Some help please.................suggest ions needed......

JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Hi folks. Not sure if I'm posting on the right forum but here goes.

One of my best girlfriends is getting married in March and rang me to ask if I would do a reading at the ceremony. I was honored to have been asked and accepted! :)

But then she also said, "I don't suppose I could get you to sing a song too?"

Now I do sing in public but mostly on stage where there are lights and I can't see the whites of the audiences eyes!!! Singing to a more intimate group of people would make me very nervous. I agreed I might if I could find an appropriate song to sing. I'm not a big romantic type chic and have no time for diva type songs. DON'T DO AND CAN'T STAND Whitney, Celine and the others. I can only sing songs that I believe in. I've got a rock chic type voice I suppose. Do ok with things that need to be belted out. Heart, some Alanis, Melissa Etheridge that kind of thing. And I can manage the odd Jewel song.

So getting to my question. Do you guys have any ideas about what I could sing that would be "romantic" and appropriate for an intimate wedding without me feeling like I'm Celine sinking on the Titanic? :D

I'd really appreciate some help...............................:)
NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
The currents will shift
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Anybody? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    If you can sing Jewel, maybe You Were Meant For Me might be a good one, I personally really like her song Standing Still, but not sure if that one fits the moment as well.

I suppose you should sing a song that fits the couple, so if you don't have to be all over the top romantic, just choose one of their favorite songs, that you know you can sing and have fun with.

If you want to do a PJ tune, maybe throw out a version of Faithful where you change the lyrics a little to match the couple, that might work nicely.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    If you can sing Jewel, maybe You Were Meant For Me might be a good one, I personally really like her song Standing Still, but not sure if that one fits the moment as well.

I suppose you should sing a song that fits the couple, so if you don't have to be all over the top romantic, just choose one of their favorite songs, that you know you can sing and have fun with.

If you want to do a PJ tune, maybe throw out a version of Faithful where you change the lyrics a little to match the couple, that might work nicely.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Thanks!! Just a bit lost really. I'll have a look at those two, Standing Still and Faithful and see how I go! Want to try to find something that I can sing easily but most importantly suits them. Difficult to come up with! :eek:
    Really appreciate your input. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Jeanie wrote:
    Thanks!! Just a bit lost really. I'll have a look at those two, Standing Still and Faithful and see how I go! Want to try to find something that I can sing easily but most importantly suits them. Difficult to come up with! :eek:

My friends had Dosed by the Chili pepers as their first song at their wedding, would be a real good choice.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    Jeanie wrote:

No problem, I hope I helped a little, and again have fun with it, I am sure that is all your friend wants from you.
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
    My friends had Dosed by the Chili pepers as their first song at their wedding, would be a real good choice.

I'll add it to the list I'm making. Have a listen. The groom would probably like it, not sure about the bride though! She's not a fan of the Chillis. Thanks! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    No problem, I hope I helped a little, and again have fun with it, I am sure that is all your friend wants from you.

Yeah, you did! And I'll try to have fun, but I don't know, might need a bevy or too first!! She seems to think I can sing!! :D Silly girl!! I told her drunken karaoke doesn't count but she's not going for it!! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Anybody else? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Sarah Harmer - Open Window (The Wedding Song)

.....Sarah is a Canadian singer/songwriter - she wrote this song for her friends wedding. It appears on her album "You Were Here".....it is a great song and is obviously very appropriate for a wedding performance.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    Todd76 wrote:

.....Sarah is a Canadian singer/songwriter - she wrote this song for her friends wedding. It appears on her album "You Were Here".....it is a great song and is obviously very appropriate for a wedding performance.

Thanks Todd. I've put it on my list and I'll check it out. Appreciate your input. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    bumping along! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Anybody else have any ideas for me? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    birthday song- ben lee.

though i have to say that song sounds like a bitch to sing.
    birthday song- ben lee.

though i have to say that song sounds like a bitch to sing.

Thanks soulsinging.:) Added it to the list. Will check it out! Maybe a couple of glasses of champers would get me through it! ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    If I Should Fall Behind-Bruce Springsteen
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    TrixieCat wrote:
    If I Should Fall Behind-Bruce Springsteen

Thanks TrixieCat!! Putting it on the list! :) How are you btw?
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Need all the help and suggestions I can get peoples!! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I've been racking my brains, but I just thought, ask them if they have a song they would like to sing.
    Thanks cutback, that's a good idea! Although she's just as likely to say Chiquitita by ABBA!! :eek: Just to mess with my head. I just thought if I got a list together and had a bit of a practice, I could work out which ones suit my range and that I am the most comfortable with and then I could ask them to pick. Anway, I'll see if I'm brave enough to ask outright which song. Just not real sure that she won't torment me with her answer!! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • China - Tori Amos
    Thanks saturnal, I've put it on my list. Which is getting bigger!! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Dum de dum....la la la lala!! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Todd76 wrote:

This is the best song!! It's so beautiful!!! A friend of mine used it at her wedding and it was simply gorgeous! The song isn't terribly well known, so they had a copy of the lyrics in the wedding program....a very nice touch I thought!
    prljamgirl wrote:
    This is the best song!! It's so beautiful!!! A friend of mine used it at her wedding and it was simply gorgeous! The song isn't terribly well known, so they had a copy of the lyrics in the wedding program....a very nice touch I thought!

Sounds really good prljamgirl! Thanks for adding that! I'll hunt for it. Thank you. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    My buddies uncle used Matthew Good Band - Change of Season and it was a real hit. Fairly easy to sing too.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    ben harper: forever
    snow patrol: you are all that i have
    buckcherry: crazy bitch... hehehehe ;)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Well, Miss Jeannie, I just noticed this thread, and I have these ideas.
    When my wifelet and I were married in a very small, us plus 8 friends, very informal ceremony on Wategoes Beach at Byron Bay, I did happen to play Wishlist, cos it's very positive, light and easy and seemed to fit the mood just nice.
    Someone else mentioned FAithful, and teh Line "and I will be faithful to you" would be lovely
    HAve a look at RHCP "Hard to Concentrate", 3rd track on side 2 of Stadium Arcadium, it's very pretty and has some very nice lyrics suited to a wedding.
    The vocal style might not suit you though, I'm not sure.
    Music is not a competetion.
    MCG wrote:
    My buddies uncle used Matthew Good Band - Change of Season and it was a real hit. Fairly easy to sing too.

Ta muchly MCG. (Sorry have to have a wee giggle MCG being the Melbourne Cricket Ground and the first thing that springs to mind when I see your log in! :) ) Any way, thank you. I'll add your suggestion to my list. Much appreciated. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    ben harper: forever
    snow patrol: you are all that i have
    buckcherry: crazy bitch... hehehehe ;)

Thanks soulsinging, the first two look good but might skip the last one!
    No need to aggravate the bride!! Dangerous game to play that. Aggravating the bride!! ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Well, Miss Jeannie, I just noticed this thread, and I have these ideas.
    When my wifelet and I were married in a very small, us plus 8 friends, very informal ceremony on Wategoes Beach at Byron Bay, I did happen to play Wishlist, cos it's very positive, light and easy and seemed to fit the mood just nice.
    Someone else mentioned FAithful, and teh Line "and I will be faithful to you" would be lovely
    HAve a look at RHCP "Hard to Concentrate", 3rd track on side 2 of Stadium Arcadium, it's very pretty and has some very nice lyrics suited to a wedding.
    The vocal style might not suit you though, I'm not sure.

Ah lucy that sounds like the perfect day! :)
    And I have to laugh at the Miss Jeanie!! Sounds very much like my friends!! :D

And we doo love Byron. Haven't been for awhile. Probably 2003 I think. Due to go to QLD in a few months, might drive the hire car down for another little peek at Byron then. Usually find myself doing that! :)

So thanks for the suggestions. I'll add them to the list too. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift