Alt-Country, Folk Rock, Country Rock . . .

13»

Comments

• soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    NakedClown wrote:
    Everyone has already said some of my favorites, but this one was only mentioned as a precursor to another thing and deserves a mention of its own:

SLOBBERBONE

I finally went ahead and bought Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today. A little aggressive for my taste these days, but I like it overall.

I also purchased Dog Days by Blue Mountain this weekend. LOVE this one. The bass player/backup vocalist is twin sister to John Stirratt from Wilco, so I've been sing their name around for a while. I've love the bluesy touch here and there, and the vocals are just what I'm looking for. I'm sorry it took so long to check them out.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    If you all haven't yet, you should check out Ryan Bingham. I think he just has one album - "Mescalito".
    gabers wrote:
    If you all haven't yet, you should check out Ryan Bingham. I think he just has one album - "Mescalito".

I was just looking at his album the other day! I chose to go with the Blue Mountain instead. I'll keep Mescalito on my wishlist. He seems to have the rough, gravelly kind of voice I like.
  • You definitely have to check out Lucero and also Drag the River. They are awesome.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    soclose wrote:
    I was just looking at his album the other day! I chose to go with the Blue Mountain instead. I'll keep Mescalito on my wishlist. He seems to have the rough, gravelly kind of voice I like.

Blue Mountain have a new album? I liked the one cd I heard of theirs.
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    here are some others not yet mentioned

16 Horsepower
    Richard Buckner
    James McMurtry
    Yonder Mountain String Band
    The Band
    Levon Helm
    Cowboy Junkies
    Hem
    Alejandro Escovedo
    Ryan Adams- Whiskeytown
    Buick McCane
    the Minions
    gabers wrote:
    Blue Mountain have a new album? I liked the one cd I heard of theirs.

I just took a quick look at amazon.com, and I found there's an album called Midnight in Mississippi & Omnibus available for pre-order, so I'm guessing that's a new release? My understanding is that they just got back together in the last year or so, so that would make sense.
  • ISUalISUal Posts: 40
    Drive-By Truckers are the best live band I've ever seen. Also, I'm a huge fan of Son Volt, Uncle Tup, Wilco, Jayhawks, Whiskeytown (or anything Ryan Adams), The Felice Brothers, Lucinda Williams, and Fork in the Road (relatively unknown band from SW Iowa).
    "I know I was born, and I know that I'll die, but in between is mine..." Ed
  • baby83baby83 Posts: 8
    Didn't really read this thread at all, but anyway, mine:

-Gram Parsons
    -Flying Burrito Bros.
    -Wilco
    -Alison Moorer
    -Emmylou Harris
    -Johnny Cash
    -Waylon Jennings
    -Shooter Jennings
    -M. Ward
    -Bright Eyes
    -Bob Dylan
    -Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (esp. Howl <3)
    -The Band
    -Kathleen Edwards
    -Mike Ness
    -She & Him (not really rock, but a new fave)
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    telephone and telegraph :)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
    Bright Eyes - if CB even belongs in this category. Amazing.