Year Zero New NIN Album

nothingman13nothingman13 Posts: 22
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Anybody else pick up NIN's new album today? I like it alot and feel like its a return to form after a kind of by the numbers With Teeth album. It's got some real challenging stuff on it but just some damn good songs. If you have any interest Reznor's stuff you should pick this up for sure.
Be Safe In East Cleveland
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I bought it today and I'm liking it alot so far.
  • RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    was never a big fan of theirs before but i like this album.
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    It's Badass!!! Loving Capital G!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • It's Badass!!! Loving Capital G!!
    I agree, that's probably my favorite song so far.
    Really like the Great Destroyer too. Zero Sum was nice and so was This is the Beginning.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    Its really good. The packaging, the concept, the music, THE LYRICS, are all amazing. I dont even own Pretty Hate Machine or any of the others. I cant wait for Year Zero part 2 next year!
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • drew2420drew2420 Posts: 61
    Picked it up today and I have to say this is a great album. Reznor definatly toned down the vocals on this one. The Fragile was my favorite NIN, but Year Zero might rival it. Cant wait for Year one
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    anyone else notice that the cd is black when opened and turns to white by the time it comes out of your cd player. If you didn't notice, put it back in, listen to a couple songs and take it out.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    dirtyT wrote:
    anyone else notice that the cd is black when opened and turns to white by the time it comes out of your cd player. If you didn't notice, put it back in, listen to a couple songs and take it out.

I haven't taken it out of my CD player yet. Trent is doing all sorts of weird stuff for this album, so honestly this wouldn't surprise me.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    i kinda feel bad now. seems everyone likes this album but me. i listened to it for 2 days and nothing changed really from what i thought after the first listen. even the only two songs i liked i could do without already. they feel over played after just 2 days. im sure ill go back to this in time. hopefully i will like his next cd.
  • RansomPTDRansomPTD Posts: 298
    a very noisey album, but a very good noisey album
    An AMAZING album!!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    The album is just a PART of Year Zero. Anyone that has been following the ARG knows what I mean. I had heard the album previously at a listening party, but I didnt listen to it online. I waited until I picked up my pre-ordered copy yesterday. I sat down, opened the lyrics, and listened/read from beginning to end.

The story is amazing; and because of the ARG, I know a lot of the backstory that goes along with the lyrics. By the time I got near the end of the album, I FELT like I had been through a war. The Another Version Of The Truth/In This Twilight/Zero Sum combination at the end had me in tears.
  • i kinda feel bad now. seems everyone likes this album but me. i listened to it for 2 days and nothing changed really from what i thought after the first listen. even the only two songs i liked i could do without already. they feel over played after just 2 days. im sure ill go back to this in time. hopefully i will like his next cd.

It's no big deal to not like an album. I felt the same way about Avacado and still do.
  • mensane wrote:
    The album is just a PART of Year Zero. Anyone that has been following the ARG knows what I mean. I had heard the album previously at a listening party, but I didnt listen to it online. I waited until I picked up my pre-ordered copy yesterday. I sat down, opened the lyrics, and listened/read from beginning to end.

The story is amazing; and because of the ARG, I know a lot of the backstory that goes along with the lyrics. By the time I got near the end of the album, I FELT like I had been through a war. The Another Version Of The Truth/In This Twilight/Zero Sum combination at the end had me in tears.

I love how the story and the disc work together. Speaking of wars, the ending of The Great Destroyer really does sound like the world is ending. Brilliant!!! And as you say with Truth, Twilight and Zero Sum, it makes you realize all that just happened and you may never get that back (in terms of the story). Where does the story go from this point in time?

Remember, we're all just zeros and one!!
    I'm amazed by Reznor's work on this album!!! He said the sequel will be finished up by the end of the year so we should see it sometime next year!!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    it's always a sad state of affairs when the marketing campaign far surpasses the finished product. year zero, indeed.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I should be getting it soon. I preordered it on amazon :D
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    Gonna blast that shit up tonight!!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    Its a cracking album!!!
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    excellent, as expected. many listenings shall follow.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• frogwater wrote:
    it's always a sad state of affairs when the marketing campaign far surpasses the finished product. year zero, indeed.

I'm afraid I agree. Whilst I do like the album, I think anyone who claims that this album is a stroke of genius (like TDS or The Fragile) is getting way too excited about the concept and marketing. The music is what counts, and this is a good album, nothing more.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I got through half of it before deciding I didn't want to listen to any more. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for it yet. I'm at best a casual NIN fan and got used to the long hiatus between albums. This new one is loud and cluttered. I don't really like it.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I'm afraid I agree. Whilst I do like the album, I think anyone who claims that this album is a stroke of genius (like TDS or The Fragile) is getting way too excited about the concept and marketing. The music is what counts, and this is a good album, nothing more.

It isn't marketing, as pretty much the only people who are really that aware of it and are following it are die hards, who would buy the album anyway. It's all a part of Year Zero, and to me, to listen to the album without it makes it incomplete.

I used to love TDS more than anything, but over time I have grown to appreciate the complexity and depth of The Fragile, and I think this one will be another like that. A real grower.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Happy to see there are some other big NIN nails fans on here. About the disk turning white when you heat it up, it actually reveals a binary code which translates to exterminal.net, another website relating to this whole Year Zero concept. All of this kind of stuff was not just a marketing technique it was a part of the whole experience. And yeah I would have to say I am really loving God Given and Me I'm Not right now but I hear something new each time I listen through it.
    Be Safe In East Cleveland
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    I would say that as a whole this album is better than "With Teeth", but the best songs on "With Teeth" are better than the best songs on this album. I enjoyed this album but it appears that Trent peaked with "The Fragile", and his best days are now behind him. This is still an enjoyable album and probably will end up being the best album to come out this year unless Axl releases "Chinese Democracy".
  • Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    Hasn't won me over yet, still giving it time though. Survivalism is pretty damn catchy, and like someone else said, the 3 songs at the end are a great way to close it.
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    What I really like is each album sounds *different* than the last. I am loving Year Zero, though I'm finding I want to listen more to the songs that I didn't already have from the USB leaks. Of the 'new' ones (besides the 4 off USB and leaks) I love Capital G, Vessel, God Given, Another Version of the Truth, and The Beginning of the End. I know he said they might not be touring much with this album, but I would love to hear his arrangements/interpretations of Year Zero songs live (I've heard Survivalism, and The Beginning of the End from live shows).
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    JaneNY wrote:
    What I really like is each album sounds *different* than the last. I am loving Year Zero, though I'm finding I want to listen more to the songs that I didn't already have from the USB leaks. Of the 'new' ones (besides the 4 off USB and leaks) I love Capital G, Vessel, God Given, Another Version of the Truth, and The Beginning of the End. I know he said they might not be touring much with this album, but I would love to hear his arrangements/interpretations of Year Zero songs live (I've heard Survivalism, and The Beginning of the End from live shows).

Unless i'm listening to the album as a whole, I skip to the non-leaked tracks too.

I initially was drawn to Capital G and The Great Destroyer (the two that stuck in my mind after hearing the album first), but after more time i'm more drawn to The Warning, The Good Soldier and Zero Sum. The only song I have been unable to get into yet is God Given.

And I know what you mean about wanting to hear how it could work live. I was very upset when the secomnd Birmingham show was cancelled...but now he owes us something special, and i'm glad of the chance to hear some of this new material (though I would ACTUALLY kill someone to hear We're In This Together).
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    I am up to "Capital G" and I love it so far.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?