Our Lady Peace, anyone?

2»

Comments

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I admire your passion, but really it's quite irritating. You'd drag these bands into a thread about pizza toppings if someone started one. Have you heard every single song on every album of OLP's?

Canadian indie bands really do make the best pizza ;)

....wtf are you talking about - I really can't think of an instance where I brought up the music i'm into in an inappropriate thread....i do apologize for talking about "Other Music" on an "Other Music" message board

....my little brother owns all the OLP albums - heard 'em all and I think they suck
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Todd76 wrote:
    Canadian indie bands really do make the best pizza ;)

....wtf are you talking about - I really can't think of an instance where I brought up the music i'm into in an inappropriate thread....i do apologize for talking about "Other Music" on an "Other Music" message board

....my little brother owns all the OLP albums - heard 'em all and I think they suck

Don't take everything so literally. Surely you are the first to admit that you do tend to ram all these band names down people's throats, particularly when people mention more popular rock bands? I have no problem with people spreading the word about new bands, but the way you go about it really annoying.
  • haven't followed them so much since Gravity...but I loved them in High School. Plus they were one of the most disappointing live shows I've ever seen...right up there with Incubus.
    "It's all happening"
    Don't take everything so literally. Surely you are the first to admit that you do tend to ram all these band names down people's throats, particularly when people mention more popular rock bands? I have no problem with people spreading the word about new bands, but the way you go about it really annoying.

I didn't take your pizza comment literally - I was just trying to be sarcastic/witty/indie

.....thanks for pointing out that my sharing my musical taste is annoying, I was just "Expanding our musical horizons" by trying to "Share your musical interests by discussing other artists you're hearing"....but I hate things that are annoying - so i'll walk away now with my tail b/w my legs

.....sometimes you have to "ram all these bands down peoples throats" when you are surrounded by threads about Audioslave, RHCP, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, OLP etc etc etc
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642

Funny, I don't think it's annoying. And I happen to totally agree with Todd and Direwolf. I think someone just has an issue here. And I am thinking it is you.
    Cock Fight.
    Todd76 wrote:
    .....sometimes you have to "ram all these bands down peoples throats" when you are surrounded by threads about Audioslave, RHCP, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, OLP etc etc etc

We should play a game one day and see how many threads these bands have.
    Cock Fight.
  • Tek Money wrote:
    Funny, I don't think it's annoying. And I happen to totally agree with Todd and Direwolf. I think someone just has an issue here. And I am thinking it is you.

Not at all. There are plenty of bands who I don't like that people make threads about, I don't go in their threads and start telling people what 'they should be listening to'. I don't need some pretentious snob telling me my taste in music is bad, just cause some of the bands I listen to have shifted a few more records than the bands they like. I'm sure I'd like plenty of the bands that Todd is talking about, but telling me the bands I like are crap is not a good way too get people to listen to them in my opinion. For someone who thinks they are so musically enlightened, he seems incredibly narrorw minded when it comes to some bands. Ok OLP are a commercial sounding band, but for the most part they have decent lyrics and play music that comes from an honest place, which puts them head and shoulders above a lot of the other commercial shit around.

Todd, if you wanna share your musical tastes with people, how about trying a less aggressive approach and actually tell people about the bands. Who do they sound like, how would you clasify their sound? I for one, would take far more notice of you.
    Tek Money wrote:

Thanks TM....us pretentious-Canadian-indie-music-snobs need to stick together ;)
    Ok OLP are a commercial sounding band, but for the most part they have decent lyrics and play music that comes from an honest place, which puts them head and shoulders above a lot of the other commercial shit around.

Todd, if you wanna share your musical tastes with people, how about trying a less aggressive approach and actually tell people about the bands. Who do they sound like, how would you clasify their sound? I for one, would take far more notice of you.

I'll give you that OLP may be head and shoulders above most of the shit of commercial rock radio - however the shit on the top of the pile is still shit

....my intention wasnt to come on here and slag OLP - it was to draw attention to the fact that a post about a great band/artist was getting totally ignored.

....You suggest that I should post info about these unknown bands (their sound, who they sound like)....but since the post will be lucky to get 10 views and 2 responses - whats the point

....i guess if i want to get attention for these bands/artists i need to go where the action is and hijack an OLP thread

....so here is my little blurb on Eric's Trip (care of Wikipedia) . Eric's Trip were a Canadian indie rock band hailing from Moncton, New Brunswick. They are named after a Sonic Youth song. They emulated the distorted guitar of Dinosaur Jr., the folk leanings of Neil Young, and the lo-fi aesthetic of Sebadoh. Rick White described their sound as "sappy melodic pop music on top of thick distortion."

....and Julie Doiron - I have heard her music referred to a "Bob Dylan on a blind date with Joni Mitchell" . Basically a girl and her guitar....writes intensely personal and beatiful music. The albums I have heard are quite sparse and delicate - however, i have heard she has turned it up a couple notches on her newest album.
  • not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    Todd76 wrote:
    I'll give you that OLP may be head and shoulders above most of the shit of commercial rock radio - however the shit on the top of the pile is still shit

....my intention wasnt to come on here and slag OLP - it was to draw attention to the fact that a post about a great band/artist was getting totally ignored.

Well, based on some of your previous posts, it does seem like your intention to put down OLP. Instead of tearing down a band you dislike, don't post on this thread because you are not contributing anything positive. Why not start a thread about a band you like. I don't think the original poster wanted to know who hates OLP, but to start a discussion about who enjoys their music. Try to be a bit more positive. Thanks! :D

Here you go http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=208207
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • Todd76 wrote:

....You suggest that I should post info about these unknown bands (their sound, who they sound like)....but since the post will be lucky to get 10 views and 2 responses - whats the point

So what is so bad about OLP? Ok they don't fit the indie mould you so clearly judge all bands by, but the lyrics are good and the band have some good rocking music. You are aware you're on a Pearl Jam message board right? Last time I checked they were a commercial rock band. What commercial bands do you like, if any? And yeah, you did come here to push your own agenda about the bands you like, not to comment on the musical merits of this particular band. At the moment I consider your views to be about as valid as a Nickleback fan's views - you seem only capable of entertaining one genre of music.

Like I said, Pearl Jam are a commercial rock band (albeit the best one out there), thus posting threads about obscure bands on PJ's forum may not yield many results. If you wanna engage in discussion about these bands you would probably be better going on one of these band's forums. Seriously I'm perplexed by how you can slag off so many decent alt-rock bands like Soundgarden, and Smashing Pumpkins -surely some of the best of their genre. Arghh I give up, just received some bad news, don't wanna argue with people, just wish you would look at the bigger picture a bit more.
    You are aware you're on a Pearl Jam message board right? Last time I checked they were a commercial rock band. What commercial bands do you like, if any?

Please refer to the "Any Love For Popular Rock Bands" thread, post #28

.....so - did my reviews of the bands that started this whole mess motivate you to rush out and buy their albums ;)

.....sorry to hear about your bad news - i'm not hear to piss people off, it's only music man :)
    Ok OLP are a commercial sounding band, but for the most part they have decent lyrics and play music that comes from an honest place, which puts them head and shoulders above a lot of the other commercial shit around.

What exactly is commercial sounding? I don't judge a band based on whether they sound commercial or not. I judge them based on how good their music is and a small portion on the reason they are making the music. If they are making music to make tonnes of money then I just don't see the heart and soul in that. If you dig OLP that is cool... my best friend likes them... he has horrible taste in music too though :D

And as for decent lyrics... thanks you made me LOL.
    Cock Fight.
  • Tek Money wrote:
    What exactly is commercial sounding? I don't judge a band based on whether they sound commercial or not. I judge them based on how good their music is and a small portion on the reason they are making the music. If they are making music to make tonnes of money then I just don't see the heart and soul in that. If you dig OLP that is cool... my best friend likes them... he has horrible taste in music too though :D

And as for decent lyrics... thanks you made me LOL.

Are you there, and is it comfortable?
    Did you want to escape, try to escape the population?
    The pressure is deceiving,
    And for you particularly should we let a young man die?

Let him die if he wants to?
    I cant live here anymore
    Its hard when you reach for that floor and
    And theres something that tears me inside, so I cant go

Brother are you there?
    Now tell me is it wonderful
    Or were you hoping to find something a little more?

Climbing down the hours I need to know now
    Do the hands of time only rule this chapter
    Ill have to try once again, Ill have to try when I want to
    There hes on his knees again
    Trying hard to understand
    Why naveed would let a young man die
    Convinced that he might break he reaches for that phone
    And then another day has gone
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Talking is just masturbating without the mess . . .
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• I'm a fan. I know they're not Shakespeare or anything, but I enjoy it...

Spiritual Machines is an excellent concept album... other stuff before that is good... I liked the new one, too... Gravity, not so much, except for Not Enough...
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    I heard two songs from them and liked it, I'll probably end up buying "A Decade" or something.