Were the Smashing Pumpkins ever concidered grunge?

dan_vedderdan_vedder Posts: 213
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Anyone?

Cheers
Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dan_vedder wrote:
    Anyone?

Cheers

I would say no. But some lumped them into that group when "Gish" 1st came out. I think it's because there was nothing else quite like it. My Bloody Valentine potentially was the closest thing to the pumpkins at that time.
    NERDS!
  • I would say no. But some lumped them into that group when "Gish" 1st came out. I think it's because there was nothing else quite like it. My Bloody Valentine potentially was the closest thing to the pumpkins at that time.

Yea I always thought Gish was a bit grungey, I guess there later stuff is a little different.
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • I consider them grunge because I put all good bands from that time into the grunge category (except Green Day), and the Pumpkins were not simply "rock". Also seeing that grunge was a very loose term, I define it by appearance (flannel, etc.) and original vocals/guitar riffs. Location was coincidence for most bands of this genre ;)
  • They were classed as grunge when they were first noticed in the media,especially live(very loud distortion and sometimes sloppy solos)...kind of like lookout nirvana the pumpkins are coming to get you... but they are and always will be ALTERNATE ROCK!
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Was my arse ever considered smelly?
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Being on the Singles soundtrack with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and AIC probably got them lumped in with "grunge" as well. Personally, I don't think any of the bands labeled as grunge really fit the description. To me, it's all just hard rock. I would put the Pumpkins (and Pearl Jam for that matter) in the same category of music as Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, etc.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,645
    No. They were the definitive "Alternative" band.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    To me they were Alternative!!
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    They were actually part of the "bald rock" movement, along with Tool, Midnight Oil, and William Shatner.

:p
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    yeah i guess they were Alternative.. but i remember Nirvana being called Alternative along w/ grunge.. who knows. i remember that band Belly being alternative too... !!
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    yeah i guess they were Alternative.. but i remember Nirvana being called Alternative along w/ grunge.. who knows. i remember that band Belly being alternative too... !!

I think that grunge is pretty much a slang term for that "Seattle sound" of alternative rock, but it's not really a musical genre in and of itself. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, AiC... all simply alternative if you ask me.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    they weren't even close to grunge. Mudhoney was grunge, Smashing Pumpkins, not so much.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • enharmonic wrote:
    They were actually part of the "bald rock" movement, along with Tool, Midnight Oil, and William Shatner.

LOL!! That's the category for the Pumpkins!!! Well, From Mellon Collie and later anyways...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • JibitiJibiti Posts: 265
    enharmonic wrote:

...and R.E.M. :D
    6.30.06 - Marcus Ampitheatre (Summerfest),
    9.03-04.11 PJ20!!!
    7.19.13 - Wrigley!!!
    10.19.14, 10.20.14 (Yield!!)
  • someone define grunge
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    their image was totally ´´grunge´´, but their music was very diverse, u can listen the slow alt/grunge melody of Today... the metallic riffs of Zero, the furious-hateful punk sound of bullet with butterfly wings.... and the sweet melody song Disarm... finally, i can´t stand at all corgan voice...
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    Being on the Singles soundtrack with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and AIC probably got them lumped in with "grunge" as well. Personally, I don't think any of the bands labeled as grunge really fit the description. To me, it's all just hard rock. I would put the Pumpkins (and Pearl Jam for that matter) in the same category of music as Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, etc.
    ^^

pumpkins closer to the cure and the industrial scene and pj closer to zeppelin.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I think part of their run had to be considered grunge if only because of their ridiculously good album "Siamese Dream"
    What?!? No, We can't stop here, this is bat country.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    Siamese Dream, their best album.....
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    To me, the Pumpkins were always an alternative band.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Jibiti wrote:
    ...and R.E.M. :D

R.E.M. were actually in a sub-genre of "bald rock" known as "bald and homosexual" rock...which is something like Live's "bald and look at me, I'm kinda spiritual" rock, just not as contrived.

They all aspire to the greatness that is William "The Shat" Shatner.

:D