The White Album is just amazing.

Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,846
edited December 2006 in Other Music
So why the heck don't we all name our top 5 favorites off it?

mine:

1. Helter Skelter
2. Back in the USSR
3. Sexy Sadie
4. Yer Blues
5. Cry Baby Cry

fuck it.......gotta go 10. can't have any five way ties for fifth

6. Martha My Dear
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
8. I'm So Tired
9. Piggies
10.Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill

honorable mention: everything else
2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    2. Cry Baby Cry
    3. Helter Skelter
    4. Rocky Raccoon
    5. Revolution 1

I gotta make it 10 too ....

6. I'm So Tired
    7. Long Long Long
    8. Sexy Sadie
    9. Piggies
    10. Don't Pass Me By
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • 1. obla-di obla-da
    2. helter skelter
    3. wild honey pie
    4. back in the ussr
    5. bungalow bill
    6. while my guitar gently weeps
    7. happiness is a warm gun
    8. sexy sadie
    9. im so tired
    10. glass onion

damn there are a lot of good songs on there , it took a while to type!!!

I GOT BLISTERS ON MA FINGAS!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24

• I GOT BLISTERS ON MA FINGAS!

the greatest metal song of all time.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    1. im so tired
    2. while my guitar gently weeps
    3. dear prudence
    4. yer blues
    5. everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey
  • I just can't get into the white album, and neither can my husband. I guess it's a good thing we found each other, since apparently no one else in the world shares this opinion. ;):D
  • qwerty1qwerty1 Posts: 142
    I just can't get into the white album, and neither can my husband. I guess it's a good thing we found each other, since apparently no one else in the world shares this opinion. ;):D

I really think you 2 should be bannished to an island in the antarctic!!! Not liking the White Album is like not liking to breath air! :)

Im kidding of corse! :)
    This sidewalk is for regular walking, not for fancy walking!
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Why don't we do it in the road?
    Happiness is a warm gun

Haven't listened to it in about 10 years but these two stand out.
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    The White Album is wonderful, but Rubber Soul is my favorite.
  • One of the best Beatles albums, but nothing beats Magical Mystery Tour in my book ;)
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • EBowie wrote:
    Rubber Soul is my favorite.

Now that one, I like. :)
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for me and my Monkey
    Blackbird
    Mother Nature's Son
    I Will
    Cry Baby Cry
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    1 While my Guitar gentley weeps
    2 Why don't we do it in the road
    3 Back in the USSR
    4 Dear Prudence
    5 Helter Skelter
    6 Blackbird
    7 I'm so tired
    8 goodnight
    9 Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    10 Piggies
  • i think if they made the white album a single rather than a double, it would have been their best. that's my critical opinion of it. it is what it is and i love it, but it's like ringo said "there's a lot of information on a double album. it should have been 2 records. the white and the whiter album." :D
    so in my humble opinion it should have been almost all of disc 1(minus wild honey pie, why don't we do it in the road, bungalow bill), and then 4 or 5 of the best tracks from disc 2. revolution 9 is just plain stupid. there's no need for revolution 1, the faster version is the only one you need. savoy truffle, mother nature's son, goodnight, etc. these songs hurt the album. they could have been b-sides or something. this is what i think the white album should have been:

Back in the U.S.S.R.
    Dear Prudence
    Glass Onion
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    Martha My Dear
    I'm so tired
    Blackbird
    Piggies
    Rocky Raccoon
    Don't Pass Me By
    Helter Skelter
    Sexy Sadie
    I Will
    Julia
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    I think that they were right to have left it as a double.Why not , such great texture on that album
  • fada wrote:
    I think that they were right to have left it as a double.Why not , such great texture on that album

i know what you're saying. but critically speaking, if it had been a single album, with the best tracks, it would probably have been the single best album they ever made. disc 1 is far superior to disc 2, in my opinion. disc 2 has a lot of filler. a lot of tracks that could have been b-sides. it still could have had 15, 16 songs on it. i mean seriously, how often does anyone listen to the white album all the way through, every single time they listen to it. i doubt anyone here can say they don't skip songs like revolution 9 or honey pie.
  • its a flawless record, the beatles are king, everything they did is great but the white album is the best of the best. I remember whne I bought it, the clerk at the store said "this album will change your life", needless to say, it did.

It expresses with little political statements what life was like in the late 60's.
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    i know what you're saying. but critically speaking, if it had been a single album, with the best tracks, it would probably have been the single best album they ever made. disc 1 is far superior to disc 2, in my opinion. disc 2 has a lot of filler. a lot of tracks that could have been b-sides. it still could have had 15, 16 songs on it. i mean seriously, how often does anyone listen to the white album all the way through, every single time they listen to it. i doubt anyone here can say they don't skip songs like revolution 9 or honey pie.

Have John should have told yoko no experiment avent garde rubbish now. Although I have to say you would listen to it.
    Revoltion was made a b-side and one of the loudest intro's ever.
    I love the innocence of "good night".
    its a flawless record, the beatles are king, everything they did is great but the white album is the best of the best. I remember whne I bought it, the clerk at the store said "this album will change your life", needless to say, it did.

It expresses with little political statements what life was like in the late 60's.
    If only Charlie Manson was stones fan.
  • fada wrote:
    Have John should have told yoko no experiment avent garde rubbish now. Although I have to say you would listen to it.
    Revoltion was made a b-side and one of the loudest intro's ever.
    I love the innocence of "good night".

yes, revolution was a b-side. but on the white album, disc 2, they included revolution 1, which was much slower, softer.

and i actually like goodnight, myself. but 'don't pass me by' is my preferred ringo track. love that one. :)
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    yes, revolution was a b-side. but on the white album, disc 2, they included revolution 1, which was much slower, softer.

and i actually like goodnight, myself. but 'don't pass me by' is my preferred ringo track. love that one. :)
    I love to have heard john's version of the song.
    Had good night on in the car today.

Revoltion 1 is like a pub version rehearshal of the song
    Let's just say that it's a good thing they kept it a double album. I admit, I rarely listen to Revolution 9, but it's all the songs that make this such a great album. And I personally love Savoy Truffle, Honey Pie and Good Night.
    Yeah savoy truffle what a song that is.
  • aBoxOfFear wrote:
    revolution 9 is just plain stupid.

I'm not sure if I agree with this. I know where your coming from. It's not a song, it's a tape loop collage. PJ's Stupid Mop always remined me of this. do these tracks make the albums better? probably not. but i think they're essiental to the overall feel to the albums they're on. the beauty of the White album is the diveristy in the tracks. do I listen to Revolution 9 everytime i listen to the white album? of course not. but when I do, it serves its purpose and I enjoy it. just like Foxymophandlemama.

"They all knew, as time went by, they'd get a little bit older and little bit slower"

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    fada wrote:
    Yeah savoy truffle what a song that is.
    I know it's not the greatest, but it, along w/ Honey Pie shows how experimental John and Paul were with their music; they weren't confined to one era.
  • the greatest metal song of all time.
    amen. i was on a helter skelter kick a few weeks ago, couldn't get enough of that song.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I just can't get into the white album, and neither can my husband. I guess it's a good thing we found each other, since apparently no one else in the world shares this opinion. ;):D

can't get into it? i've never even heard it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I quite like the Esher sessions: the acoustic demos for The White Album, recorded at George's house after the band got back from India, and before the band went in the studio. George's song Sour Milk Sea is like Savoy Truffle but with more balls. It would have been a killer song on the final album, if recorded properly.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    the choice is obvious for me, my favourite by a LONG shot is:

Long, Long, Long (my fav Beatles song)

followed by:

Blackbird
    I Will
    Julia
    Honey Pie
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • amen. i was on a helter skelter kick a few weeks ago, couldn't get enough of that song.

nice, ever listen to the version on Anthology 3? it's slow with a nice groove to it and Paul's vocals are totally bad-ass. check it out

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • nice, ever listen to the version on Anthology 3? it's slow with a nice groove to it and Paul's vocals are totally bad-ass. check it out
    yup i've heard it, a friend played it for me once....definitely cool vocals