The Doors vs Rolling Stones

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited August 2007 in Other Music
I know its hard to compare since the Doors were only around for a short time compared to the Stones but anyway, I got into a battle with my friend about whos the better band.

The Doors.

Discuss...
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I know its hard to compare since the Doors were only around for a short time compared to the Stones but anyway, I got into a battle with my friend about whos the better band.

The Doors.

Discuss...
    I agree.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I'm big on lyrics and neither of these bands really specialize in that area, but Jim Morrison is not the poet people make him out to be, in my honest opinion.

Stones kick my ass everytime I hear Gimme Shelter,

So it's The Rolling Stones for me
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I prefer The Doors. I like just about every Doors song their is. With the Stones, it is really hit and miss with me.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    The Doors....
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    doors
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • The Rolling Stones. The Doors are a band most people grow out of.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    j'adoor the Doors.. for me its Jim's voice compared to Micks.. and i love the resonance and mahogany lushness of Jims compared to Micks strains and stretches.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • doors.

i like the stones and admire their longevity but they are very diff sounding bands and i happen to prefer the doors sound.

they are very very close though...
  • What a stupid fucking thread.

The Rolling Stones are a balls-out rock and roll band, the greatest ever.

The Doors are a bad lounge act in comparison.
  • The Doors
    The Doors
    The Doors
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    It depends on which I'm listening to at the moment. I think both managed to become a part of my genetic make up at some point.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    boroff89 wrote:
    I prefer The Doors. I like just about every Doors song their is. With the Stones, it is really hit and miss with me.

Yeah, I like every Stones song between 67-72 too.

If the doors would have stuck around for another 5 years, they would have started putting out shitty albums too.

To the original poster.....this is easy. STONES.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    2 great bands,,tough call i stay stones because of the amount of songs
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    I prefer the Stones. I really do like the Doors, but I love the Stones.
  • Milestone wrote:
    Yeah, I like every Stones song between 67-72 too.

If the doors would have stuck around for another 5 years, they would have started putting out shitty albums too.

To the original poster.....this is easy. STONES.

the last 2 Doors albums were arguable the 2 best albums they put out (morrison hotel and la woman)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    The Doors are only legondary becuase their lead singer died at the height of their fame. They never had the chance to put out terrible albums after that. After he died, all their work became "great." The Stones on the other hand have been putting out music for decades, albeit some better than others, they have stood the test of time. If Jim Morrison were still alive, the Doors would have had the chance to kill their own career by putting out mediocre work; Morrison dying was the best thing to happen to that band (which is the case for most bands when a musician dies at the height of their fame. exception Blind Melon). I honestly think there is only one band that can be considered as better than the Stones, and that is the Beatles.

All you have to do is go to a Stones concert and you can hear 2 hours of songs that are staples of rock and roll. You will hear riffs that are imbeded into out brains as what rock and roll is.
  • thunderDAN wrote:
    The Doors are only legondary becuase their lead singer died at the height of their fame. They never had the chance to put out terrible albums after that. After he died, all their work became "great." The Stones on the other hand have been putting out music for decades, albeit some better than others, they have stood the test of time. If Jim Morrison were still alive, the Doors would have had the chance to kill their own career by putting out mediocre work; Morrison dying was the best thing to happen to that band (which is the case for most bands when a musician dies at the height of their fame. exception Blind Melon). I honestly think there is only one band that can be considered as better than the Stones, and that is the Beatles.

you can say that about any band though...if John Bonnham died after LZ4, we wouldn't have even better work of Zeppelin like Houses of the Holy or Physical Graffiti....If Pink Floyd stopped after Dark Side of the Moon, we wouldn't have Animals, Wish You Were Here, or The Wall

Fuck it, lets go one step further...the beatles...if they stopped after The White Albumwe wouldnt have Abby Road, Let It Be, Hey Jude
    you can say that about any band though...if John Bonnham died after LZ4, we wouldn't have even better work of Zeppelin like Houses of the Holy or Physical Graffiti....If Pink Floyd stopped after Dark Side of the Moon, we wouldn't have Animals, Wish You Were Here, or The Wall

Fuck it, lets go one step further...the beatles...if they stopped after The White Albumwe wouldnt have Abby Road, Let It Be, Hey Jude

I don't know I just know that bands seem to be overrated the second someone dies in the band. Look at Nirvana, nobody gave a shit about them in 1994 and people actually (if you look at album sales) prefered Pearl Jam to Nirvana. The day Kurt died Nirvana became the "most important American rock band ever", and Pearl Jam is still an after thought of that era to most people (I know not to us).
  • thunderDAN wrote:
    I don't know I just know that bands seem to be overrated the second someone dies in the band. Look at Nirvana, nobody gave a shit about them in 1994 and people actually (if you look at album sales) prefered Pearl Jam to Nirvana. The day Kurt died Nirvana became the "most important American rock band ever", and Pearl Jam is still an after thought of that era to most people (I know not to us).
    i see what you're saying.... but still doors are a great band. even if no one had died they'd of still been a legendary band.

i mean, what now? if hendrix hadn't died, if janis joplin wouldn't have died, if lynyrd skynyrd wouldn't have had that fateful accident are we to say they would've never been great artists who deserve the recognition they've been honored with?

james brown was already a legendary icon long before he died. so are the rolling stones.

my point is, regardless.... the doors still deserve the credit due....

i prefer doors over stones.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • thunderDAN wrote:
    I don't know I just know that bands seem to be overrated the second someone dies in the band. Look at Nirvana, nobody gave a shit about them in 1994.

What the fuck have you been smoking? Were you even around back then? Or were you still in diapers?
    JWBusher wrote:
    What the fuck have you been smoking? Were you even around back then? Or were you still in diapers?

look at the album sales of Vs. compared to In Utero during their first couple weeks on the charts. They speak for themselves. Ten and Vs. had outsold Nirvana's Nevermind and In Utero in 1991 and 93 respectively.

Here read this book. It's basically the exact theory I have been using. Jim Morrison is legondary becuase he was never alive to have the chance to do a VH1 Storytellers in 2004 trying to push new material that nobody wants to hear, that's all I'm saying.

http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Yourself-Live-True-Story/dp/0743264460
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    the last 2 Doors albums were arguable the 2 best albums they put out (morrison hotel and la woman)

Yeah, it was the time period. All the classic bands put out some of their best material 71-72.

Morrison was already getting fat and useless after LA Woman. Do you really think the 1980's would have been kind to him?
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • thunderDAN wrote:
    look at the album sales of Vitology compared to In Utero during their first couple weeks on the charts. They speak for themselves.

Here read this book. It's basically the exact theory I have been using. Jim Morrison is legondary becuase he was never alive to have the chance to do a VH1 Storytellers in 2004 trying to puch new material that nobody wants to hear, that's all I'm saying.

http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Yourself-Live-True-Story/dp/0743264460
    i don't know man... jim morrison woulda still been legendary even if he didn't die.

the joy division lead singer inspired himself from jim morrison. scott weiland was inspired by jim morrison. a crapload of other artists were inspired by jim morrison.

of course, jim morrison was inspired by elvis presley. that's why he's the king, but that's a whole other thing.

and mind you, elvis was already the king long before he died.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    Personally, the Doors for me! I can understand the argument for the Stones though and think there are actually more points that can be made for them, this is just personal preference.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
    i don't know man... jim morrison woulda still been legendary even if he didn't die.

the joy division lead singer inspired himself from jim morrison. scott weiland was inspired by jim morrison. a crapload of other artists were inspired by jim morrison.

of course, jim morrison was inspired by elvis presley. that's why he's the king, but that's a whole other thing.

I never said Jim Morrison isn't or wouldn't be legondary without his death, but I'm saying that he probably wouldn't be this iconic figure if he grew to be a old bitter man living in Florida going to the dog tracks everyday. He could have turned out to be another Alice Cooper playing golf everyday, then all of a sudden he isn't this iconic rock star we thought he was. By dying when he did, that's all we know him as, we don't know him as the dad, or the husband, we just know him as the rock star who lived like one. The same can be said for Kurt Cobain. If Eddie Vedder offed himself in 1993, Pearl Jam would be reffered to as the voice of the generation, the lable that Nirvana got after April 1994.
  • Elvis is an icon and he died fat and drunk and on the toilet....if Jim was still alive and made it through the 80s fat but still sang and put out good music, he would still be the icon he is today
  • i say the who!!!
    But given the choice of doors and stones
    i go with DOORS!!!!

but i will pick the who over anyone any day. :D
    "You are a furry thing....you me me you its all related"
  • How could you guys even consider picking The Doors? They're total pussies compared to the Stones.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i like the Stones alot but i'll have to go with The Doors.

first (and only) time i was in California, right when i landed at LAX a friend of mine picked me up and i put on the song "LA Woman". i tell you it was magical driving around the city w/ that song playing.. BLASTING. never had a Stones moment like that.
  • This one is easy. The doors for sure. Just because the rolling stones went on to have 30 years of shit music doesn't mean the doors would have.