ok... it's official... my own personal top ten favorite albums ever!!!!

13»

Comments

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    i got the dears... they're really cool... how is godspeed you black emperor? i might've heard them... are they good?

i also think i should've put Sonic Youth on my top ten... but allbeit i guess we're indie snobs... while they're ummm.... i don't know what's a good name for them?? i just haven't witnessed such a rare being ;)

I'm pretty terrible at describing a how a band sounds.....other than to say they are freaking incredible - very moody/visual/intense/beautiful/atmospheric. They play classical style music....with several guitar players, multiple drummers and percussionists, a string section etc etc etc

I would HIGHLY recommend checking them out

Here is a blurb from Wikipedia:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor is an avant-garde Canadian post-rock band based in Montreal, Quebec.

Formed in 1994, the ensemble has been quite influential in its genre, with bands from as far as Hong Kong and Singapore citing them as influences in their musical work. Working on a near orchestral scale, the nine-piece group has been known to create wide dynamic ranges, unique use of instrumentation and sounds, large songs that are composed almost classically with multiple movements within themselves, and engrossing use of art and visuals in both their album packaging and live performances.[1] They are currently on an indefinite hiatus, as members of the band are busy with many other projects; they have, however, made it clear that they have not disbanded.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Todd76 wrote:
    I'm pretty terrible at describing a how a band sounds.....other than to say they are freaking incredible - very moody/visual/intense/beautiful/atmospheric. They play classical style music....with several guitar players, multiple drummers and percussionists, a string section etc etc etc

I would HIGHLY recommend checking them out

Here is a blurb from Wikipedia:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor is an avant-garde Canadian post-rock band based in Montreal, Quebec.

Formed in 1994, the ensemble has been quite influential in its genre, with bands from as far as Hong Kong and Singapore citing them as influences in their musical work. Working on a near orchestral scale, the nine-piece group has been known to create wide dynamic ranges, unique use of instrumentation and sounds, large songs that are composed almost classically with multiple movements within themselves, and engrossing use of art and visuals in both their album packaging and live performances.[1] They are currently on an indefinite hiatus, as members of the band are busy with many other projects; they have, however, made it clear that they have not disbanded.
    cool, what album/albums do you recommend?
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    cool, what album/albums do you recommend?

man - thats a tough call......you really can't go wrong with any of their albums.

My favs are probably, Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven OR Yanqui U.X.O
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    if your lists don't include Hendrix's "Electric Ladyland", then your list ain't shit.
    "It's all happening"
  • if your lists don't include Hendrix's "Electric Ladyland", then your list ain't shit.
    if you don't include a list, then you ain't shit.
  • Todd76 wrote:
    man - thats a tough call......you really can't go wrong with any of their albums.

My favs are probably, Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven OR Yanqui U.X.O
    cool dude... i'm real excited listening to their music now... can't wait to hear it.
  • PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    1. Pearl Jam - Yield (but really just throw everything in here)
    2. The Beatles - Revolver (again, really any Beatles album)
    3. Temple of the Dog - s/t
    4. Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
    5. The Postal Service - Give Up
    6. Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb
    7. Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way
    8. Polaris - Music from the Adventures of Pete & Pete (laugh all you want, but anyone that remembers this band and their music knows how awesome it is)
    9. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellencholie and the Infinite Sadness
    10. Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Where the fuck is Born to Run on your lists? like it's not preference it's fucking science

1-Born to run (it would hypocritical of me to write that and then put like Vs. or something there)

the rest isn't in order but:
    In Utero
    London Calling
    Bottle and Fresh Horses (The Refreshments)
    Day for Night (Tragically Hip)
    Bubblegum (Mark Lanegan)
    Separation Sunday (Hold Steady)

That's only 7 but not sure what else is in that stratosphere, maybe No Code for PJ and Superunknown is pretty rad but I find it hard to say that either are in the Top 10 of all time, the only record from this year that might crack it is the new Ike Reilly but time will tell how well that holds up 6 months ago I would have said Neon Bible but then I stopped caring about that quick. Of course by this point in the thread everyone has stopped posting and nobody will care but whatev.

PS-made props to the people that put the Rheos on here, I think if I was a little older and had of gotten into them before 2067 and saw them more than once (although so Thankful that I did now) Melville might creep it's way on here.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    if you don't include a list, then you ain't shit.

honestly, anything I list now, will be a "poser" lists in your eyes wouldn't it?
    "It's all happening"
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    i shouldn't waste my time defending myself over people on the internet?? maybe you shouldn't waste your time explaining why anybody shouldn't waste any time defending themselves over people wasting their time offending people who waste their time listing their favorite albums.... to sum it all, maybe we all shouldn't even waste our times here on these pearl jam forums... maybe we should all just get a life, including you. get the idea?? we're all wasting our time here... especially when you're telling someone that their wasting their time. if it wasn't such a big deal... as you said, "who gives a shit" then you wouldn't of said anything.

anywaysss..............

yes... i do need bob dylan... in fact, i have to start buying some of his stuff at the music stores.... and i don't know who mmj is. i'm also missing black sabbath... and who else??? oh, yeah mc5, cream, jimi hendrix (wait, no, i don't like him) uhmmm.... god, i'm missing a lot of stuff. i don't like john lennon. help me out here... instead of dogging each other or calling others posers let's help each other buy suggesting great bands. what say ye?

oh and i also failed to include the grateful dead on the list in my ipod... i love those dudes too

yeah man. wasn't trying to put you down, it just seemed like with the post you made it must've taken you forever to type all that just to prove you're not a poser to people who don't even know you. but yeah whatever. so.....you don't know who mmj is? well i suggest them. amazing band, and judging from your musical taste which seems pretty good from what you've said, i'm sure you'd really dig all their stuff. check out at dawn, probably my favorite album of all time. but all of their stuff is great, z and okonokos would be good starts too.
  • honestly, anything I list now, will be a "poser" lists in your eyes wouldn't it?
    depends.... i tend not to be a dick like most on here... ;)
  • yeah man. wasn't trying to put you down, it just seemed like with the post you made it must've taken you forever to type all that just to prove you're not a poser to people who don't even know you. but yeah whatever. so.....you don't know who mmj is? well i suggest them. amazing band, and judging from your musical taste which seems pretty good from what you've said, i'm sure you'd really dig all their stuff. check out at dawn, probably my favorite album of all time. but all of their stuff is great, z and okonokos would be good starts too.
    well all i did was copy and paste the bands on my itunes list. what kind of music do mmj play? does it stand for anything? i'll go look 'em up
  • go prego pre Posts: 662
    well all i did was copy and paste the bands on my itunes list. what kind of music do mmj play? does it stand for anything? i'll go look 'em up
    to tell you the truth, i haven't heard of half the bands on your ipod list, and i'd probably think they're all shit.

but seriously, alice coltrane and no alice in chains?
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • go pre wrote:
    to tell you the truth, i haven't heard of half the bands on your ipod list, and i'd probably think they're all shit.

but seriously, alice coltrane and no alice in chains?

loser.
    yeah, no, seriously, i think you're the loser.
    i actually do have alice in chains. (i must've forgot to paste it on)

and the only reason why you haven't heard half of the bands on my ipod is cause, well, yeah.... you're the loser.

most of it is bosa nova shit, eclectic stuff... stuff that "uncool" people don't listen to. shit, most of that music gets praise worldwide and you haven't heard of it... yeah, smellls like a loser to me.... you oughtta drink some coffee, meet ladies, and learn how to dress nice from time to time then eventually you'll understand why my music is the shit...
    yeah, no, seriously, i think you're the loser.
    i actually do have alice in chains. (i must've forgot to paste it on)

and the only reason why you haven't heard half of the bands on my ipod is cause, well, yeah.... you're the loser.

most of it is bosa nova shit, eclectic stuff... stuff that "uncool" people don't listen to. shit, most of that music gets praise worldwide and you haven't heard of it... yeah, smellls like a loser to me.... you oughtta drink some coffee, meet ladies, and learn how to dress nice from time to time then eventually you'll understand why my music is the shit...
    is that all it take to like your music? i should try that, except for the meeting ladies part. my fiance might not care for that. i'm going to put coffee on my grocery list right now! i can't wait to like shit!
  • go pre wrote:
    is that all it take to like your music? i should try that, except for the meeting ladies part. my fiance might not care for that. i'm going to put coffee on my grocery list right now! i can't wait to like shit!
    you're are an immense dork.... but it fits well, since.... you're married.... or getting married, might i say.
    you're are an immense dork.... but it fits well, since.... you're married.... or getting married, might i say.
    so, you tell me to go out and meet ladies, but yet you have something against me planning to marry one?
  • go pre wrote:
    so, you tell me to go out and meet ladies, but yet you have something against me planning to marry one?
    oh, god.... and yet more reason why you're a dork.... i'm going to stop here... have a great day.
    oh, god.... and yet more reason why you're a dork.... i'm going to stop here... have a great day.
    fair enough, i'm going to bed.
  • go pre wrote:
    fair enough, i'm going to bed.
    funny thing is you're going to sleep not being aware at how i butchered your stupidity.
    funny thing is you're going to sleep not being aware at how i butchered your stupidity.
    before i sleep, i will pray to you, oh, god-of-all-that-you-think-you-are-god-of. thank you for putting me in my place. i've sure learned a lesson. maybe when i awake, i, too, will like listening to this "shit" music that you are so fond of.
  • go pre wrote:
    before i sleep, i will pray to you, oh, god-of-all-that-you-think-you-are-god-of. thank you for putting me in my place. i've sure learned a lesson. maybe when i awake, i, too, will like listening to this "shit" music that you are so fond of.
    wow, this is actually a better come-back than your prior one's...