The new Guns N Roses material pisses on anything Slash has done in the past 14 years.

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Just listening to the leaked songs.....

hate to say it but they're pretty good.....

Seems Axl is just fine without his washed up old bandmates.....
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    The new Guns N Roses sounds deciesively meh after 14 years of anticipation, theres 3 catagorys it breaks down into, category 1: songs that sound like they would have been more relevent released 14 years ago in other words dated, category 2: songs that have a Portishead/Massive Attack/Sneaker Pimps style dirgey, merkiness(dont want to use the trip hop word) to them with a rock overture layed on top of them and category 3: Linkin Parkesque electronic intros and synths that just need a little rap verse to make it totally sound like Axl doing a guest spot on one of their albums.

I'm not saying the music is bad I dont mind it, but I think it will grow old fast, what I find annoying is the people around saying that the new stuff is groundbreaking when it's clearly all been done before.

That said There Was A Time is better than anything Slash has done with Velvet Revolver.;)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Best joke thread ever :D
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Not a joke Im afraid.....

I'm not a huge fan of either Axl or Slash, but the new GnR stuff is a lot more interesting than any of the stodge Velvet Revolver put out.....

Who's playing lead for GnR nowdays anyway, because there's some kick ass solos on these tracks.....?
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
    Most of the solos you're hearing are Robin Finck's...who has left the band to return to Nine Inch Nails.
  • Not a joke Im afraid.....

I'm not a huge fan of either Axl or Slash, but the new GnR stuff is a lot more interesting than any of the stodge Velvet Revolver put out.....

Who's playing lead for GnR nowdays anyway, because there's some kick ass solos on these tracks.....?

It's all kind of irrelevant - seeing as how Chinese Democracy is gonna blow up like 'Human Clay' by Creed; sell just as many copies, & be just as forgotten 10 years later.
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    It's all kind of irrelevant - seeing as how Chinese Democracy is gonna blow up like 'Human Clay' by Creed; sell just as many copies, & be just as forgotten 10 years later.

yup
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    Sorry but all I hear is pure crap. There is 3 decent songs but the other 6 are terrible. One song if I didn't know it was gnr I would swear it was the Bee Gee's.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    i don't think much of IRS but i think the rest are great, some stronger than others but i guess that comes down to taste. better, madagascar (which has really grown on me), there was a time & rhian and the bedouins are really pushing my buttons.

appetite & the use your illusions have withstood the test time & still sound fresh to me today so hopefully axl will be able to work the same magic with CD. it's a shame they couldn't have kept the lineup together but hey, shit happens, who are we to decide what axl does with the name. i hope this record is a success for axl & it gets him out of the state that hes in at the moment, the guy is/was a genius & rock n roll just aint the same without him
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • It's pretty great stuff, but i wish they were finished versions. they sound kind of thin to me.

i can't wait to rock this shit in my car.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • links to some of these songs?
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Are you kidding me ? Velvet Revolver actually released 2 great albums. The new Guns N Roses nothing. Contraband was a platinum seller. How much Chinese Democracy sold ? These demos are average at best. Vr blows this away 10000 times over.
  • links to some of these songs?

there's torrents everywhere. just do a search.
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Slash really hasn't been putting much in terms of quality. The last VR album sounded like it was trying to be STP-lite, like he's afraid to try anything new. Contraband did rock pretty well though, lots of that reminded me of GN'R. Hopefully his solo album will be more bluesy and have more solos.

On the new leaks, yes, I like them a lot. I may be biased because GN'R was the first band I really was crazy for,but they have a weird atmosphere to them that I like. The reviews of these songs seem mixed, but I've seen a lot more good ones than I ever would have expected.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • "Better" is good, and "Chinese Democracy" is decent. But ultimately, the band (or Axl) sound like a weird sub-par Nine Inch Nails meets Megadeth mix on the rockers, and like the Bee Gees with a washed up vocalist who forgot how to properly sing on the other stuff. Or rather, is unable to sing. Or whatever else you'd call it. Cheese Grating is how it sounded to me.

I WON'T be getting the CD when it comes out, in short.
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
  • well Axl will be glad u said that, after 13 years workin on an album it should be better than good.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    While I agree that Slash hasn't exactly been ripping it up, he has at least been playing somewhat admirably, while on the other hand Axl is still working on the greatest piece of music ever to be heard by anyone's ears.

And, there will certainly will be differences of opinion as to how great or awful this so-called Chinese Democracy thing is if there indeed is such a thing, and whether or not it outshines Slash's.

I personally have only heard "If the World" and was not amused at all. My bet has been and will continue to be that Axl's masterpiece isn't going to be much of a masterpiece at all. That's mainly because I think those two were a perfect fit for each other: Axl needed Slash to make his songs bad ass and Slash needed Axl to give him some songs. Try as he may, Axl new GNR will never amount to shit: 1. Because he is sooooooo yesterday, and 2) Because it ain't fuckin' GNR
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • I think we are closer then ever to the full GNR reunion if for no other reason that is the only way for Axl and Slash to maximize there bank accounts which is the driving force for most bands.

Of course I'm not complaining as a Reunited GNR tour would set records at the Box office and I would be front row center if possible.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    Who are Guns N Roses?:D
  • nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    Whoops double post
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    I think we are closer then ever to the full GNR reunion if for no other reason that is the only way for Axl and Slash to maximize there bank accounts which is the driving force for most bands.

THey won't reunite until Axl finally releases something and it doesn't sell well. I'm sure Slash and Duff are ready for one after VR fell apart but Axl still doesn't really need them. Plus I doubt that Slash would come back unless Axl gave up the name GNR and I don't think he'd do that.
  • Are you kidding me ? Velvet Revolver actually released 2 great albums. The new Guns N Roses nothing. Contraband was a platinum seller. How much Chinese Democracy sold ? These demos are average at best. Vr blows this away 10000 times over.

Since you're the one bringing it up as a way to compare, Chinese Democracy will outsell both VR albums combined when all is said and done. Obviously it hasn't yet since it's still God knows how far away from actually seeing the light of day.

But I agree with the OP 100%, which pains me to say because I'm a huge Slash fan and can't figure out what's happened over the years.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    There sure is a lot of hate for ole Axl on here. This song is freaking awesome and it'll end up being a huge hit. http://youtube.com/watch?v=EGA8QldwmI4
  • But I agree with the OP 100%, which pains me to say because I'm a huge Slash fan and can't figure out what's happened over the years.

what happened is that IZZY wrote all the best GNR songs, not Slash.
  • what happened is that IZZY wrote all the best GNR songs, not Slash.

Very true. As soon as Izzy's out of the frame, they lose all their Stones-y, rock n' roll charm. Axl becomes a perfectionist prima donna, Slash becomes a tuneless mess, and Duff carries on being quietly awesome.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,057
    Are you kidding me ? Velvet Revolver actually released 2 great albums. The new Guns N Roses nothing. Contraband was a platinum seller. How much Chinese Democracy sold ? These demos are average at best. Vr blows this away 10000 times over.

agreed that velvets debut was quite interesting, slither is a great rock tune, in the way Cochise was for audioslave, however their second album was utter shit....weilands far too much a big headed whiny fucker....slash is far too talented for that man's ego...
  • bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    please dude,are you kidding??the new songs are weird and not that great,especially since they've taken 18 years.slash rocks axl all over the place.
  • bluemonkey wrote:
    please dude,are you kidding??the new songs are weird and not that great,especially since they've taken 18 years.slash rocks axl all over the place.

You must have been one of the 6 people that bought Libertad
  • shermsherm Posts: 708
    Just listening to the leaked songs.....

hate to say it but they're pretty good.....

Seems Axl is just fine without his washed up old bandmates.....

Um. No
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18