Ray LaMontagne

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• alobaralobar Posts: 310
    Yeah, it's amazing how he can nail such a classic sound and his music is still beautiful and original.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i heard a new single of his just now, sounds great. i take it i won't be disappointed if i pick up the new album? :)
  • hes awesome.

trouble is incredible and the new one coming out 8/29 is just as good.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Forever my friend- what a beautiful song. the lyrics, his voice, and i love the open tuning on the guitar...
  • hes awesome.

trouble is incredible and the new one coming out 8/29 is just as good.

hmmmm...have you heard it...can you tell me where?
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • hmmmm...have you heard it...can you tell me where?

oink
    got the first album, loving it, so mellow....i love his voice. i'll have to check out the 2nd one when it's out :)
    'hold you in my arms' is just beautiful
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Going to see him tonight at the Hiro Ballroom in NYC. Pretty psyched.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

he's on conan tonite :)
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    How funny you mention him. I was just hipped to him last weekend. Pretty good stuff. I think I'll pick up his first record. I too am amazed how he can write such great music while keeping it so, so simple. That is one of the intreguing things about his stuff. He knows how to deliver a song.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • he also added a stop in L.A. September 18th at the Troubadour (so technically west hollywood). Tix go on sale tomorrow morning, oh how i wish I could make that one!
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    His new album is seriously good!

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • chimpat wrote:
    Going to see him tonight at the Hiro Ballroom in NYC. Pretty psyched.

nice. can you give a quick review sometime?
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    nice. can you give a quick review sometime?

The show was really cool. First off, Hiro Ballroom is just an awesome, tiny venue. The crowd was one of the best I've ever seen, you could hear a pin drop during Ray's set.

The actual music was interesting. Ray's whole set consisted of playing his new album pretty much front to back. Ray's got a great voice, but his personality onstage is extremely introverted, barely saying anything and extremely soft-spoken. The encore consisted of "Hold You In My Arms", "Jolene" and "Shelter", all from his first album. Pretty interesting that he didn't play "Trouble". I'd recommend him if you're looking for some chill music, but don't be looking for a ton of stage banter.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• sweet. thanks.
    cool review! yeah i signed up on his site to see when he'd be in town, i saw the LA one....hopefully he'll come up to the bay area, i'd be hip to checking him out. his stuff is nice mellowing out music for sure
  • Has anyone seen Ray lately? Or, more accurately - have you seen him more than once? He's playing two dates here in Chicago next month, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to go to both - it's a great little venue right by my house, and the tickets are cheap. Does he mix up his setlist at all?
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Has anyone seen Ray lately? Or, more accurately - have you seen him more than once? He's playing two dates here in Chicago next month, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to go to both - it's a great little venue right by my house, and the tickets are cheap. Does he mix up his setlist at all?

when is this? ive heard a lot about him lately and id consider going...
  • Nov. 28 - 29 at the Vic. Goes on sale tomorrow.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Nov. 28 - 29 at the Vic. Goes on sale tomorrow.

hmmm. ill listen to my gf's cd when i go visit her this weekend. if it sells out, it sells out.
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I can't wait to see him live for a full show. We caught him last year at Radio City for a benefit for Katrina.....only played 3 songs, but he was amazing!!!!!!!!
    My lips are shaking.......
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    I was just recently exposed to him. I'm really lovin everything that he encompasses. Agreed that the sound is just so beautiful and classic. :o There's much soul to it...which is something that I think is missing with a lot of newer artists these days. I LOVE the Otis seeping through. Mmm mmm mmm!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • To me, it's like Damien Rice, Ryan Adams, and Joe Cocker had a baby and named it Ray LaMontagne.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    hehe that's funny..and cute. :p
    Can Otis be the Grandpa then?
    :D

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Hell yes. ;)
  • i Love Ray Lamontagne! his voice is amazing! his live show is unbelievavble too
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • larslars Posts: 524
    Just like most music without balls...he is for the women
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    i'm really digging 3 more days.
    Live Free or Die!