Bob Dylan vs. Neil Young

parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
edited April 2007 in Other Music
So, yesterday I went to the Bob Dylan show in Amsterdam, which was really great!

About 6 years ago I've seen Neil Young live, also really nice to watch. Been a fan of both guys...but at the moment I like Neil Young better than Bob Dylan.

Neil still has a better voice than Bob and 2nd, I think over 40 years Neil made more better albums and songs than Bob. What's your preference?
♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    neil young. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    neil young. Bob dylan has an awful voice its very monotone
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I think Dylan is a better lyricist than Young, but for the most part I enjoy Neil Young's music a lot more.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    uncle neil
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Neil Young.

That said they are both great. bob is more of a poet then neil will ever be BUT what puts neil over the top is actually his lyrics. Perhaps not as witty as bob's they are very easy to relate to. Neil paints an overall picture and feel with his music. That is what i love.

Neil always says he is trying to capture the moment and he suceeds.

Neil Slays bob on guitar too.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    intodeep wrote:
    Neil Slays bob on guitar too.

Neil slays almost everyone on guitar. His lack of technical ability almost becomes a moot point when you listen to something like Danger Bird or Cortez the Killer or Down by the River.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    Bob, no contest. I like Uncle Neil too, though.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • I can't think of Bob and Neil in terms of either/or. Both/and is better. One complements the other. Bob's an infinitely more mature, considered and perceptive lyricist than nearly every other songwriter since the beginning of recorded sound, but Neil has a strong sense of melody, which is often absent from some of Bob's wordier compositions.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Neil Young. Listen to 'Old Man' from Massey Hall. AMAZING.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    Neil Young, no question
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    seems I'm going to be the only (or at least first) one to say it:

Dylan. Peerless.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    As much as I love Uncle Neil and all of his music, he is certainly no Bob Dylan.

It's unfair to compare anyone to Dylan.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • keyser_sozekeyser_soze Posts: 205
    i think both of their acoustic stuff is amazing, although i do prefer neil's slightly, and i definitely prefer neil's electric stuff and have enjoyed neil's recent albums (greendale, prairie wind, living with war) more than bobs (even though, as usual, bob sells more records and gets more critical acclaim than neil)

favourite albums of both musicians:

bob - the freewheelin' bob dylan, times they are a-changing', blonde on blonde, new morning, blood on the tracks, desire, highway 61 revisited

neil - everybody knows this is nowhere, after the goldrush, harvest, zuma, tonight's the night, rust never sleeps, ragged glory, harvest moon, mirrorball, greendale, prairie wind, living with war
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Bob, no contest. I like Uncle Neil too, though.
    right on.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    neil... i'd say by quite a bit. If I only compared his more folky/country acoustic stuff that alone would be enough for me to choose him.... so the fact that he put out Weld, Freedom and Ragged Glory and had a huge influence (not to say bob didn't) on a lot of my favorite music from the early 90s and even now only adds to it
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    Neil.. I love them both but definitely Neil for me:)
  • I'm not a fan of either's voice, but if I had to pick, I'd go Neil Young. As soon as I heard Cortez the Killer, the debate became mute. One of my favorite intros ever. How the heck didn't this song make his greatest hit cd??? But I must say, Dylan writes better lyrics.
    Something never thought you'd be part of
  • snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    Uncle Neil. I love Dylan as well, but I like Neil better. As sloppy as he is on guitar, he still sounds great.
  • Love them both so much... They'd both be in my top 5..

I think Neil's longevity as a performer might put him a bit ahead of Dylan.. Dylan's lost his voice as you all know :(

I love Dylan's voice and think he's one of the best live performers to ever take the stage (or he was), but the same goes for Neil.

I won't choose.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • rhinomagic wrote:
    As much as I love Uncle Neil and all of his music, he is certainly no Bob Dylan.

It's unfair to compare anyone to Dylan.

Lyrically, I'd agree with you 100%.

"Make our day"
  • parel jam wrote:
    So, yesterday I went to the Bob Dylan show in Amsterdam, which was really great!

About 6 years ago I've seen Neil Young live, also really nice to watch. Been a fan of both guys...but at the moment I like Neil Young better than Bob Dylan.

Neil still has a better voice than Bob and 2nd, I think over 40 years Neil made more better albums and songs than Bob. What's your preference?

I´m 100,1 % with you
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • neil young
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Boss302Boss302 Posts: 69
    Dylan all the way. Highway 61 is, in my humble opinion, the best album of all time. Well, that should stir the proverbial pot.
    And you may see me today
    with an illegal smile
    it don't cost very much
    but it lasts a long while
    won't you please tell the man
    i didn't kill anyone
    i'm just tryin to have me some fun
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Wow, the discussion is rolling...keep on going!

So far, most of board fans like Neil better...
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • dylan and its not even close
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • parel jam wrote:

So far, most of board fans like Neil better...

No surprises there, though. They would, wouldn't they? He's in very much more similar sonic and emotional terrain to PJ, than Dylan. Plus, many PJ fans have had more exposure to Neil's music because of PJ.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    definatly dylan. no question about it and by a large margin. just a way better songwriter, and a much better body of work. i'm a neil young fan too but when comparing him to bob dylan you just can't do it. i'm actually very surprised to see how many people on here are saying they prefer neil....i wonder if it has anything to do with his relationship with pearl jam.
  • definatly dylan. no question about it and by a large margin. just a way better songwriter, and a much better body of work. i'm a neil young fan too but when comparing him to bob dylan you just can't do it. i'm actually very surprised to see how many people on here are saying they prefer neil....i wonder if it has anything to do with his relationship with pearl jam.
    Maybe,.. but more likely because a lot of the big things about Neil Young are in Pearl Jam's blood. Long, amazing jams, simple effective melodies, dynamic, etc.

In a nutshell..

Bob Dylan - Writer

Neil Young - Overall musician and performer

Those are their big strengths I think.

And on second thought I'd take Dylan by a small margin.

"Make our day"
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i wonder if it has anything to do with his relationship with pearl jam.

not for me no.. i guess its all subjective.. but I just really connect more with Neil's work.. and like I said before I think the huge reason for me is how there are 2 very different sides to Neil.. both of which I love... the tame folk influenced songwriter and the feedback driven grunge warrior lol.. but hey thats just me
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    bharQ wrote:
    not for me no.. i guess its all subjective.. but I just really connect more with Neil's work.. and like I said before I think the huge reason for me is how there are 2 very different sides to Neil.. both of which I love... the tame folk influenced songwriter and the feedback driven grunge warrior lol.. but hey thats just me

me too. :D