Are you nervous before a concert?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited March 2008 in Other Music
There was a previous thread about pre concert rituals, but heres one that wasnt covered. Do you get nervous before attending a show?

I seem to hype up, or build up shows before attending, and almost expect every single show to change my life and completely alter my life. Oddly enough I am rarely let down.

Before a show I get nervous, sort of get figety, and have trouble eating before a show.

Last night I got a couple slices of pizza before the uncle bruce show in portland and although pizza is my fav food, I could only eat 1 slice and even that one I had to almost force down.

Do you get nervous as well?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Nervous? No.

Excited? Yes.
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    For me it's nervous energy before and slight depression (you know, because it's over) the day after a concert.

How was the Springsteen show, anyway?
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • the springsteen show was great. never seen him before so didnt know what to expect. But he didnt disappoint. They were firing on all cylinders last night. They played all the old hits and a bunch of new songs as well, so it was great. It was my first stadium show ever as well, never seen a show bigger than the PJ San Fran III show, and that was like 10,000. Last night was 20,000 people.

Definitely check out Bruce live. The crowd was awesome, I couldnt have asked for a better setlist, everything I wanted to hear I heard. And the band and Bruce were just in amazing form. The guitar solos and the sax solos were mindblowing.

Hell of a show
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I get very fidgety and restless about 30 mins before the scheduled start time. I just sit in my seat and look all around and can't sit still. I apologize to whomever I am sitting with, but I just can't pay attention. Once start time rolls around and the boys are late, I just keep in that edgy state until the lights hit.

On the 05 tour I saw two message board people I recognized (from a yahoo group) waving at me. I had never met them before but I knew them from their pictures, and they knew me. I just sort of nodded and smiled to them but didn't actually get up and wave and go over and say hi. I felt like an ass when one of them asked me a few days later online if I was ok. I think she said something to the effect of she thought I just didn't want to say hi because it was "real life". I told her I looked for her after the show but they were gone. I promised to say hi next time. Hah.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    the springsteen show was great. never seen him before so didnt know what to expect. But he didnt disappoint. They were firing on all cylinders last night. They played all the old hits and a bunch of new songs as well, so it was great. It was my first stadium show ever as well, never seen a show bigger than the PJ San Fran III show, and that was like 10,000. Last night was 20,000 people.

Definitely check out Bruce live. The crowd was awesome, I couldnt have asked for a better setlist, everything I wanted to hear I heard. And the band and Bruce were just in amazing form. The guitar solos and the sax solos were mindblowing.

Hell of a show

Awesome. Glad you had a good time. I drove by the Rose Quarter late last night, well, early this morning and was still bummed about not being able to attend the show.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    yeah i know what you mean...you're just like wow i'm seeing this awesome band that i love. cool. pearl jam.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I cannot imagine what it'll be like to see PJ for the first time in Camden. It will be unreal... absolutely unreal.

The closest experience I've had to what you're talking about was when I saw Chris Cornell last Spring in Philly. I waited for about four hours in line and got front rail... when he came out and they tore into Cochise it was insane. Almost felt like a dream. PJ will probably be like that, and PJ won't even be front row (most likely ;)).
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    yeah ive got the nervous bit before. same here-usually not hungry before or at concerts. dont know why that happens
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Yep, I do, especially for PJ. :) I also have the "depression" or let down after, which isn't always a bad thing, as that's what got us to HOB. ;)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
    DOSW wrote:
    I cannot imagine what it'll be like to see PJ for the first time in Camden. It will be unreal... absolutely unreal.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. I wish I could see PJ for the first time again.
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    the only concerts i get nervous before are pearl jam and kid rock!!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    SENROCK! wrote:
    the only concerts i get nervous before are pearl jam and kid rock!!!! :D

hahahahahahaha

I knew you would be nervous seeing KID!!!! :p
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Still get jittery after all these years especially if its a huge gig,P.J,U2,White Stripes,Beck.
    I hate wasting time,going to gigs with friends who would rather hang around the bar drinking then go in as the band are walking on stage.That drives me nuts.
    My adrenaline heightens and and I feel very alive and ready for it.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Yes, but a good kind of nervous.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I seem to hype up, or build up shows before attending, and almost expect every single show to change my life and completely alter my life. Oddly enough I am rarely let down.

?

Okay, I've only seen Pearl Jam twice but the second time, I was worried it wouldn't be as good. Of course I wasn't let down and this is one of the reasons why I love the band so much.
  • There was a previous thread about pre concert rituals, but heres one that wasnt covered. Do you get nervous before attending a show?

I seem to hype up, or build up shows before attending, and almost expect every single show to change my life and completely alter my life. Oddly enough I am rarely let down.

Before a show I get nervous, sort of get figety, and have trouble eating before a show.

Last night I got a couple slices of pizza before the uncle bruce show in portland and although pizza is my fav food, I could only eat 1 slice and even that one I had to almost force down.

Do you get nervous as well?

no i get fucked up though
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    the springsteen show was great. never seen him before so didnt know what to expect. But he didnt disappoint. They were firing on all cylinders last night. They played all the old hits and a bunch of new songs as well, so it was great. It was my first stadium show ever as well, never seen a show bigger than the PJ San Fran III show, and that was like 10,000. Last night was 20,000 people.

Hell of a show

Good description of a Bruce show. He's fucking unreal. One of the best concerts I've ever seen - probably better than PJ. The crowd creates one of the best atmospheres I've ever seen, and the band is so polished, spinning on all cylinders, and really knows how to put on a show. Bruce has more energy than I've ever seen from someone on stage this side of Mick Jagger...

I always get nervously excited for shows though. Concerts are my favorite thing in the world. I get kind of jittery and such before the show.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    BinFrog wrote:
    Sit back and enjoy the ride. I wish I could see PJ for the first time again.

It's a great feeling. My first and only Pearl Jam show was in '06...it was the single greatest moment of my life. My second time will be MSG this summer...:D
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    seeing as the last concert i went to was august, i don't recall.

i remember being very excited for pearl jam when i first saw them, although i dont think i was nervous.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    Okay, I've only seen Pearl Jam twice but the second time, I was worried it wouldn't be as good. Of course I wasn't let down and this is one of the reasons why I love the band so much.

My second show had more of an emotional impact than my first.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    It depends on where I am and where the gig is.* If I need a lot of transport to get to the gig (like when I'm at home) I worry because Ive missed gigs because of cancelled trains etc. in the past.* I don't if it's close by (like when I'm at uni), because there's nothing to stop me getting there.

I used to get nervous all the time, but now I go to quite a few gigs it's more of a habit like going to the cinema or something.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Not nervous, just usually really, really excited. I love going to shows in general. Its like church for me (or what I think church should be, since I don't go to church). The noise, the crowd, the release. I love it. So its more like excited anticipation.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • I get really really nervous before non-summertime concerts, but I think that has more to do with having to drive long distances and skip classes.
    I get most nervous about general admission shows since I'm 5'2" and I'm constantly worried that I won't be able to see anything.
  • I get very nervous before big stadium shows. I become very antsy and my buddy will be talking to me but I'm not really paying attention. I'm just kind of like, "yeah. Uh-huh. Yeah. Great." But I'm calm once the show starts...well not calm like I'm just sitting there, but I'm not in a panic anymore. I guess my biggest fear is doing something goofy like tripping down the steps and breaking my nose and having people record it with there cell phones and then seeing the footage on youtube. Like I would hate this scenario: "Hey man, how was the show?" "It was cool...but this one guy...haha... he...you know what, I'll just show it to you on youtube. It's classic."
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i only get nervous 9:55 on a saturday morning the day tickets go on sale at ticketmaster for a show that i know is gonna sell out like radiohead or nin
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Nervous? No.

Excited? Yes.

Ha. This is exactly what I was going to say. Dude, relax and have a drink or 10. It's not like you're playing lead guitar or something.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • When I saw PJ at Wembley I was a bag of nerves the whole day, that was probably the worst I've ever been.
    I'm going to see Down in Birmingham and Dublin in the next few weeks and I know I won't be able to eat before the shows and i'll get really nervous and talkative just before they take to the stage. It's stupid really, i've seen them before and i'm a gig vet but I've still got butterflies forming! Hmm... maybe it's just excitement, I don't know... :confused:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    im never nervous before a show cause in my mind that band is there for ME. no one else. just for me. :D:D though when i see rollins i do get butterflies. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Somebody else's concert? No. Why?

One of my own? Yeah, I nearly shit myself.
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Not really. It's not like going to a sporting event where you don't know whether your team will win or lose. Even if the concert turns out to be disappointing, there should be at least a few good moments if it's a band you're really into.