DMB "member" leaves DMB

maccimacci Posts: 1,057
edited May 2008 in Other Music
From http://www.dmband.com:

A Message From DMB
05/27/2008

Keyboardist Butch Taylor has decided to leave Dave Matthews Band. We are saddened by this sudden news but he has our full support. He’s given so much to us and our audience through the years and he will be missed.

I know a lot of people on here are anti-DMB, but I also know there are DMB fans on here as welll. I am pretty surprised at this - especially 3 days before the summer tour begins. I wish Butch the best & hope he is ok healthwise.
My lips are shaking.......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Tenacious BTenacious B Posts: 77
    The announcement came 3 days before the tour. It doesn't mean that the decision was made 3 days before the tour.

They'll be fine without Butch. If anything, songs will be more concise, which is a good thing. They've jammed out Two Step, Bartender, LIOG, etc. too long with Butch solos.

Plus, Tim Reynolds is on the roster this summer. I'll take that trade anyday.
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    I'm sad to see him go, since I've seen him on so many tours. I agree he made songs like Two Step and Bartender waaaaay too long with his solos.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I am excited for Timmy to be on the road too.

It's weird, but when they showed the band recording in the studio not that long ago, I'm pretty sure Butch was there.
    Although his departue was rumored on several DMB message boards in the past few weeks.

I miss not miss the long drawn out jams either, but I do think Butch added a lot to shows.
    My lips are shaking.......
    He definitely added to some songs. His background vocals will be missed as well.

Overall, I still think the change will be good.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Embarrassing to even join that band in the first place
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Eff you.
    If I could, think I would give in.
    It was inevitable. It's cool to hate DMB.
    Yeah, I guess... maybe it's because we're all fratboys that listen to DMB?
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Embarrassing to even join that band in the first place

let me guess you actually like oasis?

they suck
  • bossman3188bossman3188 Posts: 263
    actually, i love dmb AND oasis....maybe i just have a large library of music in my brain. trust me, there are far worse bands out there. DMB is incredible and its too bad if you dont like them cause you obviously do not know good music
    there'll be time for laughin'
    there's no time to cry
    soon i will be leavin'
    look me in the eye
    no matter what's in front of me
    it's your face that i'll see
  • faithfull44faithfull44 Posts: 14
    The announcement came 3 days before the tour. It doesn't mean that the decision was made 3 days before the tour.

They'll be fine without Butch. If anything, songs will be more concise, which is a good thing. They've jammed out Two Step, Bartender, LIOG, etc. too long with Butch solos.

Plus, Tim Reynolds is on the roster this summer. I'll take that trade anyday.

Exactly. I'll take Tim anyday. I will not miss Butch. I hope they don't replace him, either. They've never needed a keyboardist. And if the songs are still long, at least Tim will be playing the solos.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    Exactly. I'll take Tim anyday. I will not miss Butch. I hope they don't replace him, either. They've never needed a keyboardist. And if the songs are still long, at least Tim will be playing the solos.

agree 100%..

twenty minute piano solos in Lie In Our Graves and bartender are the worst part of their boots..

I just hit Fast Forward until the band kicks in again..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Never had too much of a problem with Butch, so I'm kind of sad to see him go. What's the rumors going around for why he left? Are there any?

Though I do have to say I am more intrigued... the Alpine shows will be the first time I've seen the band without him.

A band member leaving three days before the tour starts can't be good for any band... I'll be curious to see if these first several shows play it safe or not. This news definitely makes it a little more exciting to see what's going to happen.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Damn...everytime there is a DMB thread theres always someone who has to say how they suck. It seems to me that most people hate them because of their preppy frat boy fans. I have a feeling they would be less hated if their fans werent so "not cool" as they say. I for one got into DMB assuming alot of ppl here like them....once i got into them i realized more people seem to hate them. Oh well im glad I got into them, cuz they are a great band and would love to see them live.

not to mention it seems like every chick likes them! haha
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    It was inevitable. It's cool to hate DMB.

or is it because they have released fucking shit after btcs.

before that they were great, now they suck balls
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    its too bad if you dont like them cause you obviously do not know good music
    they stopped making good music after btcs.

so yea i know what good music is.

blind faith in a band just because you liked what they started with is retarded.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • 3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    It's good to know that we are one step closer to that horrible band breaking up.
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

Busted Stuff is a great album.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
    I really enjoy Everyday and Stand Up as well... it's not OHMYGOD amazing, but I really like the albums.
    Everyday and Stand Up aren't their best work.

But they have created great music since BTCS. Busted Stuff and Lillywhite are great material. Plus, there are a lot of great songs not on an album yet.....Crazy Easy, Shotgun, #27, Joy Ride, Sugar Will, Cornbread, Eh Hee, A Dream So Real, The Idea of You....to name a few. I really am confident the current studio sessions will yield a nice album.
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Everyday and Stand Up aren't their best work.

But they have created great music since BTCS. Busted Stuff and Lillywhite are great material. Plus, there are a lot of great songs not on an album yet.....Crazy Easy, Shotgun, #27, Joy Ride, Sugar Will, Cornbread, Eh Hee, A Dream So Real, The Idea of You....to name a few. I really am confident the current studio sessions will yield a nice album.

You forgot BREAK FREE!!!

Awesome awesome song.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
    So they are working on a new album? I thought they were just going to tour the rest of their lives, haha... when's it expected to be released? I guess now after the tour?
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

I have never liked their music to be honest, always found it boring (there are a few songs that are alright I guess). It doesnt help them out that such a large percentage of their fans own their cds and then only whatever else is in the top 40. I hate to make generalizations but I gotta say that there is no way that so many people could like their type of music (particularly those whose other cds only consist of Fergie, Nickelback, Kenny Chesney, or Soulja Boy)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    they stopped making good music after btcs.

so yea i know what good music is.

blind faith in a band just because you liked what they started with is retarded.

Not true....busted stuff is great. Grey street, kit kat jam, bartender. I can see how everyday and standup is bad but busted stuff has some great songs.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    It's good to know that we are one step closer to that horrible band breaking up.
    amen sister
    So they are working on a new album? I thought they were just going to tour the rest of their lives
    no kidding... pretty sad that their fanbase would be alright with hearing the same damn material every summer... dont blame 'em considering every album they release is worse than the one before it

and ive seen 'em live 3 times (my friends a big fan) so dont just call me a hater for the sake of whats "cool"
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    actually, i love dmb AND oasis....maybe i just have a large library of music in my brain. trust me, there are far worse bands out there. DMB is incredible and its too bad if you dont like them cause you obviously do not know good music

I was just pestering "pjoasisrule" who just can't stop saying "they suck"

What I've thought of Oasis's fans in the past has only declined since reading "pjoasisrule's" this band sucks posts :)

I've seen DMB and Tim Reynolds and dig what they offer up. They'll all survive this.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    sgossard3 wrote:
    amen sister

no kidding... pretty sad that their fanbase would be alright with hearing the same damn material every summer... dont blame 'em considering every album they release is worse than the one before it

Sounds like a certain band that I enjoy seeing. I think I might be on their message board right now ;)

I was actually hoping Dave left, not Butch :)
    NERDS!
    I have never liked their music to be honest, always found it boring (there are a few songs that are alright I guess). It doesnt help them out that such a large percentage of their fans own their cds and then only whatever else is in the top 40. I hate to make generalizations but I gotta say that there is no way that so many people could like their type of music (particularly those whose other cds only consist of Fergie, Nickelback, Kenny Chesney, or Soulja Boy)

One could argue this not possible, but I am now more dumb for having read this post.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Plus, there are a lot of great songs not on an album yet.....Crazy Easy, Shotgun, #27, Joy Ride, Sugar Will, Cornbread, Eh Hee, A Dream So Real, The Idea of You....to name a few.

Ugh, Cornbread is terrible.

Sugar Will is good, though. Most of the others are at least listenable, which is more than you can say for much of Stand Up.
  • Eh Hee & Shotgun are good.

Idea Of You is crap.. as was Can't Stop.

Hope this tour kicks ass.. still need to see The Stone live.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1