Mike Patton on Wolfmother

2»

Comments

• Mike Patton?? who is that guy?
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Saturnal wrote:
    Yes, I know he doesn't try to write hits. I do think he wants more recognition and respect than he gets though (record sales are just an indicator of recognition). And I think it pisses him off that bands like Wolfmother get more recognition, so he has to not only attack them, but call their fans stupid in addition.

he has a HUGE and dedicated following, in some circles he's seen as a "god"....i've seen Lovage, Mr Bungle, Tomahawk, Peeping Tom and Fantomas in concert and every show was a a large venue and sold out in minutes
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Todd76 wrote:
    he has a HUGE and dedicated following, in some circles he's seen as a "god"....i've seen Lovage, Mr Bungle, Tomahawk, Peeping Tom and Fantomas in concert and every show was a a large venue and sold out in minutes

Come on man, he has a very dedicated following but it's not huge. Peeping Tom headlines in clubs, and they're only playing in huge arenas because they're opening for The Who. Same with Tomahawk and Fantomas for Tool. Mike Patton doesn't regularly sell out big arenas like some of the bands he shits on (RHCP for one).
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i've read enough.. basically this thread has 2 kinds of people.. people that are informed of who patton is and can form a valid opinion based on this.. and people who have NO CLUE who he is and are just going by what they see on tv..ie: Faith no more being a one hit wonder WTF..if all you follow is MTV and the radio then yes I guess they are.. and so is Blind Melon i guess.. listen to the albums and turn your damn TV off.. there is a wealth of patton music you haven't even heard.. Wolfmother are still children.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    Saturnal wrote:
    Come on man, he has a very dedicated following but it's not huge. Peeping Tom headlines in clubs, and they're only playing in huge arenas because they're opening for The Who. Same with Tomahawk and Fantomas for Tool. Mike Patton doesn't regularly sell out big arenas like some of the bands he shits on (RHCP for one).

The venues he played in T.O. were some of the biggest we have to offer other than arenas....and based on the fact they sold out so quickly he probably could have upsized (obviously not to arena levels)

....I really dont think hes the type of musician that gives two shits if hes playing a club or an arena - i'm sure his dissappointment (if there is any) stems from the fact he wishes good/original music received more support/recognition and that people were more willing to challenge themselves musically rather then listening to what boils down to boring second rate cover bands...and dont we all wish that were true
  • bharQ wrote:
    i've read enough.. basically this thread has 2 kinds of people.. people that are informed of who patton is and can form a valid opinion based on this.. and people who have NO CLUE who he is and are just going by what they see on tv..ie: Faith no more being a one hit wonder WTF..if all you follow is MTV and the radio then yes I guess they are.. and so is Blind Melon i guess.. listen to the albums and turn your damn TV off.. there is a wealth of patton music you haven't even heard.. Wolfmother are still children.

You didn't mention me specifically, but I'd say you lump me into the group who doesn't know Patton enough and can't form a valid opinion based on that. I think that's wrong, because I'm very familiar with Patton's projects. I don't like most of them, but I respect his originality. I'm not going by what I see on TV.

However, most people don't know who he is, and he doesn't regularly sell out large arenas like a lot of bands who he feels aren't progressive enough or original enough in his eyes. That bothers him, and I think that's mainly why he shits on them.
  • Todd76 wrote:
    The venues he played in T.O. were some of the biggest we have to offer other than arenas....and based on the fact they sold out so quickly he probably could have upsized (obviously not to arena levels)

....I really dont think hes the type of musician that gives two shits if hes playing a club or an arena - i'm sure his dissappointment (if there is any) stems from the fact he wishes good/original music received more support/recognition and that people were more willing to challenge themselves musically rather then listening to what boils down to boring second rate cover bands...and dont we all wish that were true

I'm not sure what T.O. is, but in Boston and New York he played in clubs. We have larger venues here, but he can't sell enough seats for those. That's the point.

Regardless, I think we generally agree that he's pissed because music that he sees as "good" and original isn't popular. I just worded it differently before. The problem is, not everyone has the same definition of "good". Music snobs, however, think their definition should be applied to everyone. I think that's stupid.

And on top of that, it's a bullshit definition anyways, because anyone who's watched bands get more and more popular know that the same people (music snobs) always like them less and less. It has nothing to do with their originality, it has to do with people feeling like they know better than most of the "mindless sheep" who listen to Wolfmother or RHCP.
    Saturnal wrote:
    I'm not sure what T.O. is

Toronto...some of the venues he played here have capacities around 2500 - 3000 (not too shabby.....the same places i've seen Sonic Youth, Spiritualized, Yo La Tengo, Stereolab, Mogwai, Broken Social Scene, the Verve, Belle And Sebastian, A Perfect Circle, Doves....shit even the mighty Nickelback played there, fortunately i missed that one - OUCH)
  • Most of his stuff with the exception of Faith no more and Peeping Tom is more ambient/ avant garde i think you really have to be into it to get it. Or be in a certain mood depending on which project you listen to. My two recent favs of his has been Fantomas and the General patton vs Xecutioners album some very different sounding music.