The Doors vs Rolling Stones

Comments

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    the rolling stones are the essence of ROCK AND ROLL. the stones.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    I like the The Doors more.
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • i tell you it was magical driving around the city w/ that song playing.. BLASTING. never had a Stones moment like that.

You've obviously never gotten drunk and sang along to "Exile On Main Street" at the top of your lungs. Fuck, most of you people have probably never even HEARD "Exile On Main Street". I've had more moments with that album alone than I've ever had with any lame Doors song.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    JWBusher wrote:
    How could you guys even consider picking The Doors? They're total pussies compared to the Stones.

I think the Stones are the most overrated act in the history of rock. Sorry, just my opinion. Lyrically, musically, and vocally, The Doors surpass the Stones.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Doors by a mile for me
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I was waiting for someone to do the whole "Nobody liked Nirvana till Kurt died" line in regards to the longevity thing, Sticky Fingers is better than any 10 songs the Doors ever recorded, the Stone also get bonus points because they have less annoying fans
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    I like the stones. Some really, really good shit. They were a great rock n' roll band. One of the best ever.

But, the Doors were that too . . . and much, much, much more.

The Doors get my vote.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I was waiting for someone to do the whole "Nobody liked Nirvana till Kurt died" line in regards to the longevity thing, Sticky Fingers is better than any 10 songs the Doors ever recorded, the Stone also get bonus points because they have less annoying fans

LOL check page 1, I already did that
  • boroff89 wrote:
    I think the Stones are the most overrated act in the history of rock. Sorry, just my opinion. Lyrically, musically, and vocally, The Doors surpass the Stones.

Based on what? The 6 songs you've heard? Get real.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    JWBusher wrote:
    Based on what? The 6 songs you've heard? Get real.

I have listened to quite a bit of the Stones, actually. Try not to make silly assumptions like that. As I said before, they are really hit and miss with me. I like the entire Doors' catalogue. It's cool if you connect more with the Stones. I don't.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    JWBusher wrote:
    You've obviously never gotten drunk and sang along to "Exile On Main Street" at the top of your lungs. Fuck, most of you people have probably never even HEARD "Exile On Main Street". I've had more moments with that album alone than I've ever had with any lame Doors song.
    harsh words myman. i own Exile and love it. i just love the Doors more. and LA Woman is not a lame song, don't be rude.
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    JWBusher wrote:
    What a stupid fucking thread.

The Rolling Stones are a balls-out rock and roll band, the greatest ever.

The Doors are a bad lounge act in comparison.
    word....but i do like the doors, but they can't be compared to the stones.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Easily The Doors, The Doors are the second most important band of all time. I think its absolutely crazy that people consider The Rolling Stones the better of the two.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    This seems like a no brainer to me.....the STONES by a country mile!
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    This seems like a no brainer to me.....the STONES by a country mile!
    Agreed, I can't even believe this is a discussion. It's like trying to compare PJ with Oasis......"that'll open a can".

Stones
    Stones
    Stones.....Stones
    Stones
    Stones

The Doors would be behind many bands of that era, still great, just not as great.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    dirtyT wrote:
    Agreed, I can't even believe this is a discussion. It's like trying to compare PJ with Oasis......"that'll open a can".

Stones
    Stones
    Stones.....Stones
    Stones
    Stones

The Doors would be behind many bands of that era, still great, just not as great.

Oasis is so far superior to PJ I won't even open up a discussion or a can.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    JWBusher wrote:
    What a stupid fucking thread.

The Rolling Stones are a balls-out rock and roll band, the greatest ever.

The Doors are a bad lounge act in comparison.

You said it bud.The Doors were and remain utter shite.Actually I'll amend that,the rest of the band were probably ok guys but Jim Morrison from what I have read and saw footage of him,considering he wasnt around when I was born was a overblown,ego bloated,self promoting,over privileged wanker,who sealed his questionable "icon" fate when he died.His music and poetry was immature and misguided to say the least.
    In my experience of friends who were into them and touted their lyrical content as visionary.They did this at the height of their "drug experimentation college days".Once they left college and stopped getting stoned all the time they realised they had been screwed by The Doors all that time,they have a very short shelf life for most people once they grow up a bit.I am instantly suspicious of someone when they declare themselves a Doors fan.
    The Rolling Stones are now a bit of an embarrassment granted and before anyone jumps in to make similarities between Jagger and Morrison in regarding to bloated ego's etc I would not disagree with that argument but Exile On Main Street is one of the finest rock albums ever.

This is a pretty crap thread really.That got me all riled up never the less.If anything it should have been The Rolling Stones vs The Who or The Doors vs The Velvet Underground.V's usually links to similarities in style,genre or cultural background.
    The Doors vs The Rolling Stones fits none of these.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    The Doors. All the guys in the Stones combined don't have the talent Ray Manzarek has. He's truly the most underrated artist ever. Add to that the great vocals of Jim and you've got a perfect band. The Stones, imo, are a bunch of wankers, posers.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    i don't know man... jim morrison woulda still been legendary even if he didn't die.

the joy division lead singer inspired himself from jim morrison. scott weiland was inspired by jim morrison. a crapload of other artists were inspired by jim morrison.

of course, jim morrison was inspired by elvis presley. that's why he's the king, but that's a whole other thing.

and mind you, elvis was already the king long before he died.

"a crapload of other artists were inspired by Jim Morrison"

Yeah you're right..........and they were all crap!Didnt move far from the mothership did they?

PPS Ian Curtis was the singer in Joy Division,check music knowledge info before post.
  • StereotypeStereotype Posts: 885
    The Doors for me. Just the voice and lyrics of Jim makes it for me. I also love the sensual music and uniqness in compositions.
    Stones did also push that stone that later became a ROCK. Literally. But their music is dull to me. Not so much creativity as I can see with the Doors.
    Without both music wouldn't be the same.
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• stargirl69 wrote:
    His music and poetry was immature and misguided to say the least.

Jimbo's "poetry" was absolutely awful. When he finally died, The Doors approached Kevin Coyne, a genuine poet, artist and peerless singer-songwriter, to be the replacement. He told them in no uncertain terms to fuck off, and that they were crap.

The genius of Kevin Coyne (might go over a few heads):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Qdw9wumkc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqoOJgvWXbw
    Jimbo's "poetry" was absolutely awful. When he finally died, The Doors approached Kevin Coyne, a genuine poet, artist and peerless singer-songwriter, to be the replacement. He told them in no uncertain terms to fuck off, and that they were crap.

The genius of Kevin Coyne (might go over a few heads):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Qdw9wumkc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqoOJgvWXbw

Yeah the genius gene can always spot a charlatan.
    Morrison was a twat who made to many dodgy references to lizards that he flowered up as "poetry".This is still a crap thread but has got many hooked.
  • stargirl69 wrote:
    Yeah the genius gene can always spot a charlatan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC62WgREj6E

:D

Yep, he can. ;)
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    I would guess the fact this thread is going on for so long is testimony to just how much the Stones have damaged themselves by continuing on way past their inspiration, ability or prime. I guess if one is forced to take albums like "Steel Wheels", "Dirty Work", "Bridges to Babylon" et al. into the equation, then, well yes, it becomes a bit of a toss up. I'm not a Doors fan at all, but I also wasn't aroun in the 60's. So when I was listenning to the Stones and Doors as a kid in the 80s all I had to go on was the music.

Now as of the 80s it was still a no brainer. The Doors had a mumble mouthed singer who couldn't be bothered to cope with reality glowering on over some chromatic elevator music.

The Stones sounded like a party, or a road trip, or a bad assed rock band.

But as time goes on, and as the Stones burry their greatness with more and more microwave dinner quality rock and roll I guess it's going to become tougher and tougher for people further down the road to tell the difference.

To me "Morrison Hotel" vs. "Exile on Main St." is no contest, Stones win. But "Morrison Hotel" vs. "Voodoo Lounge"? Still no contest... but it goes the other way.

Ironic. Everyone goes on about how no one would take the Doors seriously if Morrison hadn't died. I think people may stop taking Jagger and Richards seriously because they're still going.
  • i could never choose between the two. both amazing to me. i think i am indecisive by nature, because i can never choose in situations like these! just like i couldn't tell you what my favorite PJ album is, or favorite song, favorite movie, etc.

sometimes i prefer the doors, sometimes the stones.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    "Why do you need Mick Jagger when you can have me?"
    -Jim Morrison

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    these band comparisons really do get on my nerves. but i agree with fins, i outgrew alot of the doors shit a long time ago. i still like to hear crystal ship, indian summer, soul kitchen, riders on the storm ,etc., though less and less. as for the screaming evil "poetry" jim espoused, no thanks..

the stones are so much more listenable to me. if you can delve further than the hits, such as honky tonk women, you might be surprised..

as for the stones ticket prices, yeah, way too high. though i have to say that last september's show @ churchhill downs really was surprising and outstanding. i have seen alot of shows in my day. & the stones are THE if not one of THE best live acts i have ever seen. yes, up there with PJ.. i'm sad for anyone who has never been to a stones show. i'm even more saddened to hear that (for real) tomorrow could be their last show... yeah they may come back in a few years on a smaller scale, but as we all know things get harder as you get older.. they have given it ONE HELL of a run. fo' drizzle.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    kdpjam wrote:
    as for the stones ticket prices, yeah, way too high. though i have to say that last september's show @ churchhill downs really was surprising and outstanding. i have seen alot of shows in my day. & the stones are THE if not one of THE best live acts i have ever seen. yes, up there with PJ.. i'm sad for anyone who has never been to a stones show. i'm even more saddened to hear that (for real) tomorrow could be their last show... yeah they may come back in a few years on a smaller scale, but as we all know things get harder as you get older.. they have given it ONE HELL of a run. fo' drizzle.

My father was a huge Stones fan until he saw them live, he said it was the worst show he ever saw. The worst.

And my cousin also went to a Stones show and he also said they sucked live.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Collin wrote:
    My father was a huge Stones fan until he saw them live, he said it was the worst show he ever saw. The worst.

maybe that's when they were old when they saw the show???

i'm listening to the doors right now.... i prefer them over stones
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Collin wrote:

sorry to hear that. they were great when i saw them.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~