Chris Cornell - Irving Plaza in NYC 4/16

2»

Comments

• pjamdude69pjamdude69 Posts: 174
    Thanks for the great reviews one and all.. Sounds like a fucking awesome time. Always been a huge Cornell fan, but never had a chance to see SG or Audioslave live. Would actually kick ass if this tour would go through his former home town so I could check it out. ONE thing I miss about SoCal is that almost every band/act goes through there on EVERY tour.. Oh well, still not a good enough reason for me to move back. Just gotta deal with it..
    "On the edge of a know-nothin' town, Feelin' quite superior in Den Haag"

11.05.93- Indio, CA
    07.13.98- Inglewood, CA
    10.28.00- San Bernardino, CA
    06.02.03- Irvine, CA
    07.23.06- The Gorge
  • mauichick wrote:
    Next time all the fans who didn't get tix should ban together...

sounds like a plan... seriously...
    How did Phili compare w/ Irving?

the crowd energy was similar overall. i think at irving it was spread more evenly throughout the show, while the TLA crowd definitely seemed much more soundgarden-oriented (which is fine by me, although i do like audioslave).

several people in the first few rows were holding up old soundgarden LPs, and chris was signing them between songs. i thought that was cool.

his voice was in top form once again. good energy on stage, and the band's performance was about equal to irving.

in terms of the setlist, i thought cochise made a great opener. i never really enjoyed it when audioslave played it because it was such a predictable closer. but it absolutely rocked as an opener.

two more songs from carry on showed up last night: safe and sound and ghost (i think?). i thought safe and sound was especially good, possibly one of the highlights of the show (which is rare for such a new song). that's a hit single waiting to happen. it's been stuck in my head all day. :)

we also got fell on black days, burden in my hand, and an acoustic version of blow up the outside world that was really amazing.

black hole sun closed out the first encore once again, but then the house lights/music came on and the venue started to empty out! it was a great set, but i was kinda disappointed that it ended without a second encore.

and just as i was about to make my way to the door, chris and the band were back again. the lights and music cut out and the band went into hunger strike... always great encore material (but especially this time since we all thought the show was over). and then, SLAVES AND BULLDOZERS!!!

(is it even legal to type the name of that song without using caps and exclamation points?)

a great night once again. i think i was a little more blown away by the irving show, but that could have just been because everything was new to me and therefore unexpected.

two great shows overall. and he's just getting warmed up... :D
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    Yeah I met a cool couple who won meet n greet and were HUGE audioslave fans at Irving..She was supposed to email me w/ the scoop...Michelle if y're out there, please post

Thanks for the great review :)
    Sounds awesome..S and B is super cool and I love Blow up the Outside World
    ...If i didn't already have tix for Rent I would have def made the drive, esp after Mon...
    Ended up @ Brand New anyway (don't make fun...had to go for my niece when her friends got stuck) any excuse to go back to irving is fine by me...

It's great the way he's playing fan requests..
    I'd KILL to hear Nothing to Say, Sunshower, and Thank you
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows