Mike Patton on Wolfmother

bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
edited September 2006 in Other Music
A lot of people aren't going to like this but I figured I'd post it.. i'm a little on the fence with wolfmother.. but you really can't deny that he does have a point and that this is pretty fuckin hilarious

One could argue patton has influences from the 60s and 70s too.. but hey.. he has a way of using them.. he transforms genres into his own music.. i'll take originality over repetition..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r98WLLWMq3o
09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• OlivavuOlivavu Posts: 1,683
    I found it amusing.

Wolfmother don't bother me, I think they're dull, but they don't offend me.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    yeah its like, cause i'm so used to how crappy mainstream music has been in the past few years Wolfmother aren't that bad compared to like Good Charlotte or something but wtf is that saying? I mean if this was 1994 there is no way we'd even have heard of fuckin Wolfmother.. unless maybe we seen them at the bar they'd be playing in their hometown
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQ wrote:
    yeah its like, cause i'm so used to how crappy mainstream music has been in the past few years Wolfmother aren't that bad compared to like Good Charlotte or something but wtf is that saying? I mean if this was 1994 there is no way we'd even have heard of fuckin Wolfmother.. unless maybe we seen them at the bar they'd be playing in their hometown

disagree totally - they kick ass if you're into classic rock sounding music. i can't even name one song form good charlotte or nickelback for that matter...so while i know they're not a band i would like, i still don't even know what their music sounds like...i'm not comparing wolfmother to them or anybody at all. they just rock my socks off

peace.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I like them... they're not great, but they're far from bad. The guy has a point though- I can see why music afficianados don't like them.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    disagree totally - they kick ass if you're into classic rock sounding music. i can't even name one song form good charlotte or nickelback for that matter...so while i know they're not a band i would like, i still don't even know what their music sounds like...i'm not comparing wolfmother to them or anybody at all. they just rock my socks off

peace.

i'm very much into classic rock and i dont think they touch the legends at ALL.. i mean when Pearl Jam came out it was fresh sounding.. they had influences from the 70s but they blended it with 80s post-punk and created such an amazing sound.. the fact that it was original made it all the better.

There are plenty of Zeppelin albums i'd way rather listen to than WM.. they just dont offer anything new to me
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I have not been able to watch this yet i'm at work. I really respect patton as a musician. I'm not much of a fan of wolfmother. Right now the only sabbath rippoff band i'm digging is The Sword. For some reason i give them a pass probalby because their riffs are awesome :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Patton doesn't like anything that he feels isn't "progressive". And I laughed when he complained about Wolfmother, because I said the same things when I saw Tomahawk live.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    bharQ wrote:

There are plenty of Zeppelin albums i'd way rather listen to than WM.. they just dont offer anything new to me

Yes.

the problem with Wolfmother is their songs, it's teh fact that their songs are completely redundant. They are merely one step removed from me getting drunk and singing the Immigrant song at a karaoke bar
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • CageyCagey Posts: 220
    As I said in another thread, they're far too wannabe-zepplin-ish for me, way too old style, he was exaggerating a bit on their suckiness, but, Patton has always been original, he's never tried to sound like anyone else.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • Just to annoy the Patton worshippers -

Patton used to try to sound like Anthony Keidis.

Seriously, I really like Faith No More, but I'm really turned off by what I read of Patton dissing other bands. Who is Patton to tell anyone what they should listen to. Shut up and play music.
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Just to annoy the Patton worshippers -

Patton used to try to sound like Anthony Keidis.

Seriously, I really like Faith No More, but I'm really turned off by what I read of Patton dissing other bands. Who is Patton to tell anyone what they should listen to. Shut up and play music.

other way round. Actually, it's hard to say who came first, there was a huge dispute between them at the time, I doubt either wanted to sound like the other.

He does nothing but perform, he's probably done more work in the past 4 years than any other 'rock' star.
  • I was just kidding about the Keidis thing. I agree Patton is prolific. I just don't see why he needs to rip on other people's music. I've seen threads here and on other boards about him talking trash about the Chili Peppers (who happen to be one of my favorite bands) and others. I think it's a lame thing to do.
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I was just kidding about the Keidis thing. I agree Patton is prolific. I just don't see why he needs to rip on other people's music. I've seen threads here and on other boards about him talking trash about the Chili Peppers (who happen to be one of my favorite bands) and others. I think it's a lame thing to do.

Look up on it though, Kiedis did his share of mouthing too, and I liked both FnM & The Chili's .. I just laugh at all that nonsense.

He may be a performer, but he's still a music fan, so entitled to an opinion, no?
  • larslars Posts: 524
    bharQ wrote:
    A lot of people aren't going to like this but I figured I'd post it.. i'm a little on the fence with wolfmother.. but you really can't deny that he does have a point and that this is pretty fuckin hilarious

One could argue patton has influences from the 60s and 70s too.. but hey.. he has a way of using them.. he transforms genres into his own music.. i'll take originality over repetition..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r98WLLWMq3o

You are 100% on the mark
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • What a fuckwit....
  • shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I was just kidding about the Keidis thing. I agree Patton is prolific. I just don't see why he needs to rip on other people's music. I've seen threads here and on other boards about him talking trash about the Chili Peppers (who happen to be one of my favorite bands) and others. I think it's a lame thing to do.

I think it is called a harsh but still honest opinion. I agree with the man on that one, Wolfmother may sound great, but they still have zero originality. For me they are nothing but a really good cover band.

As for Keidis & the chili's: Anthony Keidis can't really sing anymore at live shows, and the RHCP's are starting to act like bon jovi = repeating its best formulas and having cool videos. The thing is, bon jovi has always been a terible band, while the RHCP went from original-funky-rock into regular boring pop-rock (and that's a real shame when you have such a great musicians).
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    HA!! Thanks for the laugh.:D Huge Patton fan and it just so happens that we see exactly eye to eye on this. :D

bharQ wrote:
    he transforms genres into his own music.. i'll take originality over repetition..

EXACTLY! There are obvious influences but the man has created a style (MANY of them actually) all his own.

shiraz wrote:
    I think it is called a harsh but still honest opinion.

Yep...that's what it is.
    I personally respect the fact that he's so real and blunt about his opinions.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • I'm just saying it's my opinion that it's low class for a musician to disparage other musicians publicly. Every one is entitled to like or dislike any band, but what purpose does it serve to publicly trash another band except to inflate your own ego? Obviously he has the right to do it, but why bother? If you don't like another band's music, or the current state of popular music (and I don't like the state of current popular music), just make good music to comabt the deluge of crap out there.

As for the Chili Peppers, I could not disagree with you more. Again, it all comes down to opinion and personal taste, but to me, the music they are making now is on a much higher artistic level than their old stuff, and I love their old stuff. I regularly listen to Freaky Styley and Uplift Mofo Party Plan, but I think Stadium Arcadium is a much more solid album. I think the music on it is timeless and covers a very broad stylistic range while still feeling cohesive as a whole. There are poppy tunes like Make You Feel Better and Tell Me Baby, but those songs stand along side straight up funk like Warlocks, slamming hard rock like Readymade, post punk influenced tunes like So Much I, and epic rock like Turn It Again. I've hijacked this thread enough now, but I had to offer a counterpoint to your assessment of the Peppers' newer music.
  • This guy is right about Wolfmother. Totally unoriginal. From the riffage to the lyrics, to the haircuts.

I also take issue with some people who claim "they are way better than most crap being put out today"..well, okay, maybe so..but it still doesn't mean they are good. Is that what it has come to? Music is so fucking bad that we accept medoicrity and unoriginality because "at least its not as bad as Nickelback", or whoever else that sucks. What a sad state of affairs.
  • THAT WAS AWESOME

finally, somebody said it -- you rock Patton.
  • Okay, he just said "i'm doing a sixties italian record with an orchestra" right before asking what year is it.

Anyone who disses a band for sounding like they belong in another decade is a loser.

Plus, for christ's sake, would you rather sound like a sabbath/zeppelin rip off or fucking nickelback?

No offense to Mike Patton cuz i actually kind of dig him, but he needs to shut the fuck up. Make fun of them for the singer's whiney robert plant rip off voice or something, not because they play older style music.

lame.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I'm just saying it's my opinion that it's low class for a musician to disparage other musicians publicly. Every one is entitled to like or dislike any band, but what purpose does it serve to publicly trash another band except to inflate your own ego?
    couldn't agree more. lame.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Half of Patton's shit is unlistenable. It's not art...it's fucking unlistenable garbage...and I don't even like wolfmother that much.

methinks Patton needs to get off of his own dick for a minute.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Patton is a genius - most of the time (some of the vocal noise albums he does dont do much for me) - BUT Faith No More, Fantomas, Tomahawk, Mr Bungle, Lovage, Peeping Tom are all AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND he is obviously completely on the ball in this case - Wolfmother stink (2nd rate Zeppelin rip-off....BORING)

Preach on Mike, Preach on
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Just for the record, I've only heard a couple of Wolfmother songs, and I find them to be "ok". If there's nothing better on the radio, I'll listen to it, but I don't see myself buying the album. That said, if you're ripping off Zeppelin and Sabbath, at least you have good taste.
  • shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I'm just saying it's my opinion that it's low class for a musician to disparage other musicians publicly. Every one is entitled to like or dislike any band, but what purpose does it serve to publicly trash another band except to inflate your own ego? Obviously he has the right to do it, but why bother? If you don't like another band's music, or the current state of popular music (and I don't like the state of current popular music), just make good music to comabt the deluge of crap out there.

I really don't get your point, why would someone who has an opinion need to keep it to himself? And what about a possitive opinion, what makes it more right to have that one "in loud"?

The way I see it, it is very importent for someone to share a none-popular opinion with the public, especially if he really believes in it and not just saying it for the sake of self-attention. It seems like everybody in the music world is in favor of Wolfmother in public, and the same thing goes with Coldplay (best band in the world, what is wrong with everybody?!?). I'm glad someone finally said "the king is nude".
    hendrix78 wrote:
    As for the Chili Peppers, I could not disagree with you more. Again, it all comes down to opinion and personal taste, but to me, the music they are making now is on a much higher artistic level than their old stuff, and I love their old stuff. I regularly listen to Freaky Styley and Uplift Mofo Party Plan, but I think Stadium Arcadium is a much more solid album. I think the music on it is timeless and covers a very broad stylistic range while still feeling cohesive as a whole. There are poppy tunes like Make You Feel Better and Tell Me Baby, but those songs stand along side straight up funk like Warlocks, slamming hard rock like Readymade, post punk influenced tunes like So Much I, and epic rock like Turn It Again. I've hijacked this thread enough now, but I had to offer a counterpoint to your assessment of the Peppers' newer music.

I don't want them to make the same music they used to. I want them to to dare and innovate like they used to. I'm sorry but they stoped doing that, and their new cd proves (to me) they chose to walk on the easy way than on the more challenging one.
  • Patton is just a music snob. He's pissed off that his stuff doesn't sell that well, and he's pissed that Faith No More is generally remembered as a one-hit-wonder. He's got a big chip on his shoulder about that, and it shows.
  • I guess for me it's the difference between saying "I don't like this band" and implying that no one else should like them. By making fun of a band in a snarky tone like that, it seems you're basically ridiculing anyone who likes them. I'm saying, who the fuck is Patton, or any one else for that matter, to tell people what to like. I guess I'm just not a fan of critics in general becuase I think it's a useless job. I don't believe art or entertainment can be defined in objective terms, so trying to claim yourself to be an expert on it is bullshit in my opinion.

I'll use our different takes on the Chili peppers as an example. You think they have taken the easy road and are doing the same thing over again. I think they are building on the past, honing their craft, and creating something new. What makes one of our opinions more valid than the other? I'd argue both of our opinions are equally valid because we obviously hear the music differently.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Saturnal wrote:
    Patton is just a music snob. He's pissed off that his stuff doesn't sell that well, and he's pissed that Faith No More is generally remembered as a one-hit-wonder. He's got a big chip on his shoulder about that, and it shows.

If you had ever heard any of Pattons music post FNM you would definitely realize hes NOT pissed about record sales or FNM's "one hit wonder" status....if ever there was a guy who was just into it for the love of making new and original music its Mr Patton.

Would a guy whos about to make an album of 60's Italian music, or record albums with John Zorn, or cover songs by Ennio Morricone really be worried about record sales - just listen to Fantomas....that aint about record sales or writing hits
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Todd76 wrote:
    If you had ever heard any of Pattons music post FNM you would definitely realize hes NOT pissed about record sales or FNM's "one hit wonder" status....if ever there was a guy who was just into it for the love of making new and original music its Mr Patton.

Would a guy whos about to make an album of 60's Italian music, or record albums with John Zorn, or cover songs by Ennio Morricone really be worried about record sales - just listen to Fantomas....that aint about record sales or writing hits

Yes, I know he doesn't try to write hits. I do think he wants more recognition and respect than he gets though (record sales are just an indicator of recognition). And I think it pisses him off that bands like Wolfmother get more recognition, so he has to not only attack them, but call their fans stupid in addition.