Longest concert ever attended?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2008 in Other Music
meaning longest in set time length.

For me it would be any of the jam bands, like string cheese or widespread panic.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nothingheadnothinghead Posts: 270
    probably doesn't count, but when I saw Dave Chappelle live in San Francisco, he was on stage for just shy of four hours. was pretty damn hilarious, too.
  • phatuciniphatucini Posts: 399
    Just saw the Mars Volta recently in Paris and they played for 3 hours and 10 minutes (190min!) That was pretty though 'cause at the end I could hardly stand.
  • Motley Crue...I don't recall who opened for them, but the show started at 630 and ended at 1245...I believe they did 5 encores...that was years ago on the Dr FG tour...twas craziness!
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Motley Crue...I don't recall who opened for them, but the show started at 630 and ended at 1245...I believe they did 5 encores...that was years ago on the Dr FG tour...twas craziness!

Jesus in a tracksuit :D.........that must have been hellish.I would have been fixing the noose.

I have three for different reasons

Smashing Pumpkins,Gish tour.Doors opened at 6.While waiting to get in we saw Billy and Darcy leave the venue.
    The support band were called Medicine.I should have been heavily medicated to withstand their drone.
    By 12:30pm the Pumpkins still hadn't come on.Apologise were made by a roadie.When Billy and Darcy had been seen leaving they were going to watch the firework display that always marks the end of the Edinburgh Festival.The display had ended at midnight but they hadn't returned.They finally came on stage at 1am.The venue was all but empty except for a few die hard night owls.We left at 2am and they were still onstage.
    The length of time we were there parking fee's cost me £12!!

Steve Earle.Very good but played for three hours before we left.My brother later told me he played for another 45 minutes but it all got a bit sad old bastard.

Henry Rollins spoken word.Four hours.But he could have doubled that and the audience would have still be rivited to his every word.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • PJ Grand Rapids, 2006. 3 hours.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    phatucini wrote:
    Just saw the Mars Volta recently in Paris and they played for 3 hours and 10 minutes (190min!) That was pretty though 'cause at the end I could hardly stand.
    I was there too. It seemed to go on forever!
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Yeah, when I saw Mars Volta I left after 2 hours 30 (they had said like 3 or 4 times they would play for 3 hours so I have no doubt they managed it). I kept zoning out and it became more of a chore than a pleasure. Only time I've ever walked out of a gig early, but still the longest gig I've ever attended.

Second longest would be Broken Social Scene. 2h15 of awesomeness (continuous set too, no encore breaks).
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    FOr just one band, Pearl Jam in Ottawa, 2 hrs. 45 mins.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    Grateful Dead London Rainbow Theatre 1981. Well over 3 hours, seemed like 8 hours to me, I didn't enjoy it at all. I'm sure I would love it now, but back then I was too young and too much into hard rock to apreciate them.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Paul McCartney........I think it lasted 2:45
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I think it was probably Springsteen in 78 or 80. He was doing close to 4 hour shows at that time. Runner up would be State College Pearl Jam May 3 2003.

edit - I should add The Cure. I've only seen them once, last year at Download, but that had to have clocked in at 3 hours plus. And it was good too.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Smashing Pumpkins on the Mellon Collie tour, well over 3 hours. would've been a great show if they had known when to end it, but instead turned into a tedious bore-fest
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,972
    Fender_Man wrote:
    Grateful Dead London Rainbow Theatre 1981. Well over 3 hours, seemed like 8 hours to me

That's funny :p! Every time I've seen RUSH, I've gotten my money's worth!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Paul McCartney........I think it lasted 2:45
    I would have actually killed myself. Straight up.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I would have actually killed myself. Straight up.

... and I'd have been right behind you waiting to bludgeon myself to death with the butt of your still smoking gun!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,972
    Fender_Man wrote:
    ... and I'd have been right behind you waiting to bludgeon myself to death with the butt of your still smoking gun!
    I'd have done the same or shot myself if there were still bullets :p!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • illfatedillfated Posts: 65
    FOr just one band, Pearl Jam in Ottawa, 2 hrs. 45 mins.

Yup, same for me...what a show.
    illfated wrote:
    Yup, same for me...what a show.
    It was amazing. Probably the second best show I've ever seen (Boss is first).
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Ween in Buffalo NY 3 and a half hours.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Maybe PJ Mansfield 3, 03 (if you include the pre-set)?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • T-CaseT-Case Posts: 186
    imalive wrote:
    That's funny :p! Every time I've seen RUSH, I've gotten my money's worth!
    Yeah when i saw Rush in '04 it was their 30th anniversary tour so they played for at least or maybe even over 3 hours, haha it seemed like they played every song in their catalog
    PJ at MSG in 2008! Mission Accomplished

The band all knows. We're too afraid to mention.
    Don't want to be part of Frank's luncheon.
    Lose weight. Be safe. Where's Mike McCready?
    My god he's been ate!
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    KISS - just over three non-stop hours! It was fantastic!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    T-Case wrote:
    Yeah when i saw Rush in '04 it was their 30th anniversary tour so they played for at least or maybe even over 3 hours, haha it seemed like they played every song in their catalog

My other favorite band. Going to see them 2 times this summer. That'll make 17!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Either the Grateful Dead (who always put on a long show) or Springsteen on the Born In The U.S.A. tour. That was a monster (30+ song) show at the L.A. Coliseum.

One of the best things about the dead is that they'd come to town and play on Fri/Sat/Sun, and not repeat a song all weekend. I'm thinking some other band should start touring like that...
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
    Wait, Rush was the longest show at 3 hrs.
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    PJ Gorge 05 and 06 I
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • The Mars Volta -2h55m one of the best concerts I've experienced
    11/01/96 warsaw
    06/15/00 katowice
    06/16/00 katowice
    09/22/06 prague
    09/23/06 berlin
    09/25/06 vienna
    06/13/07 chorzow
  • Think it must have been Bon Jovi at Hyde Park in London a few years ago, about 3 and a half hours. Have to admit they were damn good too!
    London Nov 96, London May 00, Cardiff June 00, Las Vegas June 03, London April 06, Dublin Aug 06, Reading Aug 06, London June 07, New York x2 June 08, Manchester Aug 09, London August 09, London June 10, Manchester June 12, IOW June 12, EV London July 12, Milton Keynes June 14, EV London x2 June 17, London June 18, London July 18, EV London July 19, Hyde Park x 2 July 23 
  • hmmm raq or phish at one or another festy or nye show
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    =/+ 3hrs