Jay-Z 1 - Noel Gallagher 0

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited July 2008 in Other Music
He fuckin' owned Glasto last night.....

fuck you Gallagher.....
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I can't believe the backlash that Jay-Z got. "He doesn't belong at Glasto." I mean, what the fuck? Are us Brits this fucking snobby? I haven't seen his set yet but I hope it will shut all these rock fundemantalists up. I'd see Jay-Z over The Verve anyday.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Jay-Z presented it all the exact way it should be, as poetry. It was a great set. On the other hand, I think people are taking this Noel Vs Jay-Z thing too far. Jay-Z pulled one little joke, it's hardly an epic pwning. The joke seemed to be there to shut the critics up and then move on to what he's there for, but sadly I think the joke is what he'll be remembered for.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Noel Gallagher's the joke.....

With this pathetic and outdated 'I'm not having Hip Hop at Glastonbury. It's wrong' comments earlier on in the month, Jay Z proved just how out of touch and dated Noel and Oasis are.....

Jay Z's stellar set was far above anything I've ever seen Oasis do live.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Not that i care for either of them but don't forget tho that people were singing to Wonderwall because they love the song not as a dig to Noel (as Jay Z intended) I'm not a big fan of the song but it's fuckin' EPIC in the UK.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    mole1985 wrote:
    Not that i care for either of them but don't forget tho that people were singing to Wonderwall because they love the song not as a dig to Noel (as Jay Z intended) I'm not a big fan of the song but it's fuckin' EPIC in the UK.
    I don't think Jay-Z really meant it as a dig, I think it was good-natured ribbing.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I don't think Jay-Z really meant it as a dig, I think it was good-natured ribbing.
    Exactly. The Westwood interview showed that Jay-Z wasn't taking things too seriously. I think the last thing Jay-Z wanted to bring to Glasto was a gangster rap attitude with mudslinging and insults, he definitely didn't want to play up to the stereotypical view of hiphop.
    Paul
  • Wait...Wtf happened?
    Horry Kow!
    Wait...Wtf happened?
    Jay-Z's response to Noel Gallagher saying hip-hop has no place at Glastonbury was to come out with a fender stratocaster and run through a cover of Wonderwall with thousands of people singing along and loving it, effectively owning Gallagher.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Jay-Z's response to Noel Gallagher saying hip-hop has no place at Glastonbury was to come out with a fender stratocaster and run through a cover of Wonderwall with thousands of people singing along and loving it, effectively owning Gallagher.
    Before Jay-Z came on they also apparently played a mash up featuring soundbytes of Noel saying Jay-Z shouldn't play glastonbury, but the BBC didn't show that.
    Paul
    fowls wrote:
    Before Jay-Z came on they also apparently played a mash up featuring soundbytes of Noel saying Jay-Z shouldn't play glastonbury, but the BBC didn't show that.

i read about that, gutted they didn't show it.....
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Effectively.

Grace and style under pressure/fire go a long way as does a sense of humor.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • I just watched the video on youtube... hahaha awesome :D
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=GXZsO16w9sw

btw I'd love to hear Noel's 'thoughts' on that
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I just watched the video on youtube... hahaha awesome :D
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=GXZsO16w9sw

btw I'd love to hear Noel's 'thoughts' on that
    That's a level of hotness there that's just off the charts.

The guy can't can't even keep the smile from his lips.

And dig all of that "guitar driven" music in the background, Noel!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
    Just like to add, Jay Z wipes the floor with Oasis live.....
  • The_Fixer The_Fixer Posts: 255
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Well said.
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Jay-z sucks but it is good to see Noel get owned.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Noel is a pretty funny guy. I'm sure he's not too upset by this.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i bet Noel i sitting in his palatial abode not giving one fucking iota.

Jay-z probably had one of his 184 man entourage come up with the idea.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    I'll take Noel and his music anyday over this clown. Tupac, now that's a rapper who had talent. Jay-Z is just another corporate whore.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Jay Z should stick to rapping, he sounds in real distress when attempting to sing. I like what he did though. Im not really a massive fan of either artist but i dont think Noel is as amazing as he thinks he is, and it was good to see Jay Z taking a light hearted approach to the whole thing. Sure Noel doesnt care but he was made to look a bit daft!
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I love Oasis, but its nice to see Noel get owned like that. His comments regarding Jay-Z were dumb.

Still though, I can't help but think that Noel just loved this response..you can never really take the oasis guys seriously in what they say anyways. He probably just wanted to get in the press and get a response, which he did.
    Jay-z sucks but it is good to see Noel get owned.
    I hope you're not including Reasonable Doubt in that appraisal or I might have to rethink your thoughts on the only thing we agree on (hip-hop :))
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I hope you're not including Reasonable Doubt in that appraisal or I might have to rethink your thoughts on the only thing we agree on (hip-hop :))

A few decent beats on it but his rapping is terrible.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    A few decent beats on it but his rapping is terrible.
    I think he does a pretty good job on it. Admittedly, the best thing about it is Biggie's verse on Brooklyn's Finest and he makes Jay-Z look like a fool but it's a great album imo.
  • Bummy213Bummy213 Posts: 25
    I like Jay Z on record.......but live I just don't get that or any rappers performance as coming off too well. I went a few years ago to my one and only rap concert......it was Snoop Dogg and some other Dogg. He didn't really rap, just pretty much yelled like half of the lyrics over a pre-played recording of the songs. What irked me the most though was the 30 dudes on stage just going, "yeah" or "what" or "sucka" as every other word that Snoop rhymed. I don't know, rap just doesn't translate live for me.
    Igottago wrote:
    His comments regarding Jay-Z were dumb.

This is what my original post was refering to, the fact that Noel's comments made him look very dated and out of touch (just like everything Oasis have recorded since 1997).

The fact that Jay Z drew such a huge crowd and put on a stellar performance only serves to highlight how wrong Noel was....

More hip hop at Glasto I say, it can't always be whiney white boys with guitars.....
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    There seems to be this outbreak in the media that Jay-Z was amazing at Glasto. Not so (I was there), now i'm not saying he was terrible because he wasn't, he was decent - but noway should he have been headlining (i'm not saying he shouldn't be at Glasto, note). Most of his material wasn't known to the crowd and his interaction was pretty low and the crowd itself was pretty low for a headlining act.

On saying that Jay-Z might have actually been the best headling act on the bill. King's of Leon was ok as well but certainly nothing special and the Verve were just utterly boring. This was a Glasto where the headliners were all bettered by the other bands of the bill.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,826
    I thought that was pretty damn funny. Not a huge fan of live rap, but from what I saw on youtube, Jay-Z sounded pretty damn good...
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683

The fact that Jay Z drew such a huge crowd and put on a stellar performance only serves to highlight how wrong Noel was....

More hip hop at Glasto I say, it can't always be whiney white boys with guitars.....
    I heard it mentioned that this was the first year in quite some time where they didn't sell all the tickets prior to the start. Noel's comments were probably what a lot of people were thinking: pimp-rolling white boys with slanted baseball caps have their own places to go. Jay-z has his own agenda, namely, when a Shekel's a Shekel you don't give a fuck, P-Diddy style.
  • pr4mojo1pr4mojo1 Posts: 102
    Matty Boy wrote:
    I'll take Noel and his music anyday over this clown. Tupac, now that's a rapper who had talent. Jay-Z is just another corporate whore.

Listen to "The Blueprint" and then realize you're a moron.
    09/12/92-Irvine, 11/05/93-Indio, 06/24/95-San Fran, 11/06/95-SD, 11/07/95-SD, 7/13/98-LA, 07/14/98-LA, 10/25/00-SD, 10/28/00-Devore, 06/02/03-Irvine, 06/05/03-SD, 06/06/03-LV, 10/28/03-Santa Barbara, 09/02/05-Vancouver, 06/24/06-Cincy, 07/06/06-LV, 07/07/06-SD, 07/09/06-LA, 07/10/06-LA, 07/13/06-SB