Chris Cornell - Irving Plaza in NYC 4/16

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Before I start my review, here is the setlist.

Spoonman
Original Fire
No Such Thing
Say Hello to Heaven
Like A Stone
Arms Around Your Love
Outshined
Seasons
Call Me A Dog
Can't Change Me
Doesn't Remind Me
What You Are
Rusty Cage
Zero Chance
Billie Jeans
Loud Love
**Encore**
Hunger Strike
You Know My Name
Black Hole Sun
**Encore**
Wide Awake
Jesus Christ Pose

Ok, I started my day getting into Penn Station a little after 5. Got something to eat and starting walking down to Irving Plaza (a block or so away from Union Sq.). I got in line around 6:30-6:45...Doors opened around 8:15.

I got my spot only about 2 "rows" away dead center. I met a lot of cool people at this show. A LOT OF PEARL JAM FANS. I was telling people that my friend (who couldn't make the show but had a ticket), heard from the NY Post that Eddie was spotted in the city so we could get a little treat (never happened). That started the conversation of SO many people saying PJ was their favorite band. There was a girl infront of me with a Philly 2005 shirt so I had to comment that.

Show started around 9:20, place was so fucking loud. Spoonman opens upand the first line "feel the rhythm with your HANDS!!!"...blasted that place :D. When Like A Stone started, and got to the chorus part....Chris just gave us the mic, and we sand the WHOLE chorus, it was great.

You could tell from every "thankyou" he gave to the crowd (which was about 50, lol) that he really ment it. You could tell he was having SO much fun and realized that this is something he still wants to do. When Say Hello 2 Heaven started, I almost shit my pants, another sing along. He dedicated Can't Change Me to his wife. I was surprised to see Zero Chance get so many cheers.

This was the first show with TWO ENCORES! I was shocked when he came out again. And then...Jesus Christ Pose :D WELL YOUR STARING AT ME IN YOUR JESUS CHRIST POOOOOOSE....fuckin, Chris hit every god damn note in that song perfectly.

During the show I had drum sticks and picks thrown at me but I was so into it not knowing they were coming, LOL. Place was hot and sweaty especially with a jacket on. But who fucking cares! He played about 2 hours, and the 2 hours was well worth my $140 a ticket.

For those who didn't go because they didn't get tickets...they released a bunch at the box office around 7:15. A group from Europe (one with a PJ shirt on) was about to buy from a scalper (300 for 2) but then got them at the box office....good for him!!

OH!!!

And did I mention...

CHRIS' FUCKING VOICE IS FUCKING AMAZING!!!
Personally, I think it's better than ever...I was blown away...he hit some notes back to back to back to back that just made my jaw drop and the crowd go nuts!
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Actually, he dedicated Call Me a Dog to his wife. Can't Change Me was dedicated to the girl with the Sweet Euphoria license plate...
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i hate u all ;)
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Seriously... when I read these threads, I just get chills whenever I think about the potential of Sunday's Philly show... I get the feeling that this will be the highlight of my year.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I know, I almost feel bad saying it - but the show was really THAT good. Second only to PJ at Irving Plaza, of course. Chris's voice is so amazing. I literally was just in awe - plenty of "holy sh-t" moments for me!
  • Actually, he dedicated Call Me a Dog to his wife. Can't Change Me was dedicated to the girl with the Sweet Euphoria license plate...

Yes, your right. The girl with the the license plate was only about 3 people to the right of me.

Sorry :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRZ_FqgrJdc
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    . There was a girl infront of me with a Philly 2005 shirt so I had to comment that. quote]

Thaaat was me. :)

UNBELIEVABLE show. Incredible energy and stage presence. His voice is just unfathomably good.
  • piaget77 wrote:
    . There was a girl infront of me with a Philly 2005 shirt so I had to comment that. quote]

Thaaat was me. :)

UNBELIEVABLE show. Incredible energy and stage presence. His voice is just unfathomably good.

Haha! Hey what's up!

I didn't mention the part about the drunk guy during Jesus Chris Pose trying to mosh and start shit (not in a good way). It was pretty funny.

OH SHIT!

Rusty Cage...omg...I didn't say anything about that. That got the place going!
  • Yes, your right. The girl with the the license plate was only about 3 people to the right of me.

Sorry :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRZ_FqgrJdc

It's cool. Didn't mean to be a dick about it. I wasn't too far from where you were, only a couple of "rows" behind. Of course, once the crowd started pushing foward I ended up close to the front rail...and I wasn't complaining!
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    piaget77 wrote:

I didn't mention the part about the drunk guy during Jesus Chris Pose trying to mosh and start shit (not in a good way). It was pretty funny.

OH SHIT!

Not to mention the two chicks fist fighting right next to all of us during Black Hole Sun.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
    piaget77 wrote:

Haha! Hey what's up!

OH SHIT!

Hey!

Yeah, that guy was creepy.

Outshined, Rusty Cage, and Jesus Christ Pose made it seem like 1991. :)Amazing show. Still can't believe how close we were to Chris Cornell and how incredible he sounded.
    mookie9999 wrote:

Not to mention the two chicks fist fighting right next to all of us during Black Hole Sun.

Yeah, there were also a lot of drunk girls trying to crowd surf during the heavier songs.
  • piaget77 wrote:
    mookie9999 wrote:

Yeah, there were also a lot of drunk girls trying to crowd surf during the heavier songs.

I saw one girl nailed you in the head with her foot. You could tell Chris was like "wow what a dumb bitch!". I agree, I can't believe how close we were...I got there at 6:45 (doors were SUPPOSED to open at 8)...I thought I would be around the block...I was within the first 40 online!
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    piaget77 wrote:

I saw one girl nailed you in the head with her foot. You could tell Chris was like "wow what a dumb bitch!". I agree, I can't believe how close we were...I got there at 6:45 (doors were SUPPOSED to open at 8)...I thought I would be around the block...I was within the first 40 online!

Yeah, I got smacked in the head. I was trying to direct all of them away from my girlfriend. Up until the first surfer (over 1 hour into the show) it was one of the most mellow crowds still showing enthusiasm that I have ever been a part of!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Seasons sounded amazing last night!!!!
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    Seasons sounded amazing last night!!!!

Yes and the lighting was so cool
    Still havn't come down(or slept yet...)

Soo tempted to go to Boston
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    How did Say Hello 2 Heaven sound? I wish he played that in Mpls.
  • holtz wrote:
    How did Say Hello 2 Heaven sound? I wish he played that in Mpls.

It sounded great as well!!! As the show continued he sounded better and better.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • thats a pretty standard trait of a cornell show, he gets increasingly more impressive.

you ppl are soooo lucky, roll on may 16th!
  • It sounded great as well!!! As the show continued he sounded better and better.

Say Hello To Heaven was the highlight of my night! And for it to come at the beginning of the set. I yelled louder than anyone in that place (everyone in that place cheered for that song).

Yeah he just kept getting better and better until Jesus Christ Pose...and then the show ended, lol
  • Before I start my review, here is the setlist.

Spoonman
    Original Fire
    No Such Thing
    Say Hello to Heaven
    Like A Stone
    Arms Around Your Love
    Outshined
    Seasons
    Call Me A Dog
    Can't Change Me
    Doesn't Remind Me
    What You Are
    Rusty Cage
    Zero Chance
    Billie Jeans
    Loud Love
    **Encore**
    Hunger Strike
    You Know My Name
    Black Hole Sun
    **Encore**
    Wide Awake
    Jesus Christ Pose

This set list is just about perfect. Best one I've seen so far. So many of my favorites on it. Hope Dallas's set list is similar.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • This set list is just about perfect. Best one I've seen so far. So many of my favorites on it. Hope Dallas's set list is similar.

If Slaves and Bulldozers and My Wave were played...perfect setlist ;)

But yeah couldn't ask for a better set from Chris!!
  • i meant to comment on this earlier but i've been busy the last few days, so here goes. first of all:

HHV: great review.

mauichick: glad to hear you were able to get a ticket.

i got a ticket. :D it cost me $120. :rolleyes::o but i figured it would be worth it.

then monday came and all the roads were flooded out, including i-95 and route 1. it was completely insane; i was trapped in central jersey. i was originally supposed to be in the city at 9 am. that didn't happen. and even when enough roads were finally cleared for me to drive anywhere, i still couldn't make it to a train station or into the city directly by car. i was told by several emergency workers that with all the closed roads, traffic, and train delays, i basically had no chance of making it into the city that day. they instructed me to turn around and go home.

but of course i still had to try. and i'm not gonna bore you guys with all the details of my "journey," but there were several points at which i was completely ready to take their advice and go home. i was stuck in a bumper-to-bumper standstill in a small open space between two flooded-out sections of route 1, banging my head against the steering wheel and thinking about the $120 i'd wasted. also, how the hell was i gonna be able to go online later and face the setlist i missed???

so i couldn't give up, and somehow i managed to navigate through all the congested detours and find a non-flooded back road to a train station. it took me four hours to get there from my house (it usually takes 15-20 minutes). i caught an express train, there were no delays, and i made it into the venue before the start of the show. :D i even made it to about the tenth row right in the middle, which i think was pretty good given the circumstances.

i apologize for spending so much time talking about things that don't really relate to chris cornell, but after two days i still can't believe i was able to get there. and HOLY SHIT, what an amazing fucking show!!! i saw audioslave four times and chris' voice was never this strong... not even close. he was hitting every single note. it was unreal.

and four songs into the set... say hello 2 heaven!!! he could have walked off the stage right after that song and the whole experience would have been worth it. but he just kept busting out the rarities... seasons, call me a dog, can't change me, and everything sounded amazing. best setlist of the tour so far, in my opinion. zero chance was great, and LOUD LOVE was completely unexpected and unbelievable. i didn't think for second that he'd play a second encore, but there it was. the acoustic version of wide awake was mind blowing, and then he closed with JESUS CHRIST POSE!!! i know i'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said, so i'm gonna stop now. but seriously... how fucking amazing was that show?!?

and now it's on to philly and baltimore...

:D:D:D:D:D
    Hey, after that story you REALLY deserved the awesome Show we saw..
    I was front row, just left of center, Never in my wildest dreams would i ever think i'd get that close
    I'm Still not over it
    Cool y're able to travel and see other shows
    i wanted to do boston and phili but life got in the way
    Can't wait until he comes back (talking to someone in line who knew the drummer said they would be..)

did you see EM tour? As great as that was, i think these shows Blow them away
    Or at least that's my opinion now...
  • mauichick wrote:
    Hey, after that story you REALLY deserved the awesome Show we saw..
    I was front row, just left of center, Never in my wildest dreams would i ever think i'd get that close
    I'm Still not over it
    Cool y're able to travel and see other shows
    i wanted to do boston and phili but life got in the way
    Can't wait until he comes back (talking to someone in line who knew the drummer said they would be..)

did you see EM tour? As great as that was, i think these shows Blow them away
    Or at least that's my opinion now...

front row... NICE! my original plan involved getting there from work at around 6 PM to wait on line. but as i said, i think i did alright given the circumstances.

life does tend to get in the way sometimes... i noticed this too. but from where i live in jersey, philly on a sunday night isn't much of a problem (that's tonight :D). although i'm still not entirely sure how this whole baltimore thing is gonna work out. but if irving plaza worked out, i'm sure this will too. and if those two shows are even half as good as irving, it will be worth it.

i did not see the EM tour and i never saw soundgarden. that's why i'm running around all over the northeast right now. i was trying to get to lollapalooza in '96, but i was living outside of DC at the time and the nearest show was 5-6 hours away in west virginia (for some reason). and we were all in eighth grade, so none of us could drive. my friend dave said to me, "don't worry, we'll just see soundgarden the next time they tour." i think we all know how that ended up. i'm meeting up with him in baltimore. i'll have to remind him of this.

i've heard the rumor of a second tour too, most recently on WMMR (philly rock station). also, from chriscornell.com:
    If you haven't had the chance to see one of these fantastic performances, packed with all of these amazing songs, be sure to check back soon for more upcoming tour dates.
    i'm hoping for larger venues this time so we'll all be able to get tickets the legit way.
  • His voice is really fucking unbelievable right now. I think he's better than ever - yes, even TOTD Chris. He's got his range back and his voice is just so goddamn rich.. oh man.. I gotta see him live.

How was Say Hello To Heaven? Did he go for the reallllllly high note at the end?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    His voice is really fucking unbelievable right now. I think he's better than ever - yes, even TOTD Chris. He's got his range back and his voice is just so goddamn rich.. oh man.. I gotta see him live.

How was Say Hello To Heaven? Did he go for the reallllllly high note at the end?

Say Hello to Heaven was so beautiful and heartbreaking. He chose to linger on some of the lyrics, and it came across so incredibly sincere. I'm pretty sure he came very close to that high note at the end. Say Hello to Heaven was one of those songs that I accepted I'd never get to hear, and to experience it with such intensity was amazing. It really does seem like he bought a new set of vocal chords.
  • piaget77 wrote:
    Say Hello to Heaven was so beautiful and heartbreaking. He chose to linger on some of the lyrics, and it came across so incredibly sincere. I'm pretty sure he came very close to that high note at the end. Say Hello to Heaven was one of those songs that I accepted I'd never get to hear, and to experience it with such intensity was amazing. It really does seem like he bought a new set of vocal chords.
    Chris - smoking - drinking + training + generally repairing his voice over the last 5 years = amazing.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    front row... NICE! my original plan involved getting there from work at around 6 PM to wait on line. but as i said, i think i did alright given the circumstances.

life does tend to get in the way sometimes... i noticed this too. but from where i live in jersey, philly on a sunday night isn't much of a problem (that's tonight :D). although i'm still not entirely sure how this whole baltimore thing is gonna work out. but if irving plaza worked out, i'm sure this will too. and if those two shows are even half as good as irving, it will be worth it.

i did not see the EM tour and i never saw soundgarden. that's why i'm running around all over the northeast right now. i was trying to get to lollapalooza in '96, but i was living outside of DC at the time and the nearest show was 5-6 hours away in west virginia (for some reason). and we were all in eighth grade, so none of us could drive. my friend dave said to me, "don't worry, we'll just see soundgarden the next time they tour." i think we all know how that ended up. i'm meeting up with him in baltimore. i'll have to remind him of this.

i've heard the rumor of a second tour too, most recently on WMMR (philly rock station). also, from chriscornell.com:

i'm hoping for larger venues this time so we'll all be able to get tickets the legit way.

Next time all the fans who didn't get tix should ban together...I ended up being 1st on line and i def would have gotten tix for people (was able to get 2 for friends who came later)

I saw Soundgarden twice-lolla in IL (if that counts) and at Roseland
    Lolla was great (pretty close, maybe 4 people back in the pit) a little rough but they were worth it..Metallica blew them away though...20k+ in the crowd singing every note
    Everyone going to Lolla-be so greatful its in Grant Park
    When I went it was HELL coming back (one lane in farm country w/ my friends getting sick (car/sun/alcohol) and getting back @6am. Then getting rental mini van impounded cause we parked illegally (thought it was still sun, when it
    was now mon..fun times :))
    Chris was drunk @ Roseland and cursing out Rolling Stone staffers who were in VIP (Unflattering Eddie article w/old pict had just come out)
    Good show, but not them at there peak

Cool yr making up for it now...

How did Phili compare w/ Irving?