I need new music in my life

mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Thread title says it all, I'm getting a little desperate with finding some new tunes. Help me out here, don't recommend anything older than 2006ish. Thanks in advance!
The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJBlissPJBliss Posts: 47
    try listening to Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, and Radiohead if you haven't already checked out these bands
  • IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 671
    New singer Travis really rocked it the other night when I saw them live at the Vogue in Indy.
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Matt Pond Pa

The Editors

Carbon:silicon

The Frames
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    PJBliss wrote:
    try listening to Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, and Radiohead if you haven't already checked out these bands

Yeah, familiar with those...thanks though.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    the national
    MGMT
    new REM
    vampire weekend
    old REM
    destroyer
    new black crowes
    new raconteurs (25th)

p.s. seeing blind melon in seattle on april 1st? is there actually a new album out???
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    the national
    MGMT
    new REM
    vampire weekend
    old REM
    destroyer
    new black crowes
    new raconteurs (25th)

p.s. seeing blind melon in seattle on april 1st? is there actually a new album out???

I saw Vampire Weekend on SNL....don't really see what al the fuss is about!
  • IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 671
    New Black Crowes
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
    yeah i dont agree with all the fuss, i saw that SNL too, i will admit i immediately downloaded it.. its minimialistic and fresh...its just good music, doesnt deserve all the hype, but its good.

ERA VULGARIS for the original poster, too. if you havent already got it.

kills.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    yeah i dont agree with all the fuss, i saw that SNL too, i will admit i immediately downloaded it.. its minimialistic and fresh...its just good music, doesnt deserve all the hype, but its good.

ERA VULGARIS for the original poster, too. if you havent already got it.

kills.

they reminded me of a band playing at a high school dance in an 80's movie!
  • kent_fkent_f Posts: 28
    Battles "Atlas"
    Black Kids "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You"
    Rogue Wave "Lake Michigan"
    Minus the Bear "Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse"

If you like these let me know and I'll keep the recommendations coming. If you don't like them...sorry.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Metric
    Arcade Fire
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    metric is past their best before date in my books....the first two albums were great and relevant, but that last piece of crap sucked....ive heard that it was a release of old recordings and i hope it is. ive seen them around five times and i recently passed up vancouver tickets for them....they need to impress me again....poster of a girl only goes so far, so many times....
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    Hopefully everyone owns at least one black keys album by now. Magic Potion is their latest but they have a new one out April 1st.
  • leethal wrote:
    Hopefully everyone owns at least one black keys album by now. Magic Potion is their latest but they have a new one out April 1st.

I'm a fan of the Black Keys but the new CD is not good IMO.
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Wintersleep....'Welcome to the Night Sky'

or any of the first two albums.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • pjfan85pjfan85 Posts: 124
    The Black Keys - "Your Touch"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXlgISd3iA

Hey Rosetta! - "Yes! Yes! Yes!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voimb846cSU

Matt Mays & El Torpedo - "Cocaine Cowgirl"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukYS3ayVnf8

Metric - "Combat Baby"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdZMsbQCcEM

The Novaks - "Goodbye Rock n' Roll Band"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdh8rD-P8MM

Queen's Maid - "Music"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3NBYTtRuOs

Sam Roberts - "Hard Road"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0RniSNWdYM

The Trews - "So She's Leaving"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OVz5212hXI
  • jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220
    Band of Horses

Baroness

High on Fire

Mudhoney (I know, they're not exactly new, but a new album is coming out soon!)

Built to Spill (again, not a new band, but they're fresh in my mind 'cause I just saw them a couple of weeks ago)

Ring, Cicada (gotta pimp the friend's band)
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    metric is past their best before date in my books....the first two albums were great and relevant, but that last piece of crap sucked....ive heard that it was a release of old recordings and i hope it is. ive seen them around five times and i recently passed up vancouver tickets for them....they need to impress me again....poster of a girl only goes so far, so many times....
    The last one WAS a release of old songs. From what I've heard of the new album (Stadium Love, The Hooks, Freddy) it's gonna be spectacular.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I am getting old.....I only recognize about 3 bands that were mentioned in this entire thread.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    some of us here really like Lifehouse
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    old "fuel" or new "fuel" (has a new front man)

you might like brian vander ark's solo cd's
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    These are the bands I have been digging lately

MGMT
    Editors
    The Cinematics
    Moving Units
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    Yer man from Editors makes me laugh, that stupid ian curtis voice he puts on.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    you should already have everything by the Hold Steady and you need everything by Ike Reilly. Also for new new stuff just get the fucking Gutter Twins records already, Mark lanegan at his growly-ist
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Priestess - Lay Down - very Sabbath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cfahXQh-X8
    Decipher the illusion, know the facts but retain the magic.
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    Thanks everybody, my ears appreciate it.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Wintersleep....'Welcome to the Night Sky'

or any of the first two albums.

What he said. Also check out any (or all) of the following albums. I guarantee you that multiple eargasms will occur:

Cuff the Duke- Sidelines of the City
    The National- Boxer
    Kathleen Edwards- Asking for Flowers
    The Tragically Hip- World Container
    The Weakerthans- Reunion Tour
    Drive-By Truckers- Brighter Than Creation's Dark
    Ron Hawkins- Chemical Sounds
    The Black Crowes- Warpaint
    The Hold Steady- Boys & Girls in America
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
    Thread title says it all, I'm getting a little desperate with finding some new tunes. Help me out here, don't recommend anything older than 2006ish. Thanks in advance!

how about ryan adams?
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
    is there a date for the new metric?