The White Album is just amazing.

2»

Comments

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    my favorite is anthology 3!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • I love this album. I fuckin broke disc 1. RAAAAR. I was just thinkin about it again the other day... Great album.

1) Helter Skelter

2) Glass Onion

3) Dear Prudence

4) I'm so Tired

5) Revolution 1

by the way, has anyone ever seen Gov't Mule play "I'm so Tired"? It's freakin AWESOME. I saw them do it at the Beacon Theater a few years ago, and I'm goin again on the 29th. Can't wait. But anyway, they rock the song all the way to the last chorus. But they don't play the last chorus. They give the drummer a 10 minute solo, everyone else is long gone off the stage. The drummer blows your mind for a while... Then everyone comes back and plays the "GIVE YOU EVERYTHING I GOT FOR A LITTLE PIECE OF MIND." You almost completely forget they were playing the song in the first place.

GREATNESS.
  • I'm not sure if I agree with this. I know where your coming from. It's not a song, it's a tape loop collage. PJ's Stupid Mop always remined me of this. do these tracks make the albums better? probably not. but i think they're essiental to the overall feel to the albums they're on. the beauty of the White album is the diveristy in the tracks. do I listen to Revolution 9 everytime i listen to the white album? of course not. but when I do, it serves its purpose and I enjoy it. just like Foxymophandlemama.

"They all knew, as time went by, they'd get a little bit older and little bit slower"

good post. and i know stuidmop is kind of like it, but i think it's better, actually. stupidmop is actually a more listenable track, especially when the bass and drums kick in. it's quite good. revolution 9 is just plain annoying, imo. :D
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • aBoxOfFear wrote:
    good post. and i know stuidmop is kind of like it, but i think it's better, actually. stupidmop is actually a more listenable track, especially when the bass and drums kick in. it's quite good. revolution 9 is just plain annoying, imo. :D

I agree that Stupid Mop is a better track. In fact, I would love to hear an instrumental track of it with the little girl's voice taken out, just to see what it's like.

I have to admit that I stick up for Revolution 9 more than it probably deserves. thing is, I got into the Beatles pretty young by listening to my dad's vinyls when I was like 5 years old. I still vividly remember my first listening of this track on my first ever play through of disc 2. I didn't know what the fuck to think and I wasn't (and I'm still not) sure if I liked it. But I know I was definitely intrested in it. that much i'm sure of.

"Block that kick! block that kick! block that kick! block that kick! block that kick!............."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • aBoxOfFear wrote:
    i think if they made the white album a single rather than a double, it would have been their best. that's my critical opinion of it. it is what it is and i love it, but it's like ringo said "there's a lot of information on a double album. it should have been 2 records. the white and the whiter album." :D
    so in my humble opinion it should have been almost all of disc 1(minus wild honey pie, why don't we do it in the road, bungalow bill), and then 4 or 5 of the best tracks from disc 2. revolution 9 is just plain stupid. there's no need for revolution 1, the faster version is the only one you need. savoy truffle, mother nature's son, goodnight, etc. these songs hurt the album. they could have been b-sides or something. this is what i think the white album should have been:

Back in the U.S.S.R.
    Dear Prudence
    Glass Onion
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    Martha My Dear
    I'm so tired
    Blackbird
    Piggies
    Rocky Raccoon
    Don't Pass Me By
    Helter Skelter
    Sexy Sadie
    I Will
    Julia

sacrilidge!!!
    i LOVE the white album...as IS. it is what it should be, what the beatles wanted and meant it to be...plain and simple. i also happen to adore why don't we do it in the road in particular, of tracks you think filler....and mother nature's son is just beautiful!

*shakes head* :p
    yes of course...you are entitled to your opinion...and me, mine.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Hmmm, fun...

Piggies
    Martha My Dear
    Honey Pie
    Julia
    Cry Baby Cry
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    why don't we do it in the road?

revolution #9
  • sacrilidge!!!
    i LOVE the white album...as IS. it is what it should be, what the beatles wanted and meant it to be...plain and simple. i also happen to adore why don't we do it in the road in particular, of tracks you think filler....and mother nature's son is just beautiful!

*shakes head* :p
    yes of course...you are entitled to your opinion...and me, mine.

actually, you're wrong. it isn't what the beatles meant it to be. did you know that john slipped revolution 9 in there without everyone's consent?? i remember paul saying how he didn't know until afterwards that john had it put on the album, and he wasn't happy about it. and honestly, i go back and forth on it. sometimes i love it the way it is, and sometimes i wish it was made into a great single album, minus the weaker songs. i too like 'why don't we do it in the road' and mother natures son' but in my version of a perfect single album, i would leave those tracks off and make them b-sides. but again, don't get me wrong, i too love the white album for what it is, i'm just a bit of a perfectionist and can't help but offer my opinion of what a perfect album it could have been. but i guess that's part of the appeal of the white album. it isn't perfect. it's weird, it's diverse, and it has a little bit of everything on it. i guess i should just take paul's advise when he said "it's the bloody beatles, it sold, shut up." :D
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    The time the Beatles spent in India is where most of the album was written. Donovan was there, mike love and a few movie stars etc..
    Won't it be great now to see Eddie and boys,Noel Gallagher and a few others go on holiday some place and just write music. People rarely jam with each other these days too.
  • i could listen to don't pass me by on a constant loop and not get sick of it.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • aBoxOfFear wrote:
    actually, you're wrong. it isn't what the beatles meant it to be. did you know that john slipped revolution 9 in there without everyone's consent?? i remember paul saying how he didn't know until afterwards that john had it put on the album, and he wasn't happy about it. and honestly, i go back and forth on it. sometimes i love it the way it is, and sometimes i wish it was made into a great single album, minus the weaker songs. i too like 'why don't we do it in the road' and mother natures son' but in my version of a perfect single album, i would leave those tracks off and make them b-sides. but again, don't get me wrong, i too love the white album for what it is, i'm just a bit of a perfectionist and can't help but offer my opinion of what a perfect album it could have been. but i guess that's part of the appeal of the white album. it isn't perfect. it's weird, it's diverse, and it has a little bit of everything on it. i guess i should just take paul's advise when he said "it's the bloody beatles, it sold, shut up." :D

and that would be YOUR version of 'perfection'...not mine. i think it IS perfect, as is. :) thus, differing perspectives.

not to totally get off topic...but almost every band, pearl jam most definitely included...has tracks i like a lot less, or not at all, on their albums. however, i see them as their vision, what they wanted...and it's fine by me.

i must say though, with the beatles.....it is FAR more rare for me to find fault. yes, i think their work is THAT good, and stands the test of time quite well.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• My Top Ten off the White Album are

Happiness is a Warm Gun
    Sexy Sadie
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    I'm So Tired
    Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey
    Don't Pass Me By
    Dear Prudence
    Rocky Raccoon
    Helter Skelter
    Good Night
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • I love this album, Hell, even Phish could make this music sound good:)

1. Back in the U.S.S.R.
    2. Glass Onion
    3. Happiness Is a Warm Gun
    4. Dear Prudence
    5. Sexy Sadie
    6. I'm So Tired
    7. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    8. Why Don't We Do It in the Road?
    9. Piggies
    10. Mother Nature's Son

I almost forgot how good this album was, damn, the Beatles rocked~!
  • 1. everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey (best beatles song ever, btw)
    2. Happiness is a warm gun
    3. Long, Long, Long
    4. Helter Skelter
    5. ?
    everything=3

2-1-0

4-3-2-1-0
    2---2--3---3--2----1

2-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-0

M
  • 1. everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey (best beatles song ever, btw)

worst Beatles song ever in my opinion. to each his own I guess
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com