you do, and i picked up morning view, and a rush of blood and that led me to everything else. It just was like one artists led to another, and it continues that way. It can be good in many ways though that i never grew up around good music, always great artists to find, i only recently discovered artists like neil young, tom petty etc.