it's official ... I'M OLD...

blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
edited December 2006 in Other Music
last 3 cds i bought were the allman brothers, rod stewart, and eric clapton. any sugestions on which new band to take a chance on?
*~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• new bands suck ass ....for the most part
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    don't concern yourself with the age of your music. it should always be about quality.
  • new bands suck ass ....for the most part

those are my thoughts too. i've tried to get into new bands but i just can't. and i know good tunes are good no matter their age, but i'm listening to my parents music at this point. it tickles me.

• bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Here is proof that good music is timeless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4DV-5d6a5g

These guys are probably 70 now and cooler than any hipster kid listening to the crap thats out now
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQ wrote:

These guys are probably 70 now and cooler than any hipster kid listening to the crap thats out now

Haha, I have always loved the Kinks. One of the great live bands ever, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEVVdZgnzrc

They were pretty much the first punk band, too. (Ray Davies is about 62, I think, and still rocks!)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    evidently this is a problem in this case :P quality is not a word that springs to mind when thinking about Rod Stewart or Eric Clapton.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    Another quality band....T. Rex.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    evidently this is a problem in this case :P quality is not a word that springs to mind when thinking about Rod Stewart or Eric Clapton.

Rod Stewart ok. Bu ERIC CLAPTON? You don't think Eric Clapton is quality? Are you joking?! (Not to judge or anything) But some of Clapton's work freaking defines quality!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • seagoat2 wrote:
    Another quality band....T. Rex.
    hell yeah!! T.Rex is awesome! my dad has that on vinyl, i use to listen to "Rip Off" when i was little. that line where he says "rockin in the nude and feelin such a dude" cracked me up when i was a kid! haha :)

but as far as new bands go... it certainly is slim pickins, but i've gotten into The Arctic Monkeys. good tunes and catchy lyrics.
    1998 : 9/19
    2000 : 9/4
    2003 : 7/1
    2006 : 5/30
    2007 : 8/5
    2008 : 6/17; 6/19; 6/20; 6/22; 6/24; 6/25; 8/16 (EV); 8/21 (EV); 8/22 (EV)
    2009 : 6/11 (EV); 6/12 (EV); 8/23; 8/24; 10/27; 10/28; 10/30; 10/31
    2010 : 5/13
    2012 : 9/2; 9/21; 11/27 (EV); 11/28 (EV)
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Many of us on this here board would recommend the Drive-by Truckers...
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • rod stewart huh?

well, i'm a big Phil Collins fan, so i guess i can't talk.

if you haven't checked out the strokes, do so.
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    brand new
    the strokes
    rise against
    interpol
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• death cab for cutie
    minus the bear
  • clapton is da shit. lol. wish i could've seen him in charlottesville this year.

thanks for all the suggestions. next time i'm itching to buy a cd i'll check back on this thread. i'm thinking it'll be soon too, because i average two cds a month.

• Sparta...best thing since the 90's. ;)
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I'm not the youngest either, but I like the Raconteurs; basically anything Jack White does, so far. You could get Broken Boy Soldiers (go listen to clips on itunes or something first). TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain - quite good.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Man, I knew I was old when some little dude handed me a " World's greatest Dad " Coffee mug for Father's day one year.

Other than that, I would say that I've been slowly getting into the Dead after disliking them for many years - That just means I'm clearly getting older -
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Here are some good new bands. I agree though most of the mainstream radio music is awful.

Here aew some Good bands though:

Burden Brothers (Toadies fans... it's Vaden Todd Lewis's new band).
    Eagles of Death metal
    Wolfmother
    My morning Jacket
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    red mos wrote:
    Here are some good new bands. I agree though most of the mainstream radio music is awful.

Here aew some Good bands though:

Eagles of Death metal

I agree ....You've got good taste

Yours Truly,
    Axl Rose
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the killers

army of anyone

modest mouse

fall out boy
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    Wolfmother - very classic rock Led Zeppelin sound

Eagles of Death Metal - they described themselves best as rock music that strippers would be able to dance to. very unique and fun.
  • Guillemots, that's all that needs to be said.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    wait... one of the first CDs I bought, when I was 17, was Eric Clapton Unplugged. i'm 30 now, so... I must be ready for retirement soon then, huh?
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

the quality of the allmans & clapton superceeded my personal dislike for rod stewart, so i figure my comment was justified. but really, you don't like clapton? aw well, to each his own, i suppose.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    yosi wrote:
    Rod Stewart ok. Bu ERIC CLAPTON? You don't think Eric Clapton is quality? Are you joking?! (Not to judge or anything) But some of Clapton's work freaking defines quality!
    I'm sorry I just hate the guy :) I think he is an incredibly limited and vastly overrated guitarist. He is so middle-of-the-road now its unbelievable, his rootsy blues shtick is just boring. The last good song Clapton wrote is Layla and that doesn't even compare to Cream, who I never thought were as good as people say anyway. I'm sure some love him but I just can't stand him.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    bharQ wrote:

The Kinks are one of the greatest bands ever. Anyone trying to write songs should give them a thoroughly good seeing to. And I'm not just saying that because Ray Davies is from the same area of North London as me and I've met him a few times :-) Was gonna see him last month before he fell ill. It's been put back to March now..

Get well soon Raymondio.

Tired of Waiting is sublime.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I'm sorry I just hate the guy :) I think he is an incredibly limited and vastly overrated guitarist. He is so middle-of-the-road now its unbelievable, his rootsy blues shtick is just boring. The last good song Clapton wrote is Layla and that doesn't even compare to Cream, who I never thought were as good as people say anyway. I'm sure some love him but I just can't stand him.
    All I can think to say is that you are a douche bag maybe when you get out of diapers you'll have gained some taste.
    #FHP
  • You need to broaden your horizons. We may not have the 60's and 70's, but there are plenty of good bands out now. Music is not dead.

Widespread Panic
    Tea Leaf Green
    Phish
    RAQ
    Umphrey's McGee
    moe.
    Trey Anastasio

The listen goes on. http://www.jambase.com
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

I wasn't gonna say all that, but I do feel like a lot of people hail clapton as the best guitarist of all time. I've got plenty of respect for him, but most of his music doesn't do it for me. A lot of blues doesn't cuz it all sounds alike. Same thing goes for SRV.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Horos wrote:
    All I can think to say is that you are a douche bag maybe when you get out of diapers you'll have gained some taste.
    excuse me. I'm allowed a fucking opinion. Deal with it. at what point did I insult you? I may be 18 but I'm pretty damn sure my music tastes are considerably better than yours if you felt the need to respond like this to my opinions about Eric Clapton. Oh and notice, I still haven't resorted to childish insults. You think I have shit taste?

How are Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Godspeed you black emperor!, Fugazi, Big Black, Husker Du, Zeppelin, The Who, The small faces, The Velvet Underground, Nick Drake, Pharaoh Sanders, Jimi Hendrix, Tool, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Faith no More, Neil Young and Leonard Cohen for you?

Seems to me like you are the immature person here. Next time you disagree with someone, get over it. My post had nothing to do with you so if you disagree, walk away. Get a life.