The Official Alt-Country/Southern Rock Thread

Comments

• artjamartjam Posts: 227
    Yes, this is my thread. This is my current favorite genre of music. Check out Sun Kil Moons "Ghosts of the Great Highway", its the best of Mark Kozeleks music. Magnolia Electric Co. is great(as mentioned one post above). Bob Schneider, Neko Case, Gillian Welch, Will Oldham, Neil Halstead are some more great artists.
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    The Bottle Rockets

My favorite band on this thread is so far Cenrto-Matic.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • I know it's not really alt-country, but I just listened to the album that Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits did with Emmylou Harris. It's a little adult-contempo in some places, but in others it's a good ol' slice of americana.
    Please don't smoke in smoke free buildings. You aren't cool, you're just an asshole
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I just got a new record by Okkeril River called "Black Sheep Boy" and it is amazing! Apparently they have a few other LP's that are worth checking out.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • Buffalo Tom
    Widespread Panic
    NERDS!
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    one of my favs...though not widely known outside of central florida...is band marino - http://www.myspace.com/bandmarino !!! i don't think that they tour too far away from florida, but if you have a chance to see them at all...do it!!! one of the most fun shows i've been to all year :)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Timesbold is a band well worth checking out.
    http://www.timesbold.net

Townes Van Zandt could easily go in this thread and is one of the greatest songwriters of all time.

I saw Southern Bitch open for DBT in December 2004 and they rocked.
    http://www.southernbitch.org

The Court and Spark is a terrific band out of San Francisco that I once saw open for the also excellent & already mentioned Magnolia Electric Co.
    http://dreamchimney.com/theCourtandSpark/

Iris DeMent is fantastic.
    http://www.irisdement.com
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    Typically I'd say that early Wilco & Uncle Tupelo is as alt-country as I get, but I love the Ryan Adams twangy stuff.

Willard Grant Conspiracy is another great band that no one seems to remember (their album Mojave is brilliant!). And maybe it's the Texas in me, but I can't help but like a little Robert Earl Keen and Pat Green - especially with an ice cold Shiner Bock. :)
  • the new Drams record reminds me of a mix between early Wilco and early REM.

it's incredible.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • seeing slobberbone play "gimme back my dog" made me happy.
    cracker-old 97s-jayhawks-love em also.
    the music of todd snider makes me happy as well.

peace
    lz
    The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever. Because this is just a ride." And we...kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok? But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
    --Bill Hicks
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    The Drones are quite interesting as well. The Sadies are fucking brilliant. Pair them with Neko Case (as they've done numerous times) and that's a helluva band. I just saw the Drive by Truckers earlier in the summer, and they were great. I'd like to see 'em play a longer show though (they were only an opener).
    Live Free or Die!
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Just popped on Mike Ness (of Social Distortions) solo album Under The Influences, and that one (along with Cheating at Solitare) could fit under the alt-country tag. Both excellent albums, the cover of Big Iron on Under the Influences is pretty damn good.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262

Thats an outdated link for Golden Smog, from the Weird Tales days. They just released a new album on Lost Highway, their new page is here:

http://main.losthighwayrecords.com/artist.aspx?src=lb&ob=rl&aid=251

Nice to see them out on tour again, catch it if you can since it is a quick one, although I don't think Tweedy is touring with them. Saw them back in '98(?) when they last did a big tour, and it was a great show.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • thanks for the heads up. GREAT BAND
  • How about Nickel Creek, anyone like them?
  • I've downloaded a few Nickel Creek songs and likes some other stuff that I've heard... are you suggesting any album in particular?
  • two notes...

Jason Isbell's "Dress Blues" is absolutely fucking amazing. Sad and genius and everything all together.
    check out the vid on youtube.

Also, anything Brent Best does is incredible.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Kings of Leon, MMJ and Ryan Adams are so great. I can't get enough of southern rock as of late. Possibly my fav genre of music in the world. There is an Australian band called Mexico City who fit this bill quite nicely.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    I'm seeing Okkervil River tonight at Fowlers Live in Adelaide.. I have seen them before they are the best.

I think Magnolia Electric Company are a good band but havent heard a lot of their stuff.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    allornone wrote:
    How about Nickel Creek, anyone like them?

ive not heard their albums but i LOVED their set at lollapalooza. it was so much fun, they are phenomenal musicians.

funny to see ryan adams mentioned so much. i might have to borrow a few albums from my friend, but his lollapalooza sets was one of the biggest disappointments of the weekend. very boring...
    ive not heard their albums but i LOVED their set at lollapalooza. it was so much fun, they are phenomenal musicians.

funny to see ryan adams mentioned so much. i might have to borrow a few albums from my friend, but his lollapalooza sets was one of the biggest disappointments of the weekend. very boring...

never heard of them before.... what album do you ppl recommend? They sound like my sort of music.

I need some recommendations for some southern rock bands.....

• Anyone who kinda likes Bluegrass/Country should check these guys out:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=49567158

Stewart And Winfield, I cant stress how awesome they are.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Zoso wrote:
    never heard of them before.... what album do you ppl recommend? They sound like my sort of music.

Probably "This Side" would be a good one to start with. "Why Should The Fire Die" is good as well, you really can't go wrong with either one. It's all acoustic, but they are great.

If you want to download a couple songs first, I'd recommend:
    Speak
    This Side
    When In Rome
    Jealous of the Moon (my favorite at the moment)

Let me know what you think!
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    Zoso wrote:
    I'm seeing Okkervil River tonight at Fowlers Live in Adelaide.. I have seen them before they are the best.

I think Magnolia Electric Company are a good band but havent heard a lot of their stuff.

how was the Okkervil River show? I just got into these guys and I think they're great. I only have Black Sheep Boy by them, but I want to get more.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
    alobar wrote:
    how was the Okkervil River show? I just got into these guys and I think they're great. I only have Black Sheep Boy by them, but I want to get more.

it was great.. they are a great live band. The crowd was sooo into it. Get all there albums they are so good.

• I saw American Minor open up for DBT back in Feb....they've got a Blind Melon/Black Crowes thing going on.

Good stuff.

•Don't Jump the Gun
    •Mr. Queen
    •Walk On

Great tracks.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Not sure if you would catogorize her as alt country but i think some do. I have been loving some Neko Case lately!!

Listening to her newest cd that song hold on is so good!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • anyone here heard the new Bonnie Prince Billy?

it's excellent.

"the seedling" scares the crap out of me. it sounds like something that would be playing as the world exploded or something.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits