Our Lady Peace, anyone?

EvolutionBoundEvolutionBound Posts: 38
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Any big OLP fans, here? I know a lot of members of the Canadian jamily is down, but as an american, I'm hard-pressed to find some OLP fans. With songs like "Starseed", "Superman's Dead", and "Clumsy", can you go wrong? I challenge you, Can you???
331xxx

Reading 10.01.04
Philadelphia 10.03.05
Camden 05.28.06
Camden 05.29.06
Camden 06.19.08
Philadelphia 10.28.09
New York 05.21.10
Chicago 07.19.13
Philadelphia 04.29.16
Baltimore 03.28.20
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Their album " Decade " is awesome. all great songs on there.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • BUFFALOBUFFALO Posts: 760
    can you go wrong? I challenge you, Can you???[/quote]

someones in the fighting mode lol
    i love olp i have seen them many times . they play alot in buffalo .
    i got to see them when i was livin in orlando ...the show was played at a bar ...couple hundred peeps if that ...it was really cool ....a buddy of mine was shouting out olp olp olp ...nobody in orlando got it olp is not to big down south ...anyway the lead singer shouts back at my buddy ...:"yeah i freakin here ya olp olp olp got it ". it was pretty funny .
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,
    MSG 2 08, Buffalo 10, Hamilton 11

Last two albums sort of lost it for me, but still great band.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Awesome band, I hope they don't split up I still haven't seen them live yet. I know Raine was doing some solo stuff, so hopefully they will get back together some time soon and write another classic album.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I have never heard any of there stuff before... what are they like?
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 965
    I was more of a fan of there earlier stuff, kinda lost interest in last couple of albums.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • I love OLP, but the last album was terrible. Gravity wasn't as good some but it was pretty listenable and enjoyable. The new one I just couldn't get into and I tried. Hopefully they'll tour soon. I've only seen them once and it was opening for Three Dicks Down. I was thinking, wow don't subject yourself to this. Keep playing the small venues and rock people's face off. Hopefully I'll see them again proper.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • Fvck Bob Rock!
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Fvck Bob Rock!

So you're saying the band had nothing to do with those last two records? Last I checked, it was OLP who wrote those songs, not Bob Rock. He may have pushed them in certain directions, or tried out different sounds in the studio, but ultimately it's the band who decides how the songs are going to end up. Especially a veteran band like Our Lady Peace. The only decent albums OLP ever made were Naveed and Clumsy. Their original producer Arnold Lanni co-wrote most of the material on those albums, and I don't think it's a coincidence that once OLP took over the songwriting duties by themselves, their albums got progressively worse. Blaming Bob Rock for the band's slow demise is just silly. The guy set up some mics, twiddled a few knobs, and recorded the songs that THEY wrote. Sometimes it's the band who sucks, and not the producer.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    It's SAD that there is a thread on the board about some incredible Canadian music (Julie Doiron/Eric's Trip) and that post only has 10 views, 2 replies, and is fading FAST....while a thread about a shitty/boring Canadian band like OLP has almost 100 views and a dozen or so replies

.....there is soooo much great NEW music here in Canada these days, but people are all stuck on bands who have long overstayed their welcome and whose best music (if you can actually call it that) is long behind them.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • To be fair, their last record was very well written, it just didn't sound much like an OLP record. If anything it sounded like they were trying to cater to the Coldplay type audiences.
    Todd76 wrote:
    It's SAD that there is a thread on the board about some incredible Canadian music (Julie Doiron/Eric's Trip) and that post only has 10 views, 2 replies, and is fading FAST....while a thread about a shitty/boring Canadian band like OLP has almost 100 views and a dozen or so replies

.....there is soooo much great NEW music here in Canada these days, but people are all stuck on bands who have long overstayed their welcome and whose best music (if you can actually call it that) is long behind them.

As usual, you're right on the money! I couldn't agree more.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I love OLP, had the chance to see them before and they just put on a great show. Gotta love those boys!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I actually like the last OLP cd a lot.
  • i actually thought healthy in paranoid times was better than gravity... i really do miss mike's influence over the songwriting though, and raine is capable of much better vocals than what's been on the last two records. at least their live shows are still the shit.

i agree with the person who said that since lanni stopped being involved they got worse. however, i don't think naveed and clumsy are the best records; i think happiness... and spiritual machines were probably the best two albums they made, and lanni was still around for those. i really do think it was bob rock who pushed the band into the territory of mediocrity they are now in. yeah, they let him do it, so they're to blame as well, but it is his direction and production that furthers it. i remember when they were making gravity, raine had had lyrics written to the songs and when bob rock heard them, made raine rewrite every song so that they were simpler, more direct lyrics (something that OLP was never about). mike turner obviously saw the direction that bob rock was pushing the band in and left... i guess the rest of the group was hoping bob would deliver their "black album." tho i'm pretty sure that's never gonna happen.

i say get lanni back. then beg mike to return.
  • I thought they kicked Mike out because his he looked too old and they wanted a hipper image to appeal to the pop punk skateboarding teenage crowd?
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    So you're saying the band had nothing to do with those last two records? Last I checked, it was OLP who wrote those songs, not Bob Rock. He may have pushed them in certain directions, or tried out different sounds in the studio, but ultimately it's the band who decides how the songs are going to end up. Especially a veteran band like Our Lady Peace. The only decent albums OLP ever made were Naveed and Clumsy. Their original producer Arnold Lanni co-wrote most of the material on those albums, and I don't think it's a coincidence that once OLP took over the songwriting duties by themselves, their albums got progressively worse. Blaming Bob Rock for the band's slow demise is just silly. The guy set up some mics, twiddled a few knobs, and recorded the songs that THEY wrote. Sometimes it's the band who sucks, and not the producer.

Jesus! Everyone here knows you're the biggest Tragically Hip fan on the planet but can't anyone on this board even express a negative opinion on the production of an album? Getting riled up because someone dissed the same guy who may have produced the last Hip' album is going too far.
    Jesus! Everyone here knows you're the biggest Tragically Hip fan on the planet but can't anyone on this board even express a negative opinion on the production of an album? Getting riled up because someone dissed the same guy who may have produced the last Hip' album is going too far.

Riled up?? All I did was state my opinion, which is that OLP's songwriting has gotten progressively worse with each album. I don't think you can totally blame the producer for the band's inability to put out a decent album these days. That's all I was trying to say. You assume that I'm defending Bob Rock just because he produced the latest Hip album, but that's not the case. If you read my original post, I didn't even mention the Hip, and I wasn't thinking about them when I wrote it. I'm simply defending producers in general. In the end it's the songs that define an album, not the production style. If the songs suck, then chances are the album will suck as well, no matter who the producer is.

-Tom Waits
  • i love automatic flower GREAT song

saw OLP open up for Third Eye Blind (also opening was Eve 6)

wow i can't beleive i just wrote that haha

and then saw OLP @ woodstock in 99... That show was pretty kickass except it was at like 3 in the afternoon...
    i am a rhinosaurus and my skin is three feet thick
  • StellyStelly Posts: 170
    I love OLP's first two albums (Naveed, Clumsy). Fantastic stuff. After that they were hit and miss. "Happiness is a Fish..." had some good, some not so good. "Secret Machines" was pretty good...I liked that album. After that, they went way downhill though, in my opinion.
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    no thanks, pass the sugar please. . .

i think they mistakenly thought the canadian audience hadnt heard of/seen smashing pumpkins. . .the singer wanted to be billy corgan so bad its scary. . .and im not even a huge smashing pumpkin fan
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    Todd76 wrote:

dude, probably cause noones ever heard of julie doiron or eric's trip, im much more likely to post about a band ive heard of even if im not a fan, such as the case with this thread. . .i couldnt give you a post about those bands you mentioned if i wanted to
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Todd76 wrote:

I think everyone gets that you like left-field Canadian music, really, there's no need to shoe-horn it into every thread. How would you know if their best music is behind them anyway?
    I think everyone gets that you like left-field Canadian music, really, there's no need to shoe-horn it into every thread. How would you know if their best music is behind them anyway?

shoe-horn it into every thread???? i'm just trying to spread the gospel ;)

You're right......I guess their best music is not yet behind them, as - in my opinion - they have yet to release ANY best/good music. They sucked from day 1 and they just continue to suck.
    dude, probably cause noones ever heard of julie doiron or eric's trip, im much more likely to post about a band ive heard of even if im not a fan, such as the case with this thread. . .i couldnt give you a post about those bands you mentioned if i wanted to

That was kinda my point.....a board member was tryng to draw some attention to an artist/band that will be unknown to most people here.....so rather than wasting your time hanging around an OLP thread, do yourself a favour and go check out something different/new/unknown/amazing
  • not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    Happiness is not a fish that you can catch, is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Last two albums sort of lost it for me, but still great band.

Couldn't agree with you more. I thought each album got better ending with Spiritual Machines. Gravity is not very good, but Healthy in Paranoid Times is almost unlistenable. I hope they ditch Bob Rock. Their sound and style was so much better before he came along. He was suppossed to bring a heavier edge to their music.

Hopefully their next album will be good.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    direwolf74 wrote:

I agree that the band has wrote the music, which has been subpar at best. But, I have to disagree with you on this, Bob Rock pretty much FUBARS everything he touches. I don't think he ever produced anything good, or at least could have been better with someone like Brendan O'Brien at the controls.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • taratara Posts: 293
    Sawyer wrote:
    love them.....i gues rainn is doing solo stuff now

did they break up? i'm not an olp fan now, but who wasn't back in the 90's? i remember going down to much music after school one day to see them do an interview, there were only about 20 of us outside, fun times
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    i'm proud to say i've actually touched raine maida's backside.

hahhaa... was that inappropriate? :o
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Todd76 wrote:
    shoe-horn it into every thread???? i'm just trying to spread the gospel ;)

I admire your passion, but really it's quite irritating. You'd drag these bands into a thread about pizza toppings if someone started one. What's more, your over-enthusiasm and quickness to put other bands down, makes me even less inclined to check out the bands you are talking about. Have you heard every single song on every album of OLP's?