What/Who got you into music?

Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Recently I started listening to the Offspring for the first time since in a couple of years and found I still really enjoy them. I realised that the band, and in particular the Americana album, are responsible for my interest in listening to and playing rock music. I think that through this I opened my mind to many other types of music and musicians which I previously would have discounted and never listened to.
The Offspring was where it all started for me - A couple of catchy songs (which in hindsight I consider to be among their worst) led me to buy an album which was far heavier (to my virgin ears) than I ever expected. But I loved it. Through that, I began exploring too many different bands to mention. And since then I've been on a never ending journey of musical discovery. It also made me pick up the guitar which ended up shaping my youth in a drastically different way.
So here I am 9 years later, a complete music fanatic and absolutely loving it.
So where did it start for you?

p.s.: The Offspring Rock! :D
I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    The Stone Roses.

i need not expand on that.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Surprise, surprise...it was Pearl Jam for me. When I saw the Alive and Even Flow videos back in 7th grade, I really started getting interested in music. Pearl Jam is pretty much responsible for that. In 2001, Tool took that interest to a much deeper and higher level. In 2004, Nine Inch Nails really taught me WHY I developed such an interest in music and art in general.

So those 3 and counting..
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    I think Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory was the first album I loved but it was after I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit on the radio and I bought Nevermind that I really got into music.After reading up about grunge I got Ten a few months later so Pearl Jam were the band that really got me passionate about music I guess.Smashing Pumpkins and Jimmy Eat World were other important bands but Nirvana and PJ will always be the most special for me.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    Recently I started listening to the Offspring for the first time since in a couple of years and found I still really enjoy them. I realised that the band, and in particular the Americana album, are responsible for my interest in listening to and playing rock music. I think that through this I opened my mind to many other types of music and musicians which I previously would have discounted and never listened to.
    The Offspring was where it all started for me - A couple of catchy songs (which in hindsight I consider to be among their worst) led me to buy an album which was far heavier (to my virgin ears) than I ever expected. But I loved it. Through that, I began exploring too many different bands to mention. And since then I've been on a never ending journey of musical discovery. It also made me pick up the guitar which ended up shaping my youth in a drastically different way.

When I was a little kid (early elementary school, that is!) R.E.M. got me started down the right path. I loved them. I have an older sister who started college in 1983, and I was lucky that she was listening to the good stuff from the 80s. :D As I got a little older, I begrudgingly listened to the garbage that was on top 40 radio at the time. Ah...the things we do to fit in. ;)

Then, when I was 14, I started listening to "alternative" bands...and actually, The Offspring's Smash was one of the first records I bought. Then I got really heavily into Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins and then I got Vitalogy a few months later and it was all over. :D

Not a big Offspring fan, but I have to give them at least a little credit for helping me get off of the Mariah Carey track. :D
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Metallica. I think. or some other band me dad used to listen to a lot. :D

I can't remember what was my first ever album though. it was either Hanson or HIM. :o
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • geishagrrlgeishagrrl Posts: 130
    My mother is the reason that I began to love music. As a young child she would play Simon and Garfunkel, Joan Baez, Jim Croce, Fleetwood Mac, and even Barry Manilow. She would buy us things like Alvin and the Chipmunks records but my favorite was a record of children performing various famous songs. My favorite was a cover of the Buggle's Video Killed the Radio Star, which was a pretty recent song at the time. I'd say my Fischer Price record player was the "toy" I liked best. Later, I would record my favorite songs off the radio when I was to young to afford to buy my own music. The first album I ever bought was a cassete version of Madonna's Like a Virgin. From that point on, I saved all my allowence to buy music.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761

I will say The Offspring too. Their "Ignition" album was always getting spun when I was in high school enen though "Smash" had been out for a while.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Good thread :)

I'd say I ultimately have my parents to thank for getting me into music. They must have 200albums and mostly by people like Lightfoot, Anka, Sinatra, Presley, Patsy Cline, Glen Campbell etc...so music was always around.

While that genre of music music did not totally rub off on me what did was my love for vinyl. 45 singles were a big hit when I was growing up...a time when AM radio ruled the airwaves. It progressed quite naturally from 45's to albums...I remember my first stereo, with speakers that weren't attached to the console...I was in heaven!

After all that, buying nice stereos/record players/cassette decks was my new heroin...along with albums/music, by my faves.

You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    It's kind of embarrassing, but my first "favorite band" was Bon Jovi, back in 8th or 9th grade. Yeah, yeah, I know. Anyway, from there I got into Guns N' Roses (who I still think are awesome), and then one day I pretty much randomly bought PJ's Rearviewmirror hits album. PJ took me from occasionally listening to a catchy song or two, to having music become one of the biggest driving forces in my life.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    My parents. One of my earliest memories is of me sitting on my parents bed with huge headphones (at least they were huge to me back then) listening to some Led Zepp on vinyl.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    I've always loved music of any kind. I would have to say that my parents are the main reason I'm a music fan. My mom is a musician and a music teacher, so the influence from her is obvious. She got me into classical music and also introduced me to folk rock like Peter Paul and Mary, James Taylor, etc. My dad always had music on whenever he was driving - mainly the oldies station. He liked the oldies rock and roll, but his favorite was more what's considered classic rock. He liked bands like Led Zeppelin, the Who, CCR, Bob Dylan, and other similar type bands. That gave me a pretty solid appreciation and enjoyment of music and allowed me to explore what styles and genres I really liked. After listening to Pearl Jam and hearing the other Seattle bands, the rest, as they say, is history.
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    Motley Crue's "Dr Feelgood" album, and G n R's "Appetite for Destruction" were both handed to me by my sister on cassette because "they sucked" according to her....i've been rockin ever since!
    "It's all happening"
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Music had always been a huge part of my families life.My dad loved traditional Scottish music,not the shortbread tin variety but proper traditional.A bunch of Scottish folk singers with their bohrains etc.My mum was in her late teens in the fifties so was into Buddy Holly et all but also alot of bluegrass and folk music.My brother was probably my biggest influence of what I would listen to.He was a teenager in the 70's and I was born in 69.I have very clear memories of hearing Led Zeppelin,Hendrix,Floyd,Dylan,who mum was also into,lots of blues and 70's rock from a very young age and crying everytime my brother left to go to concerts because I wanted to go with him.He used to take me into town with all his mates and we'd trawl record stores for hours.I can still remember the smells and rows of vinyl everywhere when we used to go into Phoenix record store.My brother was a drummer in a band too and they practiced and stored all their gear in the spare room of our house.My brother showed me how to play drums from when I was about three and I was always fully encouraged to try instruments.Its a strong Scottish tradition that at any parties/family get togethers everyone has to do a "turn".I used to get put up on a table and would need to sing.I used to sing Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way or The Carter Family's Wildwood Flower,my mum used to sing it to me.
    My first influence of my own choice was seeing Blondie on top of the pops and I was hooked.I asked for Parallel Lines for my 9th Birthday and when my brother got me it I thought I would never get a better present than that.I remained completely obsessed by Debbie Harry for years.
    I then won a competition when I was 10 to name all the original members of Pink Floyd,my brother had a poster on his wall from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn album and it stated the band members,I copied these names and won a copy of The Wall.That was me hooked on Floyd,still am and was probably traumatised for life listening to The Wall at 10!
    I eventually replaced my Blondie obsession with Rush and from then it was a no u turn street.
    I am an utter music obsessive and retain the most mundane info about bands in my head like its a computer.
    I went to my first concert at 13 and am still going to them,raking up thousands by now.I have a vinyl and cd collection that took over our house years ago.Current count in the 2500-3000 range.
    Over the years certain bands have held special obsessive value to me,Rush,Hendrix,Pearl Jam,R.E.M,U2,Beck,White Stripes,Floyd,Tool and Pumpkins to name few.
    My biggest influence?My wonderful brother,and now I even influence him,got him into Pearl Jam and Live.
    Great thread,thanks.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    dunkman wrote:
    The Stone Roses.

i need not expand on that.

I see you and raise you there man.I feel totally alive when I hear The Stone Roses.Never a bad musical move did those guys make,iconic of what Britain was from the late 80's and beyond.Good call man.Did you ever see them live?I was never that lucky.
    Music had always been a huge part of my families life.My dad loved traditional Scottish music,not the shortbread tin variety but proper traditional.A bunch of Scottish folk singers with their bohrains etc.My mum was in her late teens in the fifties so was into Buddy Holly et all but also alot of bluegrass and folk music.My brother was probably my biggest influence of what I would listen to.He was a teenager in the 70's and I was born in 69.I have very clear memories of hearing Led Zeppelin,Hendrix,Floyd,Dylan,who mum was also into,lots of blues and 70's rock from a very young age and crying everytime my brother left to go to concerts because I wanted to go with him.He used to take me into town with all his mates and we'd trawl record stores for hours.I can still remember the smells and rows of vinyl everywhere when we used to go into Phoenix record store.My brother was a drummer in a band too and they practiced and stored all their gear in the spare room of our house.My brother showed me how to play drums from when I was about three and I was always fully encouraged to try instruments.Its a strong Scottish tradition that at any parties/family get togethers everyone has to do a "turn".I used to get put up on a table and would need to sing.I used to sing Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way or The Carter Family's Wildwood Flower,my mum used to sing it to me.
    My first influence of my own choice was seeing Blondie on top of the pops and I was hooked.I asked for Parallel Lines for my 9th Birthday and when my brother got me it I thought I would never get a better present than that.I remained completely obsessed by Debbie Harry for years.
    I then won a competition when I was 10 to name all the original members of Pink Floyd,my brother had a poster on his wall from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn album and it stated the band members,I copied these names and won a copy of The Wall.That was me hooked on Floyd,still am and was probably traumatised for life listening to The Wall at 10!
    I eventually replaced my Blondie obsession with Rush and from then it was a no u turn street.
    I am an utter music obsessive and retain the most mundane info about bands in my head like its a computer.
    I went to my first concert at 13 and am still going to them,raking up thousands by now.I have a vinyl and cd collection that took over our house years ago.Current count in the 2500-3000 range.
    Over the years certain bands have held special obsessive value to me,Rush,Hendrix,Pearl Jam,R.E.M,U2,Beck,White Stripes,Floyd,Tool and Pumpkins to name few.
    My biggest influence?My wonderful brother,and now I even influence him,got him into Pearl Jam and Live.
    Great thread,thanks.
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Great thread,thanks.

that was too long for me to read the first time....posting twice still doesn't make me want to read it!
    "It's all happening"
    stargirl69 wrote:
    I see you and raise you there man.I feel totally alive when I hear The Stone Roses.Never a bad musical move did those guys make,iconic of what Britain was from the late 80's and beyond.Good call man.Did you ever see them live?I was never that lucky.

totally agree!

saw them once at Whitley Bay Ice Rink and that was after Reni had left them... it was still pivotal for me as a musical experience... :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    that was too long for me to read the first time....posting twice still doesn't make me want to read it!

she's from Scotland... leave her alone or I'll haunt you for evermore ;);)
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    Green Day - Dookie

I suspect many people the same age as me (25) will have the same answer.
  • larslars Posts: 524
    Scorpions, iron maiden, ac-dc
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    for me it was freshamn year (im now going to be a freshman in college) and my friend downloaded limewire for me on my comp, i didnt really care for it since at the time music wasn't that important to me. so we were downloading stupid mainstream rock songs, yellowcard whatever. then i started downloading music my mom would listen to when i was a child. some alice in chains, some pearl jam, some soundgarden, 90's shit. but what is odd is that the first band i ever really got into was primus, of all bands at my age. i bought all of their albums and 2 dvd's. after that my next favorite band was aic. then after that all it really took was may 28 at the tweeter center when i saw pearl jam. they slowly started becoming my favorite band after that.

now im hardcore into music. i buy all of my music and own all pj albums, (except vitalogy and merkinball im not sure why, i know all of the songs off of them though, ill buy them soon) lost dogs, benaroya, save you single, 5 2003 bootlegs, gorge box set, and the LATG DVD. i plan on buying one or two 2000 bootlegs, a few old school bootlegs, touring band dvd, the new one coming out, and eds solo album.

i also own 15 out of the 19 rush albums. rush is my second favorite band plus the different stages live cd set that my mom bought and i put on my mp3 player.

i also have all the alice in chains and tool albums along with cds from audioslave, incubus, dream theater, nirvana box set (only cd purchase i regret), and a bunch of other cds.

music is my life now, and so are drums, which i have been playing for nearly EVERY day for almost a year now. i think i only missed 4 or 5 days of not playing.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    The first music I remember hearing where my father's two greatest hits of the sixties tapes that were played in the car when we were travelling any where. He also had greatest hits of the beach boys and pet sounds.
    I also remember a conversation between my mother and father on who was the greatest band of all time the beatles or the stones and they choose the beatles, so I had to check them out at a later date.

When I first started gettting into music it was Oasis influences that I checked out and low and behold alot of the stuff they liked had songs on the two greatest hits of the sixties.
    My the age of 14 on I started collecting music . Good enough collection at the moment. Getting alot of 60's and 70's classics at the minute

Cheeky cunt!It re-routed the second time by mistake!Don't need anyone to fucking haunt you,I'll do it myself.
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Cheeky fucker!It re-routed the second time by mistake

Scottish Bitch, I was only kiddin.
    "It's all happening"
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836

that's great. i just hope the offspring haven't entirely influenced the music you are playing. especially that americana album. ughhh....sorry for that, i just can't get that band. i will say though that i think sublime is the band that got me into rock music. as a young kid i was really into michael jackson, and gangster rap. sublime was an easy transition to rock music because they were kind of funky if you know what i mean. funny though because now i'm a huge music fanatic and i hate rap music and i really can't stand sublime either, although i still have respect for them. i guess 40 oz to freedom and robbin in the hood were pretty solid albums but i can't listen to them anymore.
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    Probably Cheap Trick Live at Budokan.

I had many different bands I liked, but when I heard this and then bought the album *sigh* that just did it.
    dunkman wrote:
    totally agree!

saw them once at Whitley Bay Ice Rink and that was after Reni had left them... it was still pivotal for me as a musical experience... :)

You lucky man.I'v only ever saw Fool's Gold tribute in Edinburgh and Glasgow.Nothin shabby there either though.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    music i grew up listening to as a kid. the who, the doors the greatful dead, the boss, billy joel. pearl jams alive video was the first video i ever saw on mtv
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• that was too long for me to read the first time....posting twice still doesn't make me want to read it!

So long that you had to quote the whole thing to post it for the third time? :)

I thought it was an interesting story anyway so who cares.

For me, my parents, and especially my Dad really got me into music. Beyond a few songs here and there, I didn't get into music really until 6th grade when I discovered Bob Marley and Neil Young. Oddly enough, these were my two favs for a few years until I discovered the whole grunge/alternative thing with PJ, Live, Bush, etc... in Junior High.

Now I'm in my mid-twenties, and there's nothing I enjoy more than discovering new music and going to shows! I still like to bring new discoveries back to the house to get the stamp of approval from Dad.

So far I've gotten him into anything from Radiohead to the Mars Volta. He's returned the favor many times over though by opening my eyes to everything from jazz to blues to classical, even Tom Waits!
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    mulva9 wrote:
    Green Day - Dookie

I suspect many people the same age as me (25) will have the same answer.
    Dookie was my first CD (except I got it long after it was released...like 5 or 6 years after). I really liked it, got heavy into Green Day. Then one day, I hate to admit here, but I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit on the radio and ever since then I've become a musician and been obsessed (unhealthy even maybe) with music. So Green Day and Nirvana are responsible, but I love Pearl Jam the most!!!