Options

Hate for the RHCP...I admit I'm lost...

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I just don't understand it.

First can I explain how I got into the Chili Peppers so you can understand my viewpoint. I was 15 and pretty new to music. I was sitting in my youth wing when all of a sudden this beautiful song came on. I'd never heard anything that soundede so simultaniously beautiful, melancholic and uplifting. This song was Scar Tissue by a band called the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I have loved them ever since. To me from that point onwards they've gone from strength to strength. By The Way is still such a beautiful listen to me. Just last night I sat with it blasting out on headphones, 'Dosed', 'Dont Forget Me', 'Minor Thing', all to me superb songs.

And now Dani California, a wicked tune. Laid back funky verses combined with that rocking chorus, its fucking ace and sounds like summer. I guess thats the way I've always viewed the Chilis. Uplifting soulful and summery.

The minute RHCP started writing great pure uplifting soulful pop songs (Californication) everyone starts moaning and clutching their copies of the TRULY overated Mother's Milk and declaring sellouts. Bollocks to that.
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    what the hell? 3rd thread?
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    dan_vedderdan_vedder Posts: 213
    I love mothers milk, i love all their stuff. Ive just found that i have kind of gotten over the chilis. I cant really lsiten to them anymore. Cant really explain it. I agree it is bullshit. Blood Sugar Sex magik is one of my fav. albums of all time behind Ten, The Wall (Floyd) , VS, and Yield.
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    I like Mothers Milk, a lot. BUt to me, that was their first great record. I do love BSSM, possibly more than By the Way, but for the longest time By the Way was my undisputed favorite. I love their new stuff just as much if not more than the earlier 90s work and to me the recent stuff undisputedly kills anything before Mothers Milk. Im also a bit of a rarity of a fan because I really enjoy One Hot Minute...Im not even joking, I think it rocks.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    main reason i hate the RHCP: i cant stand his voice he sings like hes got a peg on his nose.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    They have fallen into the category of cliche thats why .
    They did some great stuff back in the day but now they have slipped into this horrible mtv/pop formula and keeps making music that is "Safe".
    2 albums that sound the same, with a third coming it sounds like.

Dani California is terrible.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I still love the Chilis, saw them on the Jonathan Ross show last night performed Dani California and Give It Away, John was on fire, whilst I dont think there as good as they used to be or as innovative they still make solid rock music.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I love the Chilis...I just think they need to find another subject to sing about other than Claifornia.
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    People constantly confuse maturity with selling out...I happen to love the direction RHCP has taken and since OHM their albums have gotten progressively better. Stadium is going to be phenomenal and if you don't think so... don't buy it.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I really didn't get into The chillies until by the way. It was the first Chillies album I bought. My brother had Californication but I never really listened to it. I have heard the older album but I have to admit I prefer their newer stuff.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    People constantly confuse maturity with selling out...I happen to love the direction RHCP has taken and since OHM their albums have gotten progressively better. Stadium is going to be phenomenal and if you don't think so... don't buy it.

exactly...people would be complaining if they still made music like their pre-OHM stuff....honestly, im only 15 and i still dont like a lot of the goofy stuff they did, but this is coming from someone whos way into serious rock such as Pearl Jam and U2. I honestly much rather the newer, more mature Chilis over the tube sock sporting early days

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    afaridafarid Posts: 177
    The chilis are an important band just because they do goofy stuff does not mean they are not serious and relevant. They are a unique band that broke a lot barriers. With that said I dont think there is as much hate for the chilis but dissapointment. I mean "Dani California" although catchy but just seems lack luster. Besides the solo the song is kinda boring. However i am still going to buy the album and see them concert. I am sure the album is going to be way better, that has always been the case woth the chilis. The album tracks are way better than the singles. They are an awesome band who just happened to come out with a not so awesome song. That is it.
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    afarid wrote:
    The chilis are an important band just because they do goofy stuff does not mean they are not serious and relevant. They are a unique band that broke a lot barriers. With that said I dont think there is as much hate for the chilis but dissapointment. I mean "Dani California" although catchy but just seems lack luster. Besides the solo the song is kinda boring. However i am still going to buy the album and see them concert. I am sure the album is going to be way better, that has always been the case woth the chilis. The album tracks are way better than the singles. They are an awesome band who just happened to come out with a not so awesome song. That is it.

What about changin your sound to appeal to the masses.
  • Options
    I love the Chilis...I just think they need to find another subject to sing about other than Claifornia.

Lol :D

Although Dani California is a person not a place. She's the girl he sings of in By The Way.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    One thing I dont unerstand is people saying Californication and By The Way sound the same.

The sound nothing like eachother!

Californication to me is a very sparce stripped down record where By The Way, far from appealing to the masses, is them taking it on a step and chucking allsorts into the mix.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    they've been repeating themselves for ten years now. boring.
  • Options
    i do not think they have been repeating themselves for 10 years. It is obvious you do not know what you are talking about. Californiacation is a way different sounding record than Blood Sugar. And By the Way is way more different than Californiacation. By the Way only had one or two funky songs the rest were nothing like thier previous work.
    The only problem with Dani California is that it is not captivating. I know they are capable of better things but I can not fully pass judgement on them by just listening toi one song. Let the album come out and we will see.
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Past 10 years has been One Hot Minute (with Dave Navarro and totally different to BSSM cause he's more rock orientated than funk)

Californication, just finding themselves with JF's return to the fold... .and i think a great album, sounds nothing like One Hot Minute.

By The Way, how anyone can compare this album to ANYTHING the Chili's had done before trully baffles me. You need to listen to the album properly cause you obviously havent.

Going by Dani California, the new album sounds like its going back to BSSM, im not saying that is a bad thing, BSSM is in my top for albums of all time.

So what that AK makes alot of references to California in his songs (oh and he mentions a hell of alot of other states in DC too).
    Ed makes alot of references to waves/the ocean in general in alot of his songs, doesnt make the song bad.

Of course everyone is entitles to their own opinion so im not saying anyones is wrong, but saying all their albums sound the same is complete bullshit.
  • Options
    I agree with chris01
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
  • Options
    chris01 wrote:

By The Way, how anyone can compare this album to ANYTHING the Chili's had done before trully baffles me. You need to listen to the album properly cause you obviously havent.

saying all their albums sound the same is complete bullshit.

Could not agree more.

By The Way is very very different to californication in both feel and sound.

Catch 22 though isn't it? Let your sound evolve and explore new territory = sellout. Repeat sound of former glory = tired and repetitive.

To be honset if you dont like Californication, By The Way or SA then you're not really a chili's fan, well not a Fruciante chili's fan anyway. The band you liked died a good ten years ago.

Reminds me of when people moan about pearl jam and saying nothing surpass' Vitalogy.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    The biggest reason that I can't get down with RHCP anymore is Anthony Kedis. He was the man back when the Peppers had the funk. I don't know when I started really not liking his whole vibe...probably after Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Just about everything they've done since then has been the same damned album over and over again...and that's cool because lots of people dig it. It's just not for me.

I have a lot of respect for everything they did up to BSSM, and I even dig Frusciante's guitar work on the later stuff, but musically, they're out of ideas without Frusciante.
  • Options
    chris01 wrote:
    Past 10 years has been One Hot Minute (with Dave Navarro and totally different to BSSM cause he's more rock orientated than funk)

Californication, just finding themselves with JF's return to the fold... .and i think a great album, sounds nothing like One Hot Minute.

Going by Dani California, the new album sounds like its going back to BSSM, im not saying that is a bad thing, BSSM is in my top for albums of all time.

So what that AK makes alot of references to California in his songs (oh and he mentions a hell of alot of other states in DC too).
    Ed makes alot of references to waves/the ocean in general in alot of his songs, doesnt make the song bad.

Of course everyone is entitles to their own opinion so im not saying anyones is wrong, but saying all their albums sound the same is complete bullshit.

OHM came out 11 years ago 1995, sorry for being anal:)
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I think BSSM and By the way are great albums. I did not really like Californication except for the radio singles. Also, I am suprrised no one else has mentioned this yet.. but Dani California sounds exactly like a rip off of Tom Petty's song Mary Janes last dance. Listen to the song and you will see what I mean. RHCP has some great songs but Dani california is not one of them.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    October22 wrote:
    They are a fucking joke. If you think anything they've done since BSSM is any good, then I would say you have a very limited experience with music and you can't tell they are repeating the same bullshit over and over. I think they are crass and artless.

Its just ironic I would say everything they did BEFORE BSSM was crass and artless...

Californication actually had proper songwriting on it.

Scar Tissue is just beautiful...I'd say anything BUT novelty...
  • Options
    Its just ironic I would say everything they did BEFORE BSSM was crass and artless...

Californication actually had proper songwriting on it.

Scar Tissue is just beautiful...I'd say anything BUT novelty...

Knock Me Down, Backwoods, Show Me Your Soul, Get Up And Jump the Chilis were far from artless before BSSM, but i like the new stuff as well
  • Options
    October22 wrote:
    They are a fucking joke. If you think anything they've done since BSSM is any good, then I would say you have a very limited experience with music and you can't tell they are repeating the same bullshit over and over. I think they are crass and artless.

I'll cut the guy who started this thread some slack because he was 15 when By the Way came out. I'm not trying to be a dick but I can see why you would have the opinion you do. I liked some garbage when I was 15. You're just too young to know it yet. It's a very different story when you're 13 when BSSM comes out and you grow up with a band. You see that they are evolving to be MTV/Pop-rock jokes. Their songs are vacant and meaningless now. It just sounds like sound with some dude who can't really sing, just rapping over shit. I ask you this; where would they be now if Frusciante didn't come back? What a meaningless pile of drivel they sounded like without him. Flea is a great bassist but he's a novelty act just like Claypool. Sure, they're fun but in the end, that's all it is; fun. I would much rather have a less flashy player Ament who can help produce something artistic. RHCP are a "fun" band but it's not epic music by any stretch.

If grandma had balls she would be grandpa...your post makes no sense its just a lot of opinion from a person who obviously hasn't gotten deep into the bands albums. Frusciante did come back so your arguement is insignificant. Fruscinate happens to be the most talented guitar player in any big band right now....As far as repeating the same old bullshit over and over you are just flat out wrong. It is very apparent the only stuff you have heard from the band is what you see on tv or hear on the radio. The best stuff from RHCP is the stuff that doesn't make it on to the radio. By the Way was amazingly experimental and just a fantastic record. Up to this point it stands as the bands masterpiece.

Whats wrong with being a fun band? You write that as if it were a bad thing. The fun in their music is part of the appeal. Sometimes all I want is fun music. That doesn't mean I'm some ignorant dullard because I don't feel like analyzing every piece of music I listen to or having every everything I listen to create some deep introspective thought and emotion. Its music man, music is supposed to make you feel good. RHCP have been doing that nicely for years and if they want to parade around on MTV I don't care...I don't even watch MTV.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    The only argument I am really seeing from Chilis fans is "You haven't listened to it enough," which I honestly is a dumb argument, especially given the fact that I honestly doubt you'd give a band you think is shit the time of day.

Am I a chili peppers fan? Definately not. Do I listen to lots of music? Of course. Do I think By The way and Californication (which I actually owned and was the last I had to do with them in any shapew or form besides a few listens to BTW, which was more than enough) were pieces of crap engineered to get some huge radio play? Do I think Frusciante is a major dickhead? Do I think that Kiedis can't sing for shit?

Yes.

Some of JF's solo stuff has been really good, though
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    The only argument I am really seeing from Chilis fans is "You haven't listened to it enough," which I honestly is a dumb argument, especially given the fact that I honestly doubt you'd give a band you think is shit the time of day.

Well you are giving them the time of day if you're taking the time out to write a post about them right?...There are lots of bands I don't like that are talked about in this forum. I don't write about bands I don't like just to insult them...well, maybe Audioslave and thats just because its a perplexing case of the parts being more than the sum of the whole. If you don't like RHCP then don't listen to their albums its that simple. Its not my intention to convince anyone of anything but if someone is going to paint themselves as some sort of expert about the band to just trash them...then know what you're talking about, and if you're basing your opinion off of the "radio hits" then make that clear too.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    culot4 wrote:
    Well you are giving them the time of day if you're taking the time out to write a post about them right?...There are lots of bands I don't like that are talked about in this forum. I don't write about bands I don't like just to insult them...well, maybe Audioslave and thats just because its a perplexing case of the parts being more than the sum of the whole. If you don't like RHCP then don't listen to their albums its that simple. Its not my intention to convince anyone of anything but if someone is going to paint themselves as some sort of expert about the band to just trash them...then know what you're talking about, and if you're basing your opinion off of the "radio hits" then make that clear too.

Hey, I figured I'd offer my opinion on the subject, since that is what the thread is for, so can the "if you don't like it, don't talk about it," it really gets us nowhere. In any thread I've ever started I would love people to offer a contrarian viewpoint.

As for the rest of your points

- I don't listen to their albums anymore
    - I never painted myself as an expert, and I don't think you need to be an expert on a band to like or dislike them. that is just silly
    - Was crap like "Purple Stain" and "Get On Top" and "Throw Away Your Television" radio hits? Because I hate those pretty strongly.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Uh how is John Frusciante a dick? I think hes a cool guitarist, a funny, down to earth guy, and a good songwriter as well

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    LedZepFan wrote:
    Uh how is John Frusciante a dick? I think hes a cool guitarist, a funny, down to earth guy, and a good songwriter as well

yeah. hes the only chili pepper I like.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits